Eloise and the Rabbit

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

5 comments

Mystery

Chapter 1

As Eloise clutched her stuffed rabbit to her chest, the woods around her seemed to grow even larger. The little girl’s eyes widened as the solemn moonlight peeked through the leaves. This morning she never would have thought she would be in this situation. Eloise turned slowly in a circle as she tried to remember how she got here. For an odd reason, everything mushed in her brain, and no memories seemed very clear. 

Taking a deep breath, she stepped forward. A stick snapped under her foot and she closed her eyes. Slowly opening an eye as she took more steps, Eloise felt more confident as she searched the woods around her. She was eight today, and knew nothing could get in her way. Of what? She wondered. What could nothing get in her way of? The young girl sighed and looked into the smooth black eyes of her rabbit.

“What do I do, Cotton?” Eloise asked her rabbit, “What is going on, w-why am I here?” She started to cry and stumbled over a log. *Gasp* A log! She must be near a river, or a body of water of some sort! Eloise looked around and scrambled towards a thinning of the trees ahead. A river ran in the clearing. She knelt and set her rabbit down as she cupped her hands. She dipped her hands in and drank, not knowing before how thirsty she was. Impulsively, Eloise stood up and started walking downriver, after picking her rabbit back up. 

Her legs and feet aching, she came across a lone log cabin standing near the river. Almost in a trance, the little girl slowly walked up to the front door and knocked. Eloise quickly pulled her hand back and wondered if that had been a good choice. Using her young looks to her advantage, she hugged her rabbit and stared at the door. A young woman opened it, with a broom in one hand and a baby on her opposite hip.

“Mom?!” Eloise said wide eyed as a memory popped into her head.

‘“Blow out the candles, Eloise! Make a wish sweetheart.” Her mother said as Eloise sat in front of a cake with eight candles. Her mom held her hand as she closed her eyes. I wish…’ 

        

Chapter 2

The woman looked surprised, “I’m sorry, but I think you’re thinking of someone else,” she started to close the door, “Bye.”

“Um, wait, I’m sorry. I was wondering where I am and if you could please give me, uh, directions.” Eloise startled when the door shut on her face, again wondering why she came here and how. 

Eloise clambered off the porch and looked back at the house. It was oddly familiar, but her mind couldn’t place where.


……….


‘Eloise sat at the dining table long after her mom and little sister disappeared. ‘How?’ She wondered, ‘Why?’ She was so confused. As she sat, she heard someone come up behind her. A needle poked into her back. Eloise started to scream but slowly fell into a deep, deep sleep…’

……….

Eloise walked and walked. She couldn’t make sense of the memories that came. For a second everything would seem clear, then everything would mush together again. Her little stuffed rabbit was all she had to accompany her on this journey. ‘Journey?’ Eloise asked herself, ‘What is going on?!’ 

“Cotton, I really am scared. I have no idea what is going on here, I wish you could help.” Eloise had collected leaves and layed down, “Tomorrow is the day I hope I find what I’m looking for. Answers.”


Chapter 3

 The young girl walked more in the morning, knew where to go, but did not understand how. As Eloise walked, she felt an odd freedom. The slight breeze flowing through her hair and tickling her neck felt wonderful. 


……….


‘Eloise and her mom walked through a forest, holding hands and swinging them. The wind flew through their hair and made Eloise feel as if she was flying too. Her mother squeezed her hand and smiled sadly down at her, “I love you my little bluebird, no matter what happens, I love you.” Confused, Eloise just smiled and hopped down the trail, then opened the picnic basket…’


……….


Eloise finally came across… the same exact cabin she’d seen before! She must have gone in a circle, but Eloise was sure she couldn’t have been. The little girl hopped back up those steps and knocked on the door. She closed her eyes, scared to see the woman she thought was her mother again. This time, it was a middle aged man who opened the door.

        “Why, Eloise!” The man gestured inside, “Come on in darling girl, have a seat. We’ve been expecting you.” Eloise gaped at him, and, as if in a trance, she stumbled into the house. The man shut the door behind her and sat in a comfy looking chair. Eloise looked around and felt odd. This place was again familiar, and she gazed in wonder at the cabin around her. 

Fancy furniture was placed all around the room and many things were strewn across the floor.

“Where are we?” Eloise asked, amazed and scared by the odd feeling in her stomach.

“Soon enough, young one. Soon enough.” The man smiled mysteriously, “Come with me.” He gestured her towards him as he headed to the door. Almost as if being pulled by a string, Eloise felt compelled to follow him. The door opened to stairs, and they led downwards. 


……….


‘“Never trust strangers, my little bluebird. Always stay near me.” Her mother walked down the stairs as Eloise followed. “I won’t, Mother, I won’t.” The young girl never knew why her mom was always so suspicious and stressed. “Good, now Eloise, please help me with…”’

……….


Downstairs, Eloise gasped and screamed, “Mom!! What- Why- I’m sorry but, guy, who did you say y-,” she looked around for the man, and realized he wasn’t there. The woman she thought was her mother was tied up and had cuts all over her face. There was a gag in her mouth and tears streamed down her ashen cheeks. Eloise searched for the baby and found her in an old carriage with a gag. A baby had a gag. Eloise ran to her mom after taking the baby and the gag out of her mouth.

            “Mom, I mean, um, ma’am, here,” She took her mother’s gag out and helped her up.

           “Go, run!” The woman said quickly, “Leave me here. Take the baby and run. Go and fly, my little bluebird!” Eloise shook her head and frowned. She was so confused.

           “Why is this all ha-“ She got cut off by a noise behind her. Turning around slowly, clutching the baby and her rabbit to her chest, she saw the man.

           “No, you can’t leave now,” He said smiling in a way that made Eloise shrivel up inside, “Can you?”


To be continued… 



April 16, 2020 18:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

21:16 Apr 22, 2020

Nora, I loved your story! I also loved the names you used for the main character and the bunny. When I read cotton my heart smiled because I thought it was so adorable. You did a great job at fleshing out the world we are in and the confusion that Eloise is feeling. I was sucked into your story and I too wanted to know why she kept thinking the cabin looked so familiar. The way you build up suspense is wonderful. I can't wait to continue reading the rest of this story! You should finish writing this and publish it! Keep up the awesome work!

Reply

Nora R
13:07 Apr 23, 2020

Thank you so much, Stephanie! Cotton has always been a name in the back of my head, and I do hope I can finish this story. Thank you for the encouragement!

Reply

16:04 Apr 23, 2020

Well I'm going to have that you will finish it and when you do I would love to read it!

Reply

Nora R
17:38 Apr 23, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

17:47 Apr 23, 2020

You're welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.