0 comments

General

As I opened my eyes dark blurry spots greet me. Cataracts took a away my once prefect vision. Was it ten or was it fifteen years ago. I don't remember. I never seem to anymore. Doctor whatisface told me I had the dementia. Was it yesterday or was it a year ago. Trying to remember gives me a headache. I feel if there's something important today but I can't remember. I hear a knock on the door and then it opens without permission. "Dad". A man calls out to me. I wrinkle my eyes in confusion. "Dad I'm sorry if we came to early. The kids were to excited to see you. They stayed up all night making a cake" the man continues. The man kids rush to me and scream Grandpa at me. I rasply reply". Do I know you?". " Daddy he's forgotten us again. You said he was getting better. He remembered us every week of this whole month that we visited him." A young girl cried out. Huge fat years rolled out of her eyes. "Daddy I'm scared what if he never remembers us again. The man crouches down and wipes his child tears away and says. Never will Grandpa forget us permanently there's one thing that's so important to him that he always comes back to us. The man gets up and approaches me. "Dad I know you get annoyed with presents but we got you something. He gives me a gift wrapped box. Im about to refused and ask again who he is but he clasps my hand and says just open it. I slowly unwrapped the box with my liver spotted wrinkled hands and open the box. Inside was a picture frame. I squinted and squinted to see past the blurry spots. Suddenly I smiled so wide. The most beautifulest woman in a white wedding dress was wrapped around a goofy looking nerd. With messy all over the place hair. In the womans arms was a baby boy sleeping . "I'm glad you turned out to look like your mother Adam " I laughed. Better you looking like her than ugly looking me. "Daddy he remembers". Grandad do you remember me the girl asked shyly. Of course I do petunia. You was named after the best woman I know. I winked at her. Petunia ran and hugged me. Careful petunia. I'm a old bag of bones not that I've turned 100 to day. I kept my promise Adam. Before your mother died she asked me to live to hundred to look after you. You may look like your mother son but you take after me waiting until your over 50 to have kids. Why son. He laughs and Gives me a hug. Happy 100 birthday dad. I smile and close my eyes and dream of my dear departed wife. Soon petunia. I'll be with you soon.

August 03, 2019 00:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.