THe Spider and The Butterfly

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story about a character on a quest, trying to "prove themselves."... view prompt

0 comments

General

She was hiding in a bush, watching people walk by. Most people hated her kind, so she was careful to not be seen. But, she heard a voice of someone calling her. "Hello? Are you alright in there?"

She looked at him scared. "You...you aren't going to hurt me are you?"

He smiled and held out a hand. "No, of course not. Come out and show yourself."

She walked out of the bush slowly, her lower half was a spider, and the top half was human looking. "Er, this is me." she shook not knowing what he would do.

"Hum, not bad looking." he looked over her smiling.

"Really? You mean it?" she was shocked, only others of her own kind found her remotely good looking.

“Yes, I really like spiders. They are really cute and they help get rid of bad bugs.”

“Not many people think spiders are cute, they usually think they are creepy.” she looked at him oddly, this guy was rather unique. Not just in personality but in looks, he looked like a butterfly with four arms and antenna and yellow wings.

“Well I don't think so, I guess I am a bit odd in that way. Especially for what I am.” he chuckled

“Yes, I would think you would be scared of me, not thinking that I was cute.”

“Well... am not what I seem to be.” he looked nervous.

“Oh? What are you then?” she was curious, why did he seem so nervous?

“I am a tarantula hawk. They well usually eat spiders.” he bit his lip a bit.

“Oh I see, I am surprised you told me. You don't seem the type to eat me though, you seem really nice.”

“I wouldn't eat you, I mean you are the first one of your kind who was nice to me.”

“Well, driders can be cruel usually. But, I am not like most of them. That is probably because I am only half drider.”

“Oh really? So, one parent was something else? I never heard of driders being with other species.” he looked curious

“Yeah, well my dad was won over by a pretty bee anthro queen. That is why I have these wings.” she pointed to the wings on her back.

“Oh, I wondered about that! Um, so you are a princess then?”

“I guess you can say that, I don't feel like anyone special though.” she looked down not wanting to be treated differently because her mother was a queen.

“Oh, why is that? You should feel like you are special, I will make sure you will think you are the best!” he put a hand under her chin.

“Um, you don't have to do that. It's not that I don't feel good about myself, I just don't think I am a big deal.”

“But you are, you are kind and you seem very brave!”

“Um, thanks.” she wasn't used to people complimenting her much, it was a bit strange.

“You really need to see that someone could be good to you. What is it you wish? Maybe I can make it come true?” he said looking in her eyes

“You are going to think it silly.” she blushed, he didn't seem the sort to laugh at it but she could be wrong.

“Just tell me what it is, please?” he gave her a pleading look.

“Well, I had a dream I went to the castle, and I was a hero by saving the prince and welcomed there.” she looked down, wondering how one such as her could be a hero?How could he make that come true.

“I don't think it is silly, it is noble. We should travel and make your dream come true. We shall go on a journey!” he said as he raised his hand in the air with a triumphant sign.

“How? I can make webs but I am not a good fighter!” it seemed impossible

“Fighting is not the only way to become a hero. Helping people is another way.” he held out his hand to her. “Come with me and you will see.”

She took his hand, wanting to believe his words were true. “I...I will try...”

“You will be glad you went with me, now I have a question for you. Do you trust me?” he squeezed my hand with a questioning look

“Yes, I trust you.” she smiled at him. “You are the kindest person I ever met.”

“Well then, hang on!” then, suddenly they were in the middle of the forest.

“Whoa, that is amazing! How did you do that?” her mouth gaped open in surprise.

“It's an ability of mine, I actually found out everyone has a special ability in this world.”

“Really? That means, I have one too?” what was it she wondered

“Yes, and I am sure your dream links with your ability.”

“I can't wait to find out what it is! How do we find it out?” was there some sort of test?

“It will come to you when you need it the most, that is what happened to me.”

“Oh, so we have to wait until trouble shows itself. That seems kind of nerve wracking you know?” she was nervous

“It doesn't always happen when there's trouble, just when you need it.” he shrugged. “I know that is kind of vague.”

“Isn't there some sort of test maybe? I would like that better!” she wanted to know what it was bad.

“Not that I know of, sorry!” he looked sheepish. “Anyways, shall we start on our journey?”

“Um, in the middle of the forest? Shouldn't we go to a town to do good deeds?” she couldn't see being able to do much here.

“Well, if we went to a town people would probably attack you, it is best we start here.”

“Oh, yeah I guess your right. But, how will we find someone to help out here?” were they going to just help animals? How can she become a hero just doing that?

“Oh, well rangers and druids pass through the forest. You can help one of those.”

“Oh but wouldn't a ranger attack me?” she frowned, this seemed dangerous.

“I think if you weren't doing anything bad they would leave you alone, but I am not really sure.” he shrugged

“Oh man, how am I supposed to help anyone if everyone tries to attack me!” she groans a bit, this was going to be tough

“I doubt EVERYONE will, I mean I didn't attack you when I saw you.” he assured her.

“I guess you have a point there. But this will still be very difficult to do, are you really sure you want to try?”

“Of course, you deserve for something good to happen to you.” he smiled, nodding.

“Why? I didn't do anything that was particularity good?” she rubbed her head in a confused manner

“I don't know, I just feel you do. Hum, I know we can do something to practice! That way finding your ability won't feel so random.”

“OK, that sounds good. So, will we spar or something?” she asked.

“Yes we could do that. We will need a weapon for you though. I have a few different kinds in my bag, I have a bow and arrow, a mace, and a sword.”

“Well we can't spar with a boy and arrow, so I will take the sword.” she didn't think a mace was for her.

“Well if you are interested in the bow and arrow, we could do target practice.”

She thought about it. “Yeah I think it is a good idea to know the sword and the bow and arrow.”

So he set up a target, and she began to practice with it. She was not so good, but he helped her learn how to aim so she became better slowly. “Well I think that is enough.”

“You know something, I never introduced myself, my name is Gwen. Sorry about not doing that before.” she blushed

“Oh, well neither did I come to think of it, I guess we got so interested in each other we forgot to do that. My name is Peter.”

“So, shall we spar with swords now?” she asked

“Of course, let me show you how to do it.” He then began showing her how to hold a sword and how to parry and thrust. She copied him, then they began sparring together. He was easy on her at first, then began to up the challenge as she learned more.

“Well it seems my abilities haven't shown up yet..” she sighed, she had been hoping they would.

“Be patient.” he then started walking. “I think you know enough to start adventuring now.”

“Oh yeah! I can't wait to be a hero.” she smiled and moved along behind him, looking around.

“Well becoming a hero is a slow process. Start at the beginning. You shouldn't expect too much of yourself.” he walks looking around and listening to the sounds in the woods.

“You are making me feel really low, I am trying to be confident I will succeed.” she sighed, frowning

“I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel that way.” he looked down.

“I get what you are saying, you don't want me to be too confident. I would be careless if I was.” she takes his hand and squeezed it.

“Yes, exactly! Hum, wonder if there is any jobs posted out here we can do...” he looked around

“It's kind of hard to have to do things when people can't see me, maybe you should go in town without me and see if anything is posted there.” her mind was a bit negative right now

“No I wouldn't go without you. We are in this together! Maybe we will meet a friendly druid or ranger?” he was worried though, the chances of running into someone that didn't like driders was high.

“It's OK, you don't have to do everything with me. It's easier to go to a tavern and find something to do then to count on a random person coming along.”

“Well, if you are sure.” I didn't like the idea of leaving her behind. What if someone attacked her? “You promise to keep out of sight while I am there though?”

“Yes I promise.” then, she stop staring at the ground. “Something...is there.”

“Huh? I don't see anything.” I looked at the ground puzzled.



She moved into the bushes and looked around a bit, then pulled a lever that was hidden in there. A creak as a underground hidden lair began to open up. I widened my eyes. “Told you something was there.”

“Yeah but...how did you know that?” he was puzzled, I didn't see any signs that it was there at all.

“I don't know, I just...had a feeling something was there.” She shrugged.

“Huh, that must be your ability then!” he nodded. “Quite a handy one too.”

“But what is it, knowing about hidden things, or having feelings about things to come?” she wondered

“I don't know, could be either one. But they are both handy to have.” I headed down into the lair.

“I guess we will find out which one as time goes on.” she followed him

It was gloomy, and dark in there many cobwebs littered the walls. “Kind of hard to see in here since it is so dark.” He mumbled a bit, wishing he was more ready for traveling underground.

“I can see just fine, I guess you don't have night vision like I do. Hum.” she grabs a stick and then makes a fire light it. “There we go, this should help.”

“Whoa, you have fire powers too?” he looks amazed.

“No, I used this thing I found that makes fire.” she shows him a lighter.

“Oh, well that is handy to have, but...now I see the place it looks kinda creepy in here.” his eyes darted to the weird shadows.

“It's kind of cozy to me.” then, all of a sudden a giant spider dropped down and tried to grab Peter.

“Hey you let him go! He is a friend to spiders!” Gwen, moved to brush it away.

“Yes, a friend for my stomach. Now let me eat you hog.” it whipped a thread at it.

“He always tries to save spiders, and be nice to them. I really care for him please don't!” Gwen begged the spider

“Fine, I won't eat him but you owe me!” the spider skittered away.

“Um, what were you saying?” Peter brushed off the webs.

“I made sure it wouldn't eat you.” She moves and sniffs the air. “I smell water, I could use a drink how about you?”

“E-eat me? It wanted me for food?” Peter gulped. “Uh, might not be a bad idea to get some water.”

“Yes, to it you looked like a butterfly you know?” she followed the scent. “It's not too far from here.”

“Yes I know, that is why my kind is so good at hunting.” his stomach growled. “Hopefully some fish is there too.”

“More than likely there is.” she turned a corner, and saw the water. “Ah, let's get some.” she moves to the lake. Though, it seemed something with big googly eyes was watching them.

“Um, don't look now but there's a creature in there.” Peter said nervously.

“Ah! Hello? Who are you?” Gwen asked as a frog girl climbed out of the water.

“Who do you want me to be?” she asked.

“Um, well I think it is best to be yourself.” Gwen blinked thinking that was an odd question.

“Nobody asked me to be me before, and what I am is hungry. You look tasty.” she looks at Peter

“Ah, hey why is everyone trying to eat me? I am not tasty honest.” Peter frowned.

“I will help you get food if you leave Peter alone.” Gwen suggested.

“Hum I will take your offer, thank you. Can you swim?”

“Err not very good. I will just catch something and then come back here.” Gwen grinned

“You will just leave and not come back!” the girl pouted

“I promise I will return, honest.” Gwen made a motion on her chest.

“Well you better! Or I will make sure everything in here will chase after you.”

Gwen wasn't sure the girl could do that., but figured it was best to do as she said. “Too bad I can't feed her the spider that tried to eat you earlier, I would feel too guilty doing that.”

Peter walks and looks around. “I don't believe we are getting food for someone else when I am hungry.”

“Well being hungry will help you find something easier, what do you think we should do? Fish or look under a rock.” Gwen pokes at a large rock

“I think it would be easier to look under rocks.” Peter helps lift the one she had poked.

There were a bunch of HUGE bugs under it. “Wow jackpot.” she made a net to catch some. “This will be a good meal for her.” she heads back to the lake.

“You mind if I have one too?” he looks at a big bug licking his lips.

“Go ahead we have plenty.” Gwen hands him the bug and then goes to the frog. “These good?”

“Perfect thanks!” she eats the bugs. “Um, you mind helping me more? I hate to ask especially when I tried to eat him.”

“Of course, and you didn't eat him so it is OK.” Gwen was finding she liked helping others.

“I want to get out of this lake, it is blocked from the outside.”

“Hum, I have an idea..make you an outfit out of webs and stick water droplets on it.” Gwen grinned.

“Whoa you are so smart Gwen!” Peter praised her.

“I see why you keep him around, OK let's do this.” so, Gwen made the outfit and they began to head out. “Oh..you might need to know the way out, I will show you the way.”

“Thank you! Nobody has been so nice to me before.” the frog girl follows.

“No problem, I am used to people being mean to me because of how I look, but I always try to treat people better than they treat me.”

“Wow, how wonderful...Oh...” she begins to fade and turn into a ball of light. “You have passed my test, open this book when you know what you really want.” A book dropped down on the ground and the light buzzed away.

Gwen's jaw dropped. “What?! That was a test?” she picked up the book. “Humm...”

“I know what you want, to be a hero right?” Peter guessed

“No, I am not sure I want that anymore. This whole thing reminded me of the struggles I had for being a drider. I want others like me to have a better life.” She opens the book.

“What do you wish?” said a silvery voice.

“I would like this place to become a home for good monsters, for them to be able to live in peace with each other.” Gwen said

A twinkle and then plants started growing, houses popped up in the dungeon rooms and monsters appeared. “Whoa...but what about your dream of saving the prince?” Peter asked.

“You are my prince Peter, I am sure I will save you from something since so many want to eat you.” she giggled

He blushed. “I am your prince, really? This is so great!”

“Yes you are, I think we should be king and queen of this land.” She then make a crown out of sticks and webbing.

“Me a king? I never imagined it.” Peter smiled

So, the good monsters were safe in the home they made, and Peter and Gwen had many children. They often got in mischief, so Gwen was saving princes a lot. Maybe her original dream didn't quite come true how she thought it would, but to her it was better.

The End.












November 20, 2019 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.