4 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Drama

They don't recognize you. They don't recognize you. They don 't recognize you.

That's what I keep telling myself. But, this is a very crowded train.

They don't recognize you.

I am disguised. They won't discover who I really am. They can't. I can't go back to that awful place I was to call home. I was supposed to be crowned last week. I was to be crowned a queen. Queen of a country. Like I could ever be a queen. I wasn't fit for it, and everyone knew. Well, that is, except for my mother. Perhaps she refused to understand.

¨ You will be a queen. And you will do it without complaint or bad behavior. No snarky comments either.¨

Ha. Who does she expect me to be? I am not a proper, normal little princess. Do as I am told. Eat my veggies. Fit into tight, suffocating dresses. Put on false smiles in the saddest of days. I will not live that life anymore. I will not go back.

¨ Hello ¨

says a soft voice. Oh no. Oh no. Oh NO. They found me. They are here to take me back. I can't go back. I can´t. But no. They won't take me back there. Not if I can help it. With a smooth hand I pull out my sharp blade and grab the person by the neck. The questions spill out before I can realize what I am saying-and doing.

¨ Who are you? ¨

¨ Why are you here? ¨

¨ I will kill you.¨

Their face goes pale. Their fear gives me enough time to study them-as well as collect myself. He seems to be around my age, nineteen or so. He is very brawny and tall. Taller than me even. I bet he could easily brush me off him if it wasn't for my weapon. What a little blade can do to these commoners.

¨ I...I...¨

¨ Spit it out! ¨

¨ Could you put that knife away? I was just saying hi.¨

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

¨ Sorry.¨

I say as I´m letting him go, but still not letting my guard down. I make sure he is within reach if he needs to be taken care of.

¨ Yeah...no problem¨

His eyes shift over mine searching for something I cannot comprehend. I shouldn't mind him looking over me, after all I grew up a princess. I had no choice but to let everyone watch my every movement. Still, he unsettles me.

¨ So, where are you headed?¨

He asks, as if I will answer him. I stay silent, careful not to say anything that will give me away.

¨ Not a talker? That's fine.¨

********

I awake to the touch of someone shaking my arm. My eyes open, but my body still doesn't get the memo that it's time to wake up.

¨ Don´t touch me.¨

I say, still feeling unsettled by this man.

¨ Oh, sorry.¨

His politeness only angers me further and suddenly I feel the need to feel the fresh air. 

The air outside feels amazing, and very refreshing.

¨ Feels nice, doesn´t it? ¨

The man is suddenly standing next to me, when that happened, I do not know.

¨ What is your name?¨

I ask, hoping to find out more about him.

¨ Vance, at your service. And you? ¨

¨ I don't give out my personal information to strangers.¨

¨ Ah, yes, well I suppose that is fine since we aren't strangers anymore.¨

¨ Oh? ¨

¨ Well, you know my name, so technically, that makes us not-strangers. Acquaintances if you must.¨

He has a point.

¨ I would hardly call us acquaintances.¨

¨ Then what would you call us?¨

I see what he is trying to do, and I won't let that happen.

¨ We are passerbys.¨

He stares at me, never looking away. I don't either. He is expecting me to look away first. Good luck with that. I never back down from a challenge. Finally, he gives up, looking away. I win. Wow, I am really competitive. ¨

¨ So ¨

I say, if only to try and deflate some of the tension around us. ¨

¨ So ¨

he says, infuriating me. Do I always have to start the conversation? I get up to walk away, but he-Vance-grabs hold me.

¨ Let. Me. Go.¨

He doesn't.

¨ Listen, I can tell you don't belong here.¨

Shit. He knows. I feel my face pale with worry. I stand, frozen in place, not knowing what to do. Calm down. Vance stares up at me, grinning. He enjoys this, watching me, scared like a little girl. Asshole.

¨ Don´t worry, I won't tell. I have no need to.¨

I let out a small sigh of relief, allowing myself to breathe, but not allowing myself to let my guard down. After all, I don't really know this man, I don't know what he could do. What if his name isn't even Vance?

¨ Wha-what do you want then? ¨

¨ I want to come along with you. Wherever you are going. It doesn't matter to me. I just want to be somewhere else, anywhere else.¨

¨ ABSOLUTELY NOT ¨

I blurt out before I can stop myself. Vance just laughs.

¨ Look, either, I come along with you-all the while keeping my mouth shut-or I tell everyone that you don't belong here, princess.¨

Shit.

¨ How do you know-I mean-who told you…? ¨

¨ Well, I had my suspicions but I wasn't certain. You just cleared everything up for me.¨ Stupid. Idiot. My skin bubbles with anger, as I am sure my face is reflecting the same feeling.

¨ Fine.¨

Is all I can say. I want to wipe that big, stupid grin off his face. You brought this upon yourself. There is no one to blame but you. Dumbass.

********

The next morning, I wake up before Vance. I could leave. I could jump off the train and leave without him. I should. But, for some reason, I can´t. My curiosity will be the death of me one day, perhaps soon. By the time Vance wakes up I am already doing my morning workout.

¨ Do you do this every morning? ¨

¨ Yes, and? ¨

He throws his hands up as if he was surrendering. That's right.

¨ You woke up before me.¨

¨ Oh, did I? I hadn't noticed.¨

He doesn't give me the satisfaction of a smile, and instead he seems confused.

¨ Why didn't you leave? ¨

I stare down at the floor, disappointed in myself,

¨ I don't, I don't know.¨

He nods and gets his lazy ass off the couch to come and sit next to me.

¨ Mind if I join you? ¨

¨ Be my guest, though I doubt you will be able to keep up with my exercises.¨ 

¨ You'd be surprised.¨

I raise my eyebrows, not believing him. 

¨ Damn. I´m impressed. You did better than I thought you would.¨

¨ Gee, thanks.¨

He says, laughing.

¨ Hey, you get what you get with me.¨

¨ I have come to learn that.¨

I punch his arm, hard, hoping it'll leave a bruise later.

¨ Ow! ¨

He stares at me in disbelief. I just shrug.

¨ You deserved it.¨

¨ No I didn´t¨

I give him a sharp glare, making my point. Again, he throws his hands up, surrendering. I stick out my tongue at him in response. He returns the favor. I feel myself smile, a real smile. I haven't received one of those in a long time. 

********


¨ So, I think you should tell me where we are going.¨

¨ Right. Well, you see, I haven't exactly made it that far yet.¨

His eyes go wide,

¨ You-you don´t know!?¨ 

¨ Hey, cut me some slack. I am a runaway princess. These weeks have not been easy for me.¨ 

¨ Mhm, and yet I am still trying to comprehend the fact that you don't know where we are going.¨

I punch him again.

¨ Well, you could help too you know.¨

¨ You really are something.¨

¨ And you really are an ass.¨

I say, blowing him a kiss. In return, I get one of his smiles that are so stupid yet still contagious. That smile I would give anything for. Control yourself. A blush forms across my cheeks, putting my embarrassment on display. Vance notices and grins even bigger, only encouraging my embarrassment and deepening my blush even more.

¨ Has the princess found something...interesting?¨

I don't rise to the bait.

¨ Shut up asshole.¨

I turn to walk away, then stop myself midstep. In front of me, I see Avard. The man I was betrothed to. A King. Shit. ¨

What are you doing here my darling?¨

But I can't answer, let alone talk. Then Vance comes to my side, forcing Avard´s attention to shift on him.

¨ Why, who is your little friend?¨

I still can't talk, and I feel like I might pass out.

¨ Vance. My name´s Vance. And you are?¨

His evil, dark laugh stings. He turns to look back at me. I try to look away, but I can´t. I stare him straight in the eyes.

¨ I am Avard, King of Corenel.¨

He is talking to Vance, but his eyes are on me.

¨ I am not going back.¨

I finally manage to say.

¨ Oh, but you are.¨

Vance steps in between me and Avard. Avard doesn´t mind, enjoying a little challenge. ¨ Do we have to make such a big scene? ¨

I don't answer. My silence is answer enough.

¨ Alright then.¨

Avard snaps his fingers and three guards appear behind Vance pulling him back.

¨ STOP! ¨

I shout, but the guards don't listen. Avard takes slow, pacing steps toward me. Teasing me. But little does he know, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I'm not completely useless. I wait until he is right in front of me, hands on my chin.

¨ You are such a drama queen. That will need to be fixed if you are to be my wife.¨

I pull out my tiny blade and slash his throat in the matter of five seconds. Blood on my hands, face, and clothes, I grab Vance from the guards, who are not putting up much of a fight, more focused on saving their king who is long dead. 

¨ We have to jump! ¨

I yell to Vance over the train´s loud engine. He seems scared but nods.

¨ On the count of three.¨

¨ One ¨

¨ Two ¨

¨ Three!¨

We yell in unison as we jump into what feels like darkness. Everything goes black.


********


I awake to find Vance sitting right next to me. Watching me with very worried eyes.

¨ I am fine.¨

I tell him, ignoring the big gash I received across my stomach on the way here. It can be dealt with later. Right now, we need to find somewhere to stay. 

After a while of walking under the heated sun, I spot a building a little farther into the trees. I start to point at it but find Vance already running towards it. I run and catch up to him in no time, enjoying the wind now blowing on my face. We knock on the door, not sure what we hope to find. We are greeted with a small fragile woman who looks startled, but happy.

¨ Why, what brings you two down here?¨

¨ We, uh, we are hoping to find somewhere to stay, perhaps permanently.¨

¨¨ Well, then, you have come to the right place.¨

Vance and I exchange looks of worry, but also comfort and hope. 

After a night of sleeping in a comfortable bed, I get up to go outside but find Vance has already beat me to it.

¨ What a beautiful place isn't it?¨

I look over our balcony to see a beautiful forest glimmering beneath us.

¨ It is.¨

He turns to look at me fully, eyes sweeping over me.

¨ Do you feel better?¨

He asks, always worrying about me.

¨ I´m good. You?¨

¨ Yeah, I´m fine.¨ 

Good. I think so but I don´t say it out loud. We both need time to heal and understand what it is that is happening between us.

¨ Hey, I never got your name.¨

¨ Arya, at your service.¨

I say, a big smile spreading across my face, but this time, it doesn´t feel so stupid.


April 22, 2021 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

I love this! A nice story of a runaway princess and a simple commoner who has agreed to help her.... oooooo, do I see romanceeee? eheheheh :)

Reply

Kylee Haverty
18:42 Apr 29, 2021

You know it! Lol, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylee Haverty
18:51 Apr 22, 2021

Hi! This is my first story so I hope you like it. I tried. I am new at this whole thing so I did my best. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.