3 comments

Desi Sad Fiction

The railway station was buzz with activity. People, porters, vendors and a whole lot of luggage, the cacophony of the announcement of the arrival and departure of trains and the mad rush of people running on the platform was an everyday scene. In the din and noise, the only person who seemed calm was “Amma” that’s what everyone called her, served drinking water to the thirsty passengers from set of three huge earthen pots kept on an iron stand. 

Amma was in her early seventies , not very tall but graceful enough to be noticed. No one knew anything much about her. How she ended up in the station or from where did she come was a puzzle. All in the name of personal possession, she had a cloth bag with two cotton saris , a pair of glasses and a photograph which she never showed to anyone.

She usually left for her place after the last train which normally left at 11pm and next few hours a serene calmness used to descend on the usual busy station. She lived in a little shack adjacent to the railway station. The first train arrived at five o’clock and Amma would be there by four thirty early in the morning, rain or shine or biting cold, never deterred Amma’s routine. The corner of the station where Amma had her stall was famous and everyone called it ‘Amma Water’ corner.

Bose babu, the station master always visited Amma before going to the office or while leaving. Sometimes he would bring snacks or food during special occasions from his home. She would gratefully accept but shared the food with some street urchins. People out of gratitude offered a little money for the water and with that little donations she carried out her life.

It was Sunday morning and mid December. The crafty fog had almost blanketed the entire station. Amma was as usual at her designated place . The station seemed deserted except the station master’s office where faint light was streaming through the office window. The five o’clock train came on dot. First few seconds there was no movement of passengers since most of them were still sleeping as they knew that the train terminated there. however ,the first passenger to get down was a young man, may be in early thirties, carrying a back pack and a suitcase. Most of his face was covered by an woollen cap, with only his eyes visible. He moved towards ‘Amma water corner’ and put his suitcase down which seemed heavy. Amma smiled at him and gestured if he wanted to have a glass of water. The young man seemed thirty in spite of the cold weather, he gulped two glasses. He wanted to pay but amma made a gesture with her head that it didn’t matter.

‘How far is the town? Do we get prepaid taxi? I have to meet my friend and have to go back tonight itself”, almost in a single breath he spoke.

Amma spoke for the first time maybe with a stranger. Usually passengers had no time to strike conversation with an old water vendor. 

“ The town is not very far , may be two or three miles. You can get a taxi once you exit the station. But its still dark and cold. Better wait for the dawn and you can leave . You can make yourself comfortable on the bench over there”, saying she showed the bench a little distance from where she was standing.

The young man looked at her with gratitude. “Why don’t you also sit with me. No one is around. If someone comes you can serve water to them”, he moved to the bench and she too followed him.

First few minutes both of them were silent. Only their eyes moved like car wipers from one end of the station to another observing the the long iron train track, the signal light at the end of the platform, the closed shops, and few passengers sleeping on the benches , may be they had to catch the next early train.

Amma for the first time had the chance to observe the station where she was stranded for almost a decade. She in her wildest dreams never thought that she would lead a life of a recluse. She was considered the smartest woman in her profession. People looked up to her for guidance, help and motivation. She was an ideal for so many women. She was madly in love with Peter, her spouse. Initially everything was so rosy like fairy tale but as time went by Peter exhibited how nasty a man could be. Back at her workplace her boss wanted her to set aside all the principles and work as per the wish of the management. The only silver lining was the people for whom she worked. Their innocence , complete trust and affection gave her the strength to continue her life and work. 

The day of her superannuation, she was touched by the affection of her colleagues and others for whom she dedicated her life. Her nasty boss had smartly excused from attending the ceremony. She also dreaded the idea of going back to home and spending all the time with the her spouse full time.

After the ceremony, she decided to walk down to her house which was not far. When she was about to reach her house, a biker hit her and the head hit the concrete road divider. She never remembered a thing after the incident. All she that knew , she was being moved to the hospital. She could not recollect names or recognise people. The doctors said she suffered from a temporary amnesia and no one could predict when she would get back her memory.  

Just after a month, she regained her memory but pretended to play along. Peter got all the bank and property papers signed on his name and one fine day stopped coming. The hospital decided to shift her to a Home since there was no one to pay her bills. It was then she decided to leave and took a train. She got down at this station to avoid being caught for ticketless travel. It was Mr.Bose , the station master helped her to get an avocation and security. Though she remembered everything of her past but didn’t want to share with anyone. The endless rails pushed her life in an unknown infinity which was far better than the abysmal dark past.

“What brought you here young man?”, she asked the passenger sitting next to her. 

“ Actually I came to meet my friend and locate someone we lost almost a decade ago. We are so much indebted to the person and it’s time we repay our debt. I am a graduate working with a multi national company,” spoke the young man though Amma didn’t ask for personal details.

“Well! It’s already dawn. You can exit from the station and catch a taxi”, said Amma who was bit restless for relaxing after all these years of watching the stranded rails and moving passengers.

The young man got up from his seat. He turned towards Amma and spoke, “I don’t think its worth going out and meeting my friend. Rather I catch the six o’clock return train”, saying he moved closer to Amma , held her two hands and said , “Nice meeting you Mrs. Monica Bregenza. I was looking for all these years to find my best teacher who changed my life from an unruly teenager to a responsible young man. I recognised you the very moment I set my eyes that it the angel who made a great difference in little lives . Let’s go home.”

Amma gave a bewildered look and shook her head, “ I am sorry! There has been some misunderstanding. I am Amma and I have never been to a school all my life. If you please excuse me, I would like to go back to my stall. People are up.” She walked back with the same grace to her three big mud pots.

The young man looked at her for the last time and moved towards to waiting train which would leave in few seconds.

Amma took the group photograph of her favourite class , she in the centre and a little fellow clinging to her. She looked at the train window where he was sitting and murmured “ God bless you little Robin, I never forgot those honey coloured eyes of my favourite student...”

January 08, 2021 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Devinder Kumar
15:45 Jan 27, 2021

Such a touching story. Sometimes Life is too cruel to nice people but those people still can manage to find purpose in life. Amma will remain teacher till the last breath.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ash Cullen
14:00 Jan 26, 2021

Beautifully written

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gm Sreenivas
15:32 Jan 13, 2021

You describe the rural India about 3 decades so well in details which takes the reader into the memory lanes. Felt so good. Plastic bottles have replaced those earthen pots. Wish they return back.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.