My Kid Sister and I

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Suspense Drama Romance

Jessica and I went to the same college - Illinois State University. Both of us came from the Village of Savoy, some 94 kilometres south east of I.S.U. But we only came to know each other as freshers at the university.

Here’s how we met. As freshers, I used to see her in my class but we had never talked. One evening, I was strolling outside campus when I saw her accosted by two fellows. From the altercations, I could tell that it wasn’t a friendly encounter. As I drew near, the bully donning Low Fade haircut held her by the ponytail while the other hand was cuddling her waist coarsely. The other goon with Faux Hawk haircut was trying to kiss her forcibly as he held her hands. She was fighting and screaming.

“Hey you,” I shouted as I rushed toward them. “Stop it!”

Faux Hawk stopped and confronted me. “Who are you?” He asked me

The two were more heavily built and taller than I. I am five-eight but could rely on my rusty martial arts expertise if they attacked. I had taken three years of martial arts classes when I was at high school.

“She is my classmate,” I responded.

“Then why don’t you wait for her in class until we’re done with her?” Faux Hawk paused.

“And why don’t you mind your business before we make you our business?” Low Fade thundered, leaving Jessica and charging at me.

Before I could respond, he swiftly slapped me hard on the left cheek. I staggered sideways. I hadn’t seen it coming but I am not the fighting type either. I took a few steps back. I prefer diplomatic conflict resolution if it can be achieved. That is not to say I am a weakling.

“Hey! I can see you’re spoiling for a fight but I didn’t come to fight,” I said. “Why don’t we just say that nothing happened and let her go?”

“I didn’t know you were The Coward of the County,” Faux Hawk said approaching me menacingly. You just want to free her without a fight? He added as he swung a right hook at my face.

This time I sidestepped the blow. I kicked him hard on the chin sending him sprawling. He cursed. His chum furiously attacked. I gave him a lightning roundhouse kick that saw him on the ground too. Jessica was standing a slight distance away, agape.

“We can fight now,” I challenged them. “I’ve changed my mind.”

Low Fade stood up and swung a blow. I kicked him between his legs. He wailed and crouched. Faux Hawk rushed at me in a murderous rage. I kicked him in the solar plexus and he doubled up. I gave him another kick in the face – I must have broken his a tooth or two because I could feel a crack - that sent him flying. He spit blood. I could see they were not eager to proceed.

“Scram!” I said.

“You will pay for this someday,” Low Fade said as he helped Faux Hawk up. “I’ve never been whomped by a fresher and you are not going to be the first.”

“I just did it and you’re welcome again, buddy,” I said. “I’m game.

They hobbled away.

I took Jessica’s hand and led her to the opposite direction. She was still shaking.

“That was swift,” she said. “Thanks for saving me. I owe you one.”

“It was my pleasure,” I said. “My name is Kevin Anderson. Needless to say, you’re my classmate”

“I’m glad to meet you, Kevin. Mine is Jessica Olson.”

“I’m happy to meet you, too. Who were those?”

“They are our college mates – third year.”

“Are they your friends?”

“Friends? Hell, no. I believe they are bullies, sexual molesters. The one you kicked last is called Billy. He’s been stalking me ever since I turned down his overtures.”

“Now you’re welcome to count on me. You can have me as your big brother on the campus.”

“I don’t know what I would have done without your interception. My past few weeks have been hell. Thanks, again. I accept you.”

“Thanks.”

We went out and had coffee together. We talked about our romantic lives, our aspirations, backgrounds, blah, blah, blah.

She told me that she was in a long distance relationship. That she was committed to the relationship although it was shaky. Her boyfriend was always suspicious and could pay her impromptu visits, just to keep her on check. Not finding her with anyone or tell-tale signs in her room did little to allay his suspicions. She kept the relationship anyway, on the premise that reason would prevail someday.

I told her that my relationship had ended a year earlier over irreconcilable differences. It had been so painful for me. I had decided to keep romantic relationships on the sidelines for the time being because I didn’t want to hurt again.

And so our friendship began. We had a few things in common and in fact shared a lot. We studied the same course at the university, went on study excursions together, partied and dined out together frequently.

We hung out together during our leisure time. And that was quite often. But neither of us hindered the other’s personal engagements. Although we were pretty close, our friendship was all along platonic.

In our third year, one of our lecturers was leaving to pursue other personal ambitions. He was very popular, so the whole department and the student fraternity decided to host a farewell party for him. Jessica had informed me that she had invited her boyfriend, Jimmy, to the party and she would be delighted to introduce us.

 “Are you sure he will take it well?” I had asked her.

“You have always defended me against sexual harassment,” she had said. “I don’t see why he would be so naïve to think of you as something else.”

“You told me he’s always jealous,” I had said, “I hope he has grown up.”

“He has no choice. After all he’s not here to protect me against the numerous marauding harassers. The least I would expect of him is to thank you,” she had said, chuckling.

“Well, I look forward to meeting my kid sister’s lover,” I had said, nonchalantly.

The farewell party was held at Plato’s Pavilion on the campus. By 7.00 p.m., we had secured a table and three seats.

Jessica and I were enjoying our drinks as we listened to music churning out from the recently purchased state-of-the-art music system. We chatted as we awaited the arrival of Jessica’s guest and the official opening of the ceremony. The D.J. was playing "With You" by Mariah Carey. The attendees were exuberant and a good number were on the floor dancing.

People were still having fun waiting for the emcee to introduce the event. Then at 8 o’clock, our visitor arrived. A young man standing at six-two, donning a leather jacket and denim jeans, approached Jessica from behind. He cuddled her and when she turned her head kissed her passionately. The number playing then was “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga.

“Good to see you, Jimmy,” she said after they were done. “This is my classmate and guardian, Kevin,” she added, pointing at me. “Kevin, this is my boyfriend, Jimmy.”

“I’m pleased to meet you, Jimmy,” I said, extending my hand, which was ignored.

“So you’re my famous competitor,” Jimmy said, sneering at me. Then turned to Jessica, “Babe, what are the little things you’ve been doing together? I even see you’re so close.”

“What are you driving at?” Jessica asked. “Are you trying to create a scene?

“You have already created a scene by sticking too close to this hunk,” Jimmy retorted, then turned to me, "What do you say, lover boy?"

“Stop it…” Jessica attempted to say.

“Stop what?” Jimmy interjected as he picked up Jessica’s wine glass and splashed the contents on my face.

“It’s over, Jimmy; it’s over with you,” Jessica said to Jimmy, red with rage.

“I should leave you two to sort your issues,” I offered, wiping my face.

“You’re not leaving,” it was more of a command than a statement from Jessica. “You’re my date tonight. Stay. As for you, superhero,” she was addressing Jimmy, “leave now or I call security. You’re persona non grata and I don’t want to have anything with a skunk like you ever again.” She was still seething with anger.

“We shall see about that,” Jimmy said and walked away.

“I’m so sorry about that, big brother,” Jessica said to me. “I told you I have a bum for a boyfriend. Thank goodness it’s over with him.”

“It’s unfortunate,” I said.

And so, Jessica’s date aborted and we were left to do our little things together. After the party, we had our own extension and went out on a drinking spree. It wasn’t until the wee hours of Saturday that we retired to my flat – our first time in my flat together since we knew each other.

It wasn’t until Sunday evening that she left, and then only because we had classes on Monday. She had to use one of my tracksuits because she hadn’t carried a change of clothes.

“Are you still my big brother? She had asked before we parted.

“You bet,” I had said.

“Talk of siblings becoming romantic,” she said, jestingly.

“It was my little sister’s idea.”

“Adam said, ‘It was Eve.’”

*

Our graduation was colourful. We hugged and said goodbyes. I took a job as a research assistant in Missouri while she was offered a teaching job in the Village of Savoy.

We communicated regularly through e-mail and phone. Our communications were manly chitchats. I didn’t have a girlfriend yet because I had sort of become wary of a break-up. Jessica told me that she never heard again of Jimmy and she didn’t care. Although our relation had been platonic, maybe with a tinge of romance, I was seriously thinking of cementing it to a romantic one. She hadn’t mentioned any new catch, so I was almost sure that she was still single.

When my contract ended a year later, I returned to Illinois and was happy to reunite with my *little sister*. I was also in time to honour my real little sister Emma’s invite to their corporate-end-of-year party. Emma worked for Latham, Bird & Morgan LLP, a local legal firm.

Emma had said I could come along with a friend. Who was better suited than my other little sister?

I called Jessica when I arrived in the Village of Savoy and we arranged to meet the following evening, a Tuesday. They were on long holidays.

We met on the Tuesday evening over a drink. We discussed many inconsequential issues. Then I asked if she would be available to accompany me to my real sister’s party on the coming weekend. To my surprise, she flatly declined.

“You see Kevin,” she had said, “we have been communicating but there are a few things I haven’t told you.”

“I’m all ears.”

“Ever since we parted ways, I have attended only one party. That party ended disastrously and I swore to never attend any other party.”

“What happened? Did you overdrink?”

“More than that; I still feel uncomfortable discussing it. I will tell you some day when the time’s right.”

“But this is not just another party,” I had reasoned. “This is my real kid sister’s party and I have no one else to accompany me.”

“Okay, let’s make a deal.”

“Let’s hear it.”

“I will attend the party on condition that you also attend my event.”

“What event?”

“We shall discuss it later too.”

“Deal,” I said, still in the dark.

*

The party was held at the Bird & Morgan LLP’s boardroom. It was jam-packed. There were all kinds of foods and drinks and the music was good. We had eaten to our fill and were enjoying drinks and music.

At about 7.30 p.m., I asked Jessica to dance. The number playing was "Just The Two Of Us" by Will Smith.

We had just danced halfway through "Somebody Else's Lover" by Juliette Claire when a thirty-something man, wearing a maroon sleeveless jacket, a white shirt and a black bowtie approached us. He raised his nonexistent hat and said, “Hellos,” looking intently at Jessica. Then he left as fast as he had appeared.

“Who was that?” I asked Jessica.

Jessica was trembling like an aspen leaf.

“Let’s leave. Please take me home.”

“Anything I need to know?”

“Please take me home. I’ll tell you in bed.”

We went straight to my flat. We took a shower and retired to bed.

“Are you feeling better now,” I asked.

“I’m good.”

“Can we then talk about the bowtie fellow?”

“Absolutely; his name is Alex if I am not wrong. As I intimated, the one we’ve just been to was the first party I have attended in a long time. When we parted, I was invited to a similar party. Then this sweet-talking guy approaches me and we sit together. He tells me how beautiful I am, how he would like to marry a girl like me, blah, blah, blah.”

She proceeded to tell me how Alex covertly spiked his drink and she passed out. He went ahead and took her to his home. Fortunately, he was either intoxicated or high on drugs or both. So, instead of taking her to his bedroom, he took her to his parent’s bedroom!

“According to his mother,” Jessica said, “Alex arrived home at midnight carrying me on his shoulder like a log. He was clearly too drunk. She and her husband were already in bed but her husband had gone to the toilet leaving the lights on. She was wide awake when Alex entered carrying what looked like a dead body. She screamed. Alex must have realized his mistake because he dropped his cargo and fled.”

Alex’s father had returned to find the unfolding drama. He called police and Jessica was taken to hospital. Alex was arrested the following day and locked up. Tests on whether Jessica was drugged were inconclusive. So no charges were preferred against Alex and he was freed on the third day.

“After that incident, I developed cold feet about parties. Now you know.”

“Wow! That was an experience. Now, can we talk about your event?”

“Let’s talk about it in the morning - please. My head will be clear then”

“Your wish is my command.”

We slept until midday. It was a weekday but neither of us had any commitments.

“Good morning, sweetheart!” I greeted Jessica when we woke up.

“It was a lovely night,” she said.

“Indeed it was fabulous. If your head is clear, you might want to tell me about your event.”

“Oh, yes. I would have told you ages ago but I didn’t know how. But I still have to tell you, one way or another anyway. You remember Billy, the guy whose dental formula you rearrange at the university?”

“You mean one of the goons who were molesting you?”

“Yes, that one; we buried the hatchet and he proposed. The wedding will be January third,” she said.

"What! Are you pulling my leg?”

“No. I’m serious. Will you grace the event?”


May 15, 2021 00:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.