8 comments

Creative Nonfiction High School Teens & Young Adult

“You wanna do something fun?” I whispered to Norm, who was sitting to my left. He just smiled. He was cool.


It was the last Grade 12 Chemistry Lab of the year. The Chemistry Lab had been completely refurbished at the start of the year. New tile on the floor, new paint from wall to ceiling, even our lab workstations had been redone. Somehow it had survived the year unscathed - that was about to change.


The Chemistry Lab had three rows of workstations, two workstations per row separated by a four foot wide aisle. There were positions for four students at each workstation. There was a single gas outlet for the Bunsen burner at each student's position and a single sink in the middle for all the students to share. The students could work individually or in groups of two or four.


Each student’s position had a cabinet with one Bunsen burner, a tripod stand used to hold items over the burner flame , a wire gauze with the centre coated with asbestos, used to protect items from direct contact with the flame, and a striker for lighting the burner. There was also an assortment of test tubes, Florence and Erlenmeyer flasks, beakers, glass rods and a box of splits. (Splits are thin strips of wood about 18 inches long used to ignite experiments.)


We were in the second row on the left.


The teacher was on a raise dias at the front. Windows to his right, the vented fume cabinet for doing ‘gas experiments’ or ones that might explode was to the left - by the door. (Which always struck me as a strange place to do a potentially dangerous experiment.)


There was a tradition at the school, on the last Chem Lab of the year, the senior class (that's us) could work on their own experiment. Traditionally, at least one person would make a stink bomb.


Not this year. There had been a new school principal last year - he was not impressed with the smell. Anyone making a stink bomb would be expelled.


No stink bomb - no problem. I had something else in mind.


Our teacher, Mr. S., was giving the end of year speech. ‘Great class . . . had fun teaching you . . . blaha . . . blaha . . . blaha’. I wasn’t paying particular attention. I was more interested in what was coming next.


If I were to make it work I would need help.


I passed a note to Norm, it just said ‘Rocket fuel’. He knew what I meant and smiled.


Now, dear reader, I must digress:


If I were writing this back in the mid 1960’s, when all this happened, you could go into any well maintained school library and find instructions on building a ‘homemade rocket’. For science geeks of the day, homemade rockets were what computers and robots are to today's youth. The rocket fuel of choice is made with two common elements. It was supposed to be much safer than making gunpowder, which some idiots used in their rockets, losing various body parts in the process. (It wasn’t)


This fuel is dangerous and has since been banned by all the amateur rocketry associations. So, I will refer to chemicals used as RF1 and RF2. By themselves these two chemicals are benign and safe to handle. However, mixed together in equal parts - rocket fuel.


Back to the story:


John and Simon were on my right. I passed them a note saying “Ask for equal parts RF1 and RF2” They were hesitant, they looked at Norm. He nodded - that was good enough for them - they were in.


Mr. S. had finished his speech. There was a rush of students asking questions; some were just trying to get extra points for ‘class participation’, the new ‘in thing’ for student evaluation; some were lost on what to do for their experiments.


Finally students were lining up to get the chemicals they would need for their experiment. We had decided not to go up together. After about fifteen minutes we each had our 10ml each of RF1 and RF2. On their own, not enough to make more than a small flash - what would be the fun in that?


I took the tripod and wire gauze from my cabinet and set it up in the centre of the workstation. Norm had set up his Bunsen burner and taken out a splint. Pouring all our chemicals on a sheet from my notebook I carefully mixed them together. (It is important to fully mix the chemicals together or it wouldn’t burn evenly.) Finally, I poured, what was now rocket fuel, on the asbestos covered centre of the wire gauze. 


If I were launching a rocket using this fuel I would be fifteen feet away using an electrical ignition system. But, there was only 80ml - what could possibly go wrong?


Norm had lit his Bunsen burner, well away from where I had been working. I used it to light a splint. Norm, John and Simon stood at the end of the workstation, their eyes fixed on the small pile of rocket fuel. Most of the rest of the class had their backs to us, watching a ‘volcano’ fill the fume booth with smoke and foam.


Having no idea what would happen, I stood as far back as I could - stretching out touched the rocket fuel with the lit splint.


There was a loud WHOOSH as a greenish yellow flame leapt up, burning a small spot on the ceiling. The flame was gone in an instant. A blue grey smoke ring that had formed around the flame was lazily drifting up toward the ceiling. On reaching the ceiling, the smoke ring singed a circle on the ceiling. The burnt spot was now in the centre of a ‘bullseye’.


That was more than I expected. I stood there transfixed.


Norm, John and Simon were equally stunned. Hearing the WHOOSH, Mr. S., who had been watching the fume box, turned around in time to see the smoke ring drifting upward. He just shook his head and went back to the action in the fume box.


I looked around to see if anyone else had seen what had happened. Three other students in the row behind us, who were working in their own experiment, stood there wide-eyed.


Yep - they had seen everything


Norm, Jon, Simon and I scuttled back to our positions, put away the equipment, packed away our books and, with hearts racing, waited for the bell to end the class. At the bell, my partners in crime bolted for the door. I held back.


I had done some stupid things in high school. Most of the time I had come clean. I wasn’t sure how much Mr. S. knew, but I needed to find out. There were a number of students lined up to say good-bye - some sincere, some still trying to get extra credits.


Waiting until they had all left, I went to see him. As soon as I approached him, he started to smile. I knew he knew what had happened. Before I could say anything he stuck out his hand:


“It has been an adventure having you in my class Michael. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next.”


That was it. . . . I shook his hand and headed for the door.


Mr. S. was cool.

October 06, 2021 00:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Felice Noelle
02:12 Mar 12, 2022

Michael: Are you sure your name isn't Steve, the guy who was my chemistry partner back those many years ago! I was laughing, well chuckling, all the way through this. You and Steve were probably a lot of fun, too. Steve became a teacher of all things and you are well on your way as a great writer. I loved everything about this story. Every word seemed to hit the right note with me. I will read all of your stories soon. Remember the old program, "You Are There/" Well, with this story, we all were. Thanks for a fun read. Maureen

Reply

Michael Regan
17:06 Mar 12, 2022

I do remember "You Are There" - that's going back a bit 😄 I was a bit of a science nerd in high school. One of those guys that went around carrying his slide rule so everyone could see it.

Reply

Felice Noelle
17:59 Mar 12, 2022

Michael: IMO the writers that churned out weekly episodes of The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Sky King were pretty great short story writers. As someone who sat at my grandfather's knee and listened to these on his old Philco, I feel my pre-adolescent mind was probably steeped in good mysteries and storytelling. Now if I could just remember all that plot and suspense-building.....Maureen

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
21:11 Oct 13, 2021

Hi Michael! This story was witty, amusing, and thoughtful. I especially loved the note to the reader in the middle. I was also impressed with the fantastic imagery you created. The setting was wonderfully described and I truly imagined myself back in my own chemistry class room. This was an incredibly clever read. Thank you for writing it and I look forward to your feedback on my story. :)

Reply

Michael Regan
20:39 Oct 14, 2021

Thank you for the comment. I am glad you like the note in the middle. I worried about how to handle that. There is enough information in the Internet on making bombs and other dangerous concoctions - I didn't want it part of my story.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
21:41 Oct 14, 2021

I think you handled the entire situation very eloquently.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
21:08 Oct 10, 2021

As soon as I read: "It was the last Grade 12 Chemistry Lab of the year" I was already laughing imagining what in the world was going to happen next. "You wanna do something fun?" almost always precedes something disastrous, but especially in the context of playing with chemicals. Interesting story.

Reply

Michael Regan
23:10 Oct 10, 2021

Thanks for the comment. The Chemistry Lab was a lot more fun than the theory. ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.