It was no longer a dream

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

I was 7 when it happened. Insane i know. I didn’t know what happened at the time but as it started to become more frequent my curiosity would increase. When i had told my step father he laughed and told me i had read too many superhero comics. I began to believe him the more he told me. I felt as if i was just in an everlasting sleep (you know the one in sleeping beauty) and not wanting to wake up or i was delusional from all the comic books i had read. Was it just a dream? Was i just seeing things? I had questioned it everyday and come to the conclusion to not tell my stepfather until i could prove it was real. I mean part of me knew it was real and part of me felt like (just like my step father said) it was a delusion. 

I leaned more towards delusion until i had almost choked my school bully to the verge of death - his eyes were bulging, his face turned purple, lips blue, voice became raspy. I was mortified. I had immediately dropped him when i had seen a teacher approaching us: her lips were pursed, eyes narrowed, arms crossed. My chest had tightened and my heart fastened as if he did a 180 on me. I looked at the boy i almost killed, he was holding his neck gasping for air. This guy is a freak, he shouldn’t be here he deserves to be expelled. My mother isn’t going to be happy about this. I was dumbfounded, he didn’t say that he couldn't move his mouth to say it. Did i just read his thoughts? No i couldn’t have that’s not a real thing is it? None of the superheroes in my comics have mind reading abilities, so it mustn’t be real. I had looked at his friends who were trying to get him on his feet. This guy is freakishly strong his dad must be Dwayne Johnson or something the one guy thought.

“Do not say anything about my father” i had quietly yelled at him.

“I didn’t say anything about your father, freak” he hissed back.

Again. I heard his thoughts. maybe it is real? Oh no. Another wave of panic had splashed over me as i saw the teacher approach us.

“What is going on over here?!” she questioned with a tone of anger as her eyes darted to the boy who was still purple in the face.

“H-he tried t-to k-kill me” he gasped at her while pointing at me.

Her face went pale so quick she looked as if she had seen a ghost.

“Office now!” she spat at me.

2 long hours later and my stepfather picked me up from school. He didn't look at me the whole ride home nor say a single word. My step son is a potential murderer.

“I AM NOT A MURDERER” i yelled. My hands balled into fists, knuckles whitened, teeth clenched. My blood boiled at the very thought my step father developed.

“Where the hell did you get that from” he said with such concern.

“You said it just now, the first thing you said this whole time, you said i’m a potential murderer”

“I did not say such thing”

“You didn’t?” i said confused.

Okay so there is a possibility that i may have heard the thoughts of 3 people. I think i can come to the possibility that i have the mind reading ability and maybe super-strength considering i almost killed my bully. That will probably stop him from bullying people now i thought to myself with a sly smile knowing i shouldn’t be proud of it but i couldn’t help it.

All of a sudden my head had felt like it had exploded and i wasn’t in the car any more. A place was being robbed and people were being held hostage. This place felt familiar to me. Before i could gather anymore i was back in the car.

“Turn around we need to go to the local swimming centre” i had ordered my step father.

It was always naturally hot where i lived so it was no doubt the swimming centre made tons of money.

“What why?” he questioned me

“Turn the car around and drive to the swimming centre NOW!” i almost screamed

He listened and abruptly spun the car around.

“What is going on?”

“There’s a robbery and hostage in the swimming centre, the men are threatening to kill and drown the people there if they don't get the money, the workers are refusing to do so making it difficult” i explained to him

“How do you know this?”

“I saw it, i don’t know how but i sensed danger and i was taken there”

“And you think you can stop it? What makes you think you could be right?”

“You don't believe me do you?”

“I find it hard to believe but i’m not disagreeing with you I’ll take you there but don't be surprised if nothing is happening” 

“Fine but i’m telling you i sensed danger and why would i see it if it wouldn’t be real?”

“I don't want you getting hurt or disappointed if what you saw wasn’t real”

I couldn’t answer that i didn’t want to spark an argument so i just sat on the edge of my seat staring out the window. Eventually we arrived and we both saw that i was right. Everyone was afraid inside and out the building. No police was called i assumed. I went to step out the car until i felt a familiar hand on my shoulder.

“Are you sure you want to do this what if you get hurt” my step father said 

I looked him in the eyes, they were full of pain and worry. I put my hand on his in reassurance 

“I’m 100% sure and besides i have superpowers don’t i?” i gave a slight chuckle at the end of my sentence hoping that would reduce his worry about the whole situation.

“Go and save them buddy” he sighed with a bit more confidence.

I barged into the building knocking one of the men off his feet. I had all eyes on me even the robbers. Before any of the other men could approach me i ripped the door off it’s hinges and threw it like a frisbee at two of the men that were holding the girl at the counter at gunpoint. She breathed a sigh of relief and i indicated at her to call the police while she had the chance to. 3 down 3 more to go. I picked up the door i used to free the girl and used it as extra protection against the gunmen. If i sneak behind him i can take him from behind. How meaningless. I chuckled at his very thought. I spun the door round almost as if it was a lasso careful of not hurting any of the victims. As i felt his presence behind me i spun round abruptly and uppercut him with the door. Of course the other two were approaching me faster than an eagle with its eyes on it’s dinner. I ran super-speed at them and killed two birds with one stone. I never really guessed how strong i actually was until now.

After i had taken out all then men the police had arrived while i was trying to calm down some scared victims convincing them they are okay.

It was that night it was confirmed i had superpowers. And since then i had become my cities personal superhero, always helping others. I am now 16 and the most admired teenager by many and the most feared by criminals. I wouldn’t have accomplished anything that had brought me to this day if i had not stopped that hostage 9 years ago. This wasn’t the road i had hoped to drive on but i preferred this one when i realised helping people and keeping people safe was my top priority. Scientists confirmed that i had; super-strength, mind-reading, danger-sense, super-speed, hyper-motility, enhanced stamina and many others. I was able to live out my childhood dream of becoming a superhero and i couldn’t be happier. My step father struggled to believe it at the beginning but gradually understood who i was and what i had to do and stood beside me throughout it all. He may not have been my biological father but he definitely deserved that place. He learned to understand my great joy in superheroes and helped me where possible. I was proud to call my city my prize possession and took great care of it.

June 29, 2020 13:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.