Shadows (Shifters Part 2)

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: End your story with the line, “I’m never going out with you again.”... view prompt

10 comments

Fiction Romance

"What!" That was me protesting the sentencing. The old guy ignored me and continued. “Three pack members were kidnapped in the middle of the night. The same day that Miss Holly Swift rejoined our people. My conclusion is that she bewitched them and took them away for her own nefarious purposes.” Conner protested. “That’s stupid. She was in her cabin the whole night. I slept in a tree nearby. I would have heard if she made any noises.” I was too shocked to even feel a little weirded out. I just stared blankly at nothing. What the heck! I barely just relearned how to shift, much less develop enough magic to kidnap three fully grown shifters. Everyone started to argue, but another elder stood up. An old woman with more wrinkles than an elephant. That must be her animal. She cleared her throat and creaked “There was a legend. A shifter would return home, and with them the Dark One would awaken. That shifter must choose a companion and quest to find a talisman that can banish the fiend back to the Shadow Realm to rot. I say she is that shifter.” I immediately looked at Conner, and he looked at me. We nodded and I said “I will go and find this talisman. I will quest with Conner.” The other elder sneered and purred “Very well. You have until the full moon sets. Three days. If you fail, you are fully banished from all the packs. Now leave!” And with that he stormed off, shifting into an osprey and winging away.

 Everyone dispersed and it was just me and Conner. I tried to light the mood. “So, want something? I personally think pancakes would be divine.” We giggled and ate breakfast. Then I left to get ready for my quest. Fresh clothing put on. Teeth brushed. Packing things. My enchanted water bottle, a knife, good luck charms. All the essential questing items. A knock at the door. It was the old lady who helped me out at breakfast! She handed me a satchel. “Full of important things. Healing supplies, a few enchanted items. That sort of thing. I’m Elder Brooks, by the way.” I smiled shyly and asked her “Have any advice?” She smiled and said “That’s what I was born to do!” Then she turned very serious. “Elder Grey might not be himself. I suspect that he may be under a dark influence. Take care dear.” And she was gone. In her place was Conner, fresh and ready to adventure. I told him about the map, which he pulled out while I was making hot chocolate.

 With the water on the stove, he said “Map, show me the fastest and the safest routes.” Two lines snaked across the map. This was no regular map. This map labeled all of the threats, and gosh was there a lot of them! The safest route snaked around most of the treats, while the fastest cut right through the middle to the golden dot I assume is the talisman. We were two blue blue dots perched on the southeastern corner, and the other mark was the opposite side. “Well now we know how bad this will suck.” I joked. The kettle whistled and when I was busy with the cups, he said “Map, show how long these trails would take to travel. Surprise! The faster one took one day while the other took three. That doesn’t include the return trip. I looked at Conner, all hunched over the map looking super cute. “So...the fast way?” He smiled. “That would be faster, and we have a day to work with in case of a setback. Which, by looking at the map, might be a lot of times.” I giggled, and we finished our cocoa in silence. After we downed all of our mug we set off. 

In the first hour we had been attacked by three basilisks, a giant, and a deranged magical squirrel. And let’s not forget the pack of bears that almost ate me. As I pondered all of our near death experiences, I almost fell into a chasm. I could have died if not for Conner grabbing my hand and hauling me to safety. I lay there panting while he went to look for ways across. When he came back, all he found was a rickety old rope bridge. I crossed first, tiptoeing across each board until I reached the other side. Conner only made it halfway before something stopped him. It was himself! On closer look, it was pretty different. His hair was perfectly styled, he looked more muscular, and was a few inches taller. Another thing popped up, standing arm in arm with fake Conner. It was me! That me also looked much better than the real one. They were facing Conner with their backs to the exit. Fake Conner spoke in an extremely rich, dark voice, “Hello you coward. Yes, I'm you, but I am much better. I can be bold, I can stand up, I have the girl. You will never live up to this.” HE wrapped his arms around my double and put his lips on hers. Conner must have forgotten I was over here, and assumed my double was me, kissing the perfect twin very passionately. I might have thrown up in my mouth, it was so gross.


When they finally let go, my twin stared Conner dead in the eyes. “You will never get the girl. We can see your soul, and you can be like us. Jump, you fool. Find where you truly fit.” I finally had the HA! Moment and shouted “Don’t listen to them!” Pretty obvious but my friend looked about ready to jump. “They're ghosts, cursed to haunt this bridge and collect the souls that dare cross it. Don’t listen to a word they say. You are just as good, if not better than him. Pull through, or so help me I will find your spirit and personally drag it back to your body.” That small, desperate joke pulled him back. He looked the pair of ghouls right in the eyes and said “I couldn’t care less about haunting this bridge with you miserable blobs of hate. I don’t care.” With an eerie wail, they poofed away, leaving a faint scent of rot. Conner rushed across and wrapped me in the biggest hug ever. Right after he let go, I made up my mind. I kissed him. Just a little peck on the lips, but enough to make him smile. We sat there for a second before I found my voice. “Those jerks were wrong. You are the bravest person I have ever met.” A few minutes later, we started back out. After all, no shadow can hold a shifter for long. Right?

July 26, 2021 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

TJ Squared
17:53 Jul 27, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and we don't want people getting locked out. So yeah. Please please PLEASE tell others about this!!! (from Dhwani Jain)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
14:27 Jul 26, 2021

Again, as I said in the first part, dividing it into smaller paragraphs will be more easy to read and less intimidating for the reader. Right now, I am like, "This is too long. I can't read it. I don't want to read it." But, as it is a really great story, I am going to read it anyway. Another problem that that poses is that if I switch the screen to search for a word or something, I come back to such a big paragraph, that it is difficult for me to search for that word. Although I appreciate you trying and making 2-3 paragraphs here, I wo...

Reply

Moon Fox
22:16 Jul 26, 2021

No problem! I never noticed the bits, but I was rushing to put it up.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:07 Jul 27, 2021

Cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
03:09 Jul 27, 2021

I am glad that I could help you with it.

Reply

Moon Fox
18:08 Jul 29, 2021

And yes I will be making more. I'm working on another story right now, but the next one will probably be part three. ;)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:32 Jul 30, 2021

OKay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
05:09 Aug 01, 2021

I HAVE BEEN DOWNVOTED!!!!!!! I HAD ABOUT 1100+ POINTS, AND NOW I AM LEFT AT 660+.... PLEASE HELP ME, MY REEDSY FRIENDS STOP DOWNVOTING NOW!!!!!

Reply

Moon Fox
20:11 Aug 04, 2021

How can I help?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.