0 comments

Happy Romance

There is this homeless man that is always in the building. He does not live here, but sometimes it feels like it because of how much he is here. We all know he is homeless. A few of us let him stay at ours occasionally. But there is only so much we can do as a community. As much as we may try to help him out, he refuses it sometimes. We know he has a job, but I guess it did not pay enough for a house. One day, I got a promotion. I needed a secretary now, and the first person that came to my mind was Jack Tellen. I brought him into my house, as he was in the lobby, exactly where I had thought he would be. I had had him in my house before, so it was normal I suppose. He followed me into my apartment, expecting food, and then a bath. Both I provided.

When he thought I would send him on his way, I told him to stay. He was obviously surprised. I sat him down at my dining room title, and I sat on the other side of the table. He looked right at me and then he started twiddling his thumbs. He looks down at his thumbs while he twiddles them. "Do you have a job?" I wonder loudly. He nods, as in yes. "Do you like your job?" I ask. He shakes his head. "If I were to offer you a job, would you take it?" I say, almost mysteriously. He nods his head, not removing his gaze from his thumbs. "I have a job open, as a secretary. When thinking about someone to do the job, instantly I thought of you. Please take it," I beg. He looks at me shocked. "It is well paying," I say to push him a bit in my direction.

He nods his head. He starts shaking my hand, and I shake his back. The homeless man that lurks around in my apartment building every day, my new secretary. I would have never guessed. But this was going to help him out a lot. I knew that I was making a difference in his life. He kept thanking me and eventually left. I went to sleep happily. The next day, he showed up in his tattered clothes and looked ready for the job. "Come on, I need to get some coffee." I take him into the small common room we workers use on break. I tell him about it. But he seemed very eager for the job. I decided not to keep him from his work. I took him to the little desk outside my office. I told him it was a simple job, that all he had to do was organize my letters, and write emails back. I showed him the computer.

The day before I had set it up for my new secretary. It was nice and clean at the desk. He nodded at everything. I told him that once every two weeks he would get his paycheck. He nodded at that as well. I told him he would be able to have a small apartment by the end of the year and would be stable. By midday, I came to check in on him. Make sure he was doing well with his new job. He was. He had filed all my mail, in and out, and had written an email, as there was only one for now. I had only got this job a month ago, so I was still getting used to everything. We went out to lunch together. He was quite the gentleman towards me. After a week or so of working for me, I gave him new clothes. He put them on and looked rather dashing in his clothes. When I saw him sit at his desk, I noticed a large smile on his face that had not been there when he had walked in.

I never told him they were from me, but I admired his pride in the new clothes. I had never seen someone so proud of their clothes. After his first two paychecks, I decided that I had some room in my apartment. I was going to invite him to be my roommate. That made enough sense. We had grown very close to each other. From work, home, and lunch every day. Picnics in the break room and otherwise. He agreed, and soon enough we were dating. We were in a steady position for a very long time. It was two years into our relationship that he proposed to me. We have decided that we will wait on marriage, but we will still get married when we think it is necessary. I could not believe that after all this time, my soulmate would be him. From where he started, to where he is going I have been there for him. No matter what. From work to places to live or even from the cost of it.

We are both equally supportive of each other. I soon might move jobs, but whatever happens, we will be together. The most important part of being together was that we promised we would always be honest with each other. About everything. Sometimes, he makes me sad with his honesty. But I know where his limits are, and he knows mine. True love is so hard to find. But when you do find it, hold on. Mine did not come the way I thought it would. But that did not matter to me or him. Because love is such an important thing to have. With no love, there is no point in living. I was lonely, and even though he was surrounded by people, he was too. My story can now end "happily ever after," and so can his. As unconventional as it may be, or a stretch that it is, we are living a fairy tale. The homeless man that I used to feel sorry for is now my one true love.

June 02, 2022 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.