1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Fiction Friendship

 Red feather

By L.P Yabut

 The room was filled with anxiety and grief; me, my Mom and my Grandpa were all in the living room watching the news. I wish what we were watching was just some dull and uneventful commercial, but as fate would have it, we’re watching bulldozers readily lined up at the entrance of the woods that was a thick wall of pine trees with powdered snow on the leaves like frosting. The pine trees just stood there tall, firm and unafraid. Before the bulldozers made tracks on the snow and tore down the first tree, I imagined what the woods were before. The woods were a dream to all that entered, the pine trees stood there for generations where birds made their homes. We watched how the bulldozers charged at the woods like mad bulls and tore everything limb from limb, we watched in despair and that was the end of it.

The next morning, I went to my Grandpa’s study to read a book from the tall bookshelves that stood around the walls; reading on my Grandpa’s big comfy chair at his ancient looking mahogany desk always helps to take my mind off things. That’s funny, I’ve been reading here for over an hour now and my friend, Red Feather, a robin should be here by now, circling around the blueberry bush that grew out the window. This has been our routine for several months now everyday and the cycle has not broken until now. I wonder what could’ve happened to him. I went back to reading thinking he had some other plans. As I read for a while, my mind began to drift away from the story that I was reading to the full realization of what I think really happened to Red Feather. I felt a large weight crush my chest like a rockslide and so, I sat down and tried my best to imagine that Red Feather was amidst those trees that were utterly destroyed in the woods yesterday. I began to feel so angry that I threw the book across the room and slammed my fist on the surface of the mahogany desk, I let my friend die. I buried my face in my arms on the table and brooded and wept. After half an hour, my perception became clear like sunshine when I had an insane Idea. I’m going over the woods where all the bulldozers and wrecking balls are and look for my friend leaving no stone unturned. I went to the lawn where my back was readily waiting for me. I rode north where the wind blew hard and the air was colder, winter is coming. The cluster of houses flashed away from me like flames until I reached the mossy stone bridge that spanned a river, it was my one and only entrance to the woods, I would get even more furious if the mayor and the Hemlocks planned to demolish this bridge too, to me this bridge was a historical landmark. What made this bridge so great was how you could feel the rippling bumps made by the bricks and how the green slimy moss complemented the beige stone. When I eluded the last posts of the bridge, I soon met the thick wall of oak trees that was gradually being covered by snow, it was beautiful. In the middle was a path that protruded from the wall of trees that led inside the cold, dim woods. the woods weren’t dark, it’s just only a little bit of sun can be seen glaring, the woods might have been dim, but it was hollow and vast enough to hear the song of nightingales echoing in all corners, but of course that was the past. What I saw now was reminiscent to a castle that was under siege and left to ruin, the wall of pine trees was just stumps now surrounded by dying leaves, I nod my head in disapproval. I trod even further to see more decapitated trees, and once I’ve stepped on a few twigs, the birds that were hiding in the stumps the shrubs, and the undergrowth all emerged and fled to the sky, they left the woods once and for all.

When I saw all the birds leave, my hopes of finding Red Feather were extinguished and I just sat on a stump aimlessly looking around the battered orange leaves and the debris of branches and tree bark, at least a storm would be lenient compared to this monstrosity, I said to myself. Then out of nowhere I saw a robin lying down below a tree stump, it was wiggling and hopping around to try to fly away, but its left wing was broken, I was concerned about any bird so, I rushed in to check on him. when I looked closer, I saw a distinctive splotch of white feathers on his chest of red feathers that formed a crescent, it was Red Feather. I dove in and got him in my palms and carried him on the basket of my bike and we both drove home. When we got home, I quickly got a shoe box and placed him there, I left some food and water for him, I left them in a cold area in my house which was my Grandfather’s study. Between every fifteen minutes that I waited, I tried writing an essay for the restoration of the woods. I wrote that I was a firm and staunch supporter of the wilderness and wildlife, and I am astounded at how carelessly the people in power would take something so special for granted, I wrote this for fourteen minutes then I lifted Red Feather’s box out of the widow to check if he’s already to fly yet, but it seemed he isn’t. I wrote the essay another fifteen minutes then I lifted Red Feather out t the sky to fly, but he wouldn’t budge. I just looked at him, he was a helpless bird who just lost his home, and his friends went somewhere far away. I realized it was getting dark and thought that Red Feather could perhaps stay the night with us, I’ll leave him some blueberries and water. I found myself restless in the night, my thoughts were centered on Red Feather. I went down to check on him and found him as he was many moments ago, still trying to get his wing to work, but he was too tired, I found that he ate some of the blueberries and drank the water. I saw his beaty eyes staring at me and I can’t help but feel sorry for what happened to him. But what if Red Feather can fly again, where would he go, I asked myself.

I woke up the next morning in my pajamas under the covers, as I made my way downstairs as briskly as I can I heard my Mom called. “Thomas. Thomas!”, she sounded concerned. I found her in the study holding Red Feather’s box in her arm in a nurturing way. “do you think she’s all set Mom?”, I said, my Mom and Grandpa are very supportive of me and my interest in animals and mission to protect them, they’ve been helping me with Red Feather since yesterday after dinner. I saw my Grandpa get angry a bit in contempt of that mayor and what he’s done to the woods. I guess he loved the woods as much as I did when he was young, my mom keeps telling him to be careful about that mayor, he’s very persistent to get his way, especially now when he’s rubbing elbows with the Hemlocks. “I think he’s all set now, Thomas. I found you a spot in the woods where we can give a safe and proper send off.”, my mom said cheerfully. I wished I’d never asked that question, I grew fond of Red Feather. I’ve always wanted a bird around the house for a pet, flying everywhere, maybe he can help me with my essays and short stories, be a muse of some sort. I could even teach him to do tricks. I preferred birds to other animals even dogs because they can fly and reach places, we can never to go to like treetops and mountain ranges, I think birds are amazing. “Mom can Red Feather stay for at least one day more?”, asked nervously, “alright, but we need to find him a new and permanent home, tomorrow.”, she said firmly. I took Red Feather to the study and read some of my favorite stories to him, I took him to the backyard to get him to fly, but he couldn’t. It had already been midday, but he hasn’t flown yet until one faithful moment in the garden when the wind blew hard. I saw Red Feather stand for the first time and flap his wings, when I saw this, I was overwhelmed with joy. I flew like before to the Blueberry bush in the garden, he ate some blueberries as some juice spilled from his beak hen, he flew to my index finger making it a porch, I jumped in excitement and he flew to the table where I stood at. After my brief moment of happiness, my eyes narrowed and my lips stood motionless as I figured now that he can fly, he has no reason to stay, I just sighed and waited for him to leave. I headed back inside, I suddenly paused when I felt a pair of sticks land firmly in my shoulder, I turned back around and saw it was Red Feather. I was happy that he opts to stay with me, it made me really happy to have my own pet bird. I spent the remainder of the day teaching Red Feather tricks such as how to fetch like a dog, I threw a Blueberry somewhere in the room and Red Feather swiped before it even hit the floor. I taught him how deliver notes like a pigeon. I wrote a note to my mom, that says of I can keep Red Feather and Red Feather took it the kitchen and went back to the study like I taught him. I even thought about teaching him to write and draw with his talons, but it was getting pretty dark, and I was getting tired. I took Red Feather to my room where he slept in the bird house, I made years ago for when I decide to keep a bird. It was red with a green roof with a perch protruding, after Red Feather’s last chirp I went to bed.

The next morning, I was awoken by the sweet-sounding Chirps that Red Feather was making, it felt nice to wake up to that. I hope my Mom got the note and I hope she agrees, Red Feather has been such fun yesterday. Red Feather briskly flew to my shoulder and we both went downstairs. I found Mom and Grandpa sitting in the dining room eating breakfast, they looked like they were discussing something. I greeted them both good morning and they did to. My mom leaned down to me and said, “Thomas it’s time to let Red Feather go.”, in the understanding way she can, I think she senses that I’ve grown rather attached to him. “but Mom, Red Feather seems to be happy with us.”, I said trying to induce my family into letting me keep Red Feather. “I’m sorry Thomas, But Red Feather can’t leave here and hope to survive for very long.”, my Mom says empathetically. “tell you what son, if we go to the woods later this afternoon and if bird feather decides to stay with us, we won’t make you give him up anymore.”, at last Grandpa Albert came to my rescue and gave me the ultimatum I’ve been asking for.

I spent the day with Bird Feather teaching him his tricks and I even successfully taught him how to write my name with his feet, on my desk in my room, he wrote with his sharp Talons, “Thomas Spencer” and chirped in glee. I wrote another letter to my Mom and I even saw how Red Feather climbed on to her shoulder and her the note with his bill, Mom was so surprised, she almost dropped the glass of water, but I think she found it amusing too. But after hours later Red Feather hadn’t chirped at all since this morning, he didn’t he circle below the ceiling like a vulture, he seemed down and motionless, I tried to give him some blueberries, but he didn’t eat even one. Despite Grandpa’s ultimatum to me, I still get my mind off the dilemma I was facing, if I let Red Feather go then he can live happily in the woods with his own kind, but we might never see each other again. On the other hand, if he stays, it might never bee the same in the wilderness, I read in a book once that the forests can provide the essential birds need to survive more than humans can. I didn’t want to lose my friend, nor did I want him to live miserably in the confinement of my house, I forced that on him, then how can I tell myself from the mayor anymore, I’d be just as selfish as he is. I thought long and hard about it and trotted downstairs and surprised Mom and Grandpa that I was going to let Red Feather choose and decide what was best for him no matter how hard it was and how heavy my chest would be afterwards. They both seemed to be proud of my decision, at least that made me happy.

Grandpa drove us all to the woods and he took us to a beautiful peak that was above a river and to the other side was a hill where tall pine trees where freshly frosted with a thick layer of snow. When I took Red Feather to the peak, he seemed excited and loved the spectacular view of what was beyond the peak, he flew to my face and he needn’t say it but he said goodbye with only his warm gray eyes, I was sad to see him leave, but he looked majestic when he did and I felt comfortable with the fact that he’s safe somewhere with his own kind a making new friends that can fly with him this time. I got back home with my family with a heavy heart. I was starting miss Red Feather already but was relieved to know that he’s safe. I went back to my room with heavy steps and a quiet spirit. When I opened the door, I imagined I was feeling Red Feather’s talons on my shoulder, and I imagined that he’d lift off and circle the ceiling once more, I felt small tears roll don from my eyes like wet boulders. What did make me smile though was when my hand just brushed on my name that Red Feather wrote on my desk with his talons, at least he’ll remember as well no matter the distance that divides us. 


                                                 #


End


May 26, 2021 06:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lorenzo Yabut
02:11 Jun 03, 2021

Red Feather is a story about a boy named Thomas who realizes his friend Red- Feather, a robin hasn't come to visit the blue berry bushes out his grandfather's window ever since the mayor bulldozed the forests. P.s I appreciate all your likes. please help me win the grand prize and please don't be abashed to share your feed back with me, I really do appreciate them. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.