3 comments

Fiction

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, they are from the show called The Wilds. I do, however, encourage you to watch this amazing show. You can find it on Amazon Prime. (:

Also Spoilers. Please watch the show first if you don't like spoilers.


Toni sits in class waiting for her best friend to get to class. Her best friend had stated that she would be late but Toni didn't think she'd be this late. She checks her watch for what seems like the fifth time in 10 minutes. She hears the door open and her head snaps up at the sound. Instead of Marty, her best friend, entering the room it's a girl with blonde hair. She has piercing green eyes and a wide smile on her face. If Toni is being honest the smile looks rehearsed and fake. It makes her hate the girl a little. The teacher looks over at her and with an excited welcome she introduces the blonde.


"Class, this is Shelby Goodkind." The teacher gestures over to Shelby, "Why don't you give us a little run down on who you are, hmm?" Then the teacher leans against his desk and crosses his arms waiting.


Shelby turns to the class before opening her mouth to speak, "Well, Hi y'all. I'm from a small town in Texas, called Fort Travis. I have two younger siblings goin' to the middle school down the road. My daddy's a preacher and my Momma is a stay-at-home mom." She stops there her eyes searching the crowd as she speaks, her eyes land on me and they stay there for at least 10 seconds during the pause, and then she snaps her eyes away and keeps talking, "I do pageants or at least did them in the past." She chuckles lightly at that before continuing, "I'm a youth minister and I was part of the yearbook...." Shelby keeps talking but Toni zones out after the youth minister part.


Her thoughts startup then "of course she's a homophobe, fucking typical." She then looks around the room, when she finds out what she was looking for she sighs. "of course, the only open seat is next to me, fucking Martha being late." It seems Shelby has stopped talking is making her way over to Toni. She gives Toni a small smile before taking her seat next to her. "she's white, blonde, straight, and homophobic. And now she's my fucking science partner. Great fucking luck Toni."


"Hi, what's your name?" Shelby asks her with the same smile as before.


"None of your business," Toni states with a grumble.


Shelby frowns slightly "I'm just tryin' to get to know my partner."


Toni can't help but laugh at the way she said partner, her accent is so thick she sounds like she's in a damn western.


It makes Shelbys frown deepen. "Did I say something funny?" She asks with slight annoyance in her voice.


Toni just shakes her head. Her eyes haven't left the teacher since the start of this conversation.


"Then why did you laugh?" Shelby pushes.


Toni sighs, "The way you said the word partner. It humored me." She says with a shrug at the end.


"Humored you?" The annoyance seems to grow.


"Yes, you sounded like you came straight out of a western." Toni still isn't looking at her.


Shelby scoffs "Whatever." Then she turns to the front.


It's another few minutes before Shelby turns to her again. "You still didn't tell me your name."


"And I'm not going to."


"I need to know your name though."


"For what exactly?"


"So we can do this project."


This catches Toni's attention "What project?" She's looking at Shelby now, she has a slight smirk on her face.


"The one the teacher just put on the board for us to do, something you obviously weren't paying attention to despite looking at the teacher the whole time." There is sass in Shelby's voice, something Toni never thought would be there.


Toni looks at the board then, on it are detailed instructions for a project on biology. They have to take their genes and figure out the possible outcomes for their children. "This will definitely piss her off, having to even think about having a kid with another female." Toni can't help but smirk at this thought.


"Fine then, my name is Toni." Shelby starts typing on a computer that Toni didn't notice before. On the screen is a slide show with both of their name now on it.


Shelby's eyes are on here now, "Well, you have dimples and freckles, I have neither so they would be dominant." She's typing while talking.


Toni's eyes furrow "Wait, why aren't you freaking out right now?"


"Why would I be freaking out?"


"Because you have to pretend to have a kid with me, another girl."


"So? What's wrong with that? You're not homophobic are you?" Shelby asks with a frown.


Toni's eyebrows raise "What? No, I thought you were." Then she starts laughing cause she was so wrong.


"Noo, I'm gay actually," Shelby says with a small giggle of her own.


"Yeah, same," Toni says once she's able to stop laughing enough.


"Well I guess that's settled then, so I have green eyes and you have brown so again yours are dominant," Shelby says with a smile, already moving on.


"Well, I hope they have your lips, there nice," Toni says before she can think too much about it. Her cheeks flush immediately


Shelby blushes as well "Thanks, Toni."


Toni was very wrong about this girl.


Shelby's POV


I walk into my first class of the day. As soon as I do the teacher greets me with a wide smile and an excited hello.


"Class, this is Shelby Goodkind." The teacher gestures over to me, "Why don't you give us a little run down on who you are, hmm?" Then the teacher leans against his desk and crosses his arms waiting.


I turn to the class giving them a wide smile before speaking. " "Well, Hi y'all. I'm from a small town in Texas, called Fort Travis. I have two younger siblings goin' to the middle school down the road. My daddy's a preacher and my Momma is a stay-at-home mom." My eyes were roaming the room as I spoke. They stopped on one girl, in particular, she has long wavy brown hair, beautiful light brown eyes, and a frown on her face. She looks very intimidating and it makes me snap my eyes away from her, I didn't realize that the whole time I was looking at her I had stopped speaking so I start up again. "I do pageants or at least did them in the past." I laugh lightly at that before continuing, "I'm a youth minister and I was part of the yearbook club back at my old school." As I give this information My eyes fall back onto the brown-haired girl.


Her eyes are roaming the room now and then they fall back onto the seat next to her, She rolls her eyes hard. I try to keep my eyebrows from furrowing at the sight. After I finish talking I make my way over to her. I sit down in my seat next to her and open my laptop.


"Hi, what's your name?" I ask with my best smile.


"None of your business," The girl grumbles out at me.


I can't help the frown that forms on my face at how closed off she's being, I mean, I'm just trying to be nice. "I'm just trying to get to know my partner," I state.


She laughs at me or at something then and my frown deepens


"Did I say something funny?" annoyance now filling my voice.


She shakes her at me, her eyes still haven't left the teacher yet.


"Then why did you laugh?" I push.


She sighs then "The way you said the word partner. It humored me." She shrugs.


"Humored you?" My annoyance grows at this, she has some nerve.


"Yes, you sounded like you came straight out of a western." She still isn't looking at me and it pisses me off some.


"Whatever." I watch the teacher put instructions on the board for the project about our genetics. I turn to the girl next to me once more.


"You still haven't told me your name."


"And I'm not going to."


I open up google slides and then start setting it up for the project, I put my name and then speak again "I need to know your name though."


"For what exactly?"


"So we can do the project."


That seems to catch her attention as she finally looks at me. "What project?"


"The one the teacher just put on the board for us to do, something you obviously weren't paying attention to despite looking at the teacher the whole time." There is sass in my voice. I rarely use it but I felt like I needed to.


She looks at the board now and then back over at me with a smirk on her face. I wonder what that's all about.


"Fine then, my name is Toni." I start typing in her name next to mine on the screen.


I look over at Toni then and start speaking "Well, you have dimples and freckles, I have neither so they would be dominant." I type while talking.


Toni's eyebrows furrow at this for some reason. "Wait, why are you freaking out?"


"Why would I freak out?" I question with an eyebrow raised


"Because you have to pretend to have a kid with me, another girl."


"So? What's wrong with that? You're not homophobic are you?" I ask with a frown. I really hope she's not homophobic. I thought my gaydar was better than that.


Toni's eyebrows raise "What? No, I thought you were." Then she starts laughing. I try not to be slightly offended by that cause I did say my dad was a preacher and that I was part of the youth ministry.


"Noo, I'm gay actually," I say letting out a small giggle myself.


"Yeah, same," Toni says once she stops laughing.


"Well I guess that's settled then, so I have green eyes and you have brown so again yours are dominant," I say with a smile, already moving on.


"Well, I hope they have your lips, there nice," Toni says her cheeks flush immediately


I blush as well "Thanks, Toni."


That is actually really nice of her to say, and when she smiles she doesn't look all that intimidating. Maybe she's not as bad as I thought.


Authors Note: This was so fun to write. I'm obsessed with these two characters. AHHHH.

January 31, 2022 20:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Coffee McCann
04:24 Feb 01, 2022

This sounds like it was fun to write. It was certainly fun to read! Great job with the different pov! -Coffee

Reply

14:11 Feb 02, 2022

Thank you, It really was fun to write. I always have a hard time getting inside other people's ( characters that aren't my own) heads.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

PART TWO! PART TWO! ( shouting part two in the middle of class then looks down but everybody still looking at me๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿคญ) I wanna part two, boo. But seriously tho you need to be an actual author. All of your books will sell before you would get a chance to sign them all and You'll get noble peace prizes before your 30, not 30 but 25! and the next books I'll be buying all your books and putting manga aside for a bit! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.