13 comments

Desi Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

CW : Reference to suicide, violence


The mofussil bus threw a cloud of dust and smoke on Lokesh’s face before he could turn away after getting down. The peepal tree stood at the same place, he noted; and the platform around it. Only the wastrels and old men who sat under it, a few chewing betel nuts meditatively, and others gossiping and observing who came to the village and who left it, seemed to have changed. Fifteen years would have sent a few to their graves and others back to their homes.

He hoisted his light backpack on his right shoulder and lowered his head. And walked briskly down the mud road that led to the village, before any of those peepal tree gossips started asking him questions. The questions playing in his head were already beginning to burst at his temples.

Round the bend, stood the same old tamarind tree. Lush with green leaves and filled with pink buds. Would Kamala be still sitting up there, on one of its low branches, and watching him? Would she jump down in front of him and thrust forward her palms filled with half-ripe tamarinds? 

Coming here was a bad idea.

He walked past the tree, past the jowar and sugarcane fields, inhaling the sweetness of the unripe grains. And resisted the temptation to dig the little whorls left on the side of the mud road to make the ladybugs scramble out.

The Government Higher Secondary School building, behind the sunflower field, floated up on the horizon. If he walked into the field now, would Kamala be still digging her hands in the black soil beneath the crop and spray a handful of dirt on his school uniform? Then run away giggling and turn her bright face to him on being caught, and sing “You are my sun!” before smearing his face with more dirt?

Coming back here was the stupidest idea.

He took a deep breath and picked up the pace. The handpump close to the school looked new. The school had been given a coat of fresh paint and a few colourful wall arts showed cheerful children pointing at the list of constitutional rights and duties. Would Kamala be sitting at the back bench, alone, if he peeped into the window of class VA?

It is not too late. Maybe I should return to the bus stop and wait for the next bus to take me back to Bidar.

The track from school onwards still branched into three. From what he remembered, the first one led to the village head and other keepers of the place. The second one led to where his family had lived, and then fled. The third one led to…his hands trembled.

I should definitely turn back.

He trudged on the loose soil the bullock carts had left behind. And took the second lane. It was afternoon. The sun beat down on the bare brick structures that had slanting, tiled roofs. His feet stopped at a bylane. If he went down there to the fifth house on the left and opened the door, would he still find his mother crying sitting next to his father’s bloodied body? And screaming “you brought this upon us!”

I am sorry Appa! I didn’t understand your world.

He turned back and headed to the place that had started it all. To the school.

The main gates were closed. The side gate was left open. The hedge close to the corridor was still pale green duranta. He moved past the shadows of the pillars along the empty corridors. The cobalt blue windows and doors of the classrooms were shut. It was a Sunday.

He stopped at IIIB. If he walked into the classroom, would he find Kamala offering her lunch to him after he was left crying beside his spilled lunch by the boys who found his stammer loathsome?

Nausea overtook him. He moved to the quadrangle that still had the football field. If he kicked the ball into the goalpost without a net, would Kamala jump up and down clapping and cheering him, unmindful of wrathful eyes that befell her?

A flight of steps took him back to his adolescence. He felt a knot in his stomach as he walked past the closed door of IXC, behind which he had whispered “You are my first and the only one” to Kamala, and didn’t know its reverberations would result in an earthquake in the village.

You naïve little fool!

Even as he felt his feet grow heavier, he knew he had to go back to the village, into its heart. He had come this far. There would be no turning back now. If his insides hurt like someone had run a sickle through him, it was only fair.

As he made his way back, he felt more than a couple of curious eyes on him. Yet, he dragged himself to the well at the centre of the village. His head swam as he looked down its dark depths. If he jumped into it, would he be able to save Kamala? And tell her it doesn’t matter their fathers fought over their castes. They, the educated, the new generation would prove there are no such divisions?

I am so sorry Kamala! I wasn’t strong enough.

“What are you doing?” a voice called out and a pair of hands grabbed his shoulders.

Lokesh’s mind went blank for a second. Then, his gaze moved from the hands on his shoulders to an old shocked face.

“You look…familiar,” the jagged voice from the old face struggled to place him.

A small group had already gathered around the well. The kids looked fascinated. A few elders looked flabbergasted.

Lokesh looked up at them and the row of houses behind them; a few tiled and a few thatched. If he walked into their houses, would they still rant, “How dare you pollute our homes after your dalliance with a lower caste girl maimed your father?”

A man in jeans and a kurta made his way through the growing crowd. He came forward with an apologetic smile.

“Deputy Commissioner Mr. Lokesh Patil? I am Raj Paswan- Village Panchayat Secretary, sir. I just received information from your assistant. If only you had informed me about your visit, sir. I would have arranged for a proper welcome.”

Lokesh nodded at him.

“No need Mr. Paswan. This is not an official visit.”

“Even so, to think you chose to visit our remote village a day after taking charge, what an honour sir.”

You have no idea! This is the only place that can take me home.

The young fellow looked earnest.

“Mr. Paswan, I was just wondering… would you mind coming along?”. Lokesh gestured towards the third lane that led to where Kamala once lived.

It was dusk when the last bus for the day trundled on the road. Lokesh felt the breeze from the window graze his face and heaved a sigh of relief. The young village panchayat secretary had a fire in his belly and was eager to do his bit, in getting the children to enrol in the school, and the adults to live without throwing slurs. A daunting task; smoothened a little by the technology brought in by the rolling years.

Lokesh felt a heavy weight lift off from his chest. All those years of guilt, pain, and anger lodged like crickets in his brain had quietened a bit. It was a clear night sky. If he looked up, would he see Kamala twinkling at him?


September 02, 2022 06:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Graham Kinross
08:08 Sep 12, 2022

It’s sad to have to worry about caste in your school. Is that common? I know there is a lot of change in the air between castes but western media doesn’t talk about it much. We take for granted that hard work or even lunch can take you from the bottom of the social ladder to the top.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
13:31 Sep 12, 2022

Thanks for the read and comment. Unfortunately, it used to be that way in rural areas in the past. Things have improved nowadays. I guess every culture has its share of challenges, like racism and classism in west. One can always hope that technology and education will create a more level playing field.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:33 Sep 12, 2022

Education sounds like the best bet. Media can help to win people over without them realising it. Normalising better behaviour through media can be very beneficial.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beth Jackson
02:24 Sep 05, 2022

Oh this is beautiful, Suma! There’s so much to like here - but I particularly enjoyed the way I was transported and so fully engrossed in your setting. Beautifully written, loved the tension and utterly heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing this important story. :-)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:02 Sep 05, 2022

Thank you so much, Beth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
00:21 Sep 05, 2022

The whole tone of this story feels tinged with regret and self-doubt. I love how the past is a bit of a mystery, accentuated by the literal questions placed throughout. This line could have stood all on its own: “If he jumped into it, would he be able to save Kamala?” Such a powerful, culminating question that ties the story together. I really liked the immersive setting which you established right from the beginning. Well done :)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:01 Sep 05, 2022

Thank you so much Aeris! You are very kind, as always.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:52 Sep 04, 2022

Hello Suma, I love the development of Lokesh, how he’s so ambivalent at first returning to the village, and then develops such conviction. This is a beautiful story, like Moonlight and Madness you’ve created succinct characters shaped by huge social and political issues. Epic storytelling!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
06:02 Sep 05, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind words, L. I just loved what you posted this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
14:50 Sep 03, 2022

I love how much mystery you put into such a short piece, Suma. I always appreciate these types of stories where the author gives you pieces of the backstory slowly, instead of all at once at the outset of the narrative. Keeps us guessing and keeps us reading when we have to connect the pieces of the puzzles for ourselves. I say all that to say that I LOVED two specific moments when you really hit us with the impact of that withholding technique. The first was: "If he went down there to the fifth house on the left and opened the door, would ...

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
15:36 Sep 03, 2022

I'm so glad you liked the story, Zack. Somehow, I end up with short pieces more often than I would like to. 😂 This story would remain special to me because I have been wanting to write about this particular social issue for sometime now. As always, I appreciate your generous comment. You read with great attention to technical part of the piece. That part always eludes me, I'm afraid I'm too much of a go with the flow writer. So I'm thankful to be told what worked here. P.S - I really liked the story you posted this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:03 Sep 02, 2022

A lovely, bittersweet story. Right from the beginning, it's clear something is wrong. Considering fifteen years have passed, he has seemingly pleasant memories of Kamala, and he dreads having come back, I assumed it must have been a lost love, which it turns out to be. Ah, but why? That, we don't learn until later, and we also learn that Kamala herself is lost. So here we have the bitter. She was of a lower caste, deemed unfit for him, and their love resulted in violence between their parents, and ultimately her death. I suspect she drow...

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
14:17 Sep 03, 2022

Thank you so much, Michal! You perceived the story exactly as intended and that makes me happy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.