BACK TO SQUARE ONE

Written in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “Back to square one.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

The seas on planet tellus are treacherous. One moment there is calm and in the next there is a gale. Navigating in the dark is very tricky with only starlight. But the 3 government boats were sailing at full speed chasing the bandit who was fleeing. They had been tipped off that Ted was on his way to Rubi Isle. But Ted was an expert at avoiding capture. As they neared the coast Ted saw the lighthouse glowing on Rubi Isle and he knew it was the right time to escape. He slipped off his boat into the sea and swam towards the shore. The forces in pursuit were anticipating just that move but they could not sight Ted in the dark. The first boat which followed had 3 men and they quickly landed. They could see Ted fleeing on land and followed him as there was a prize on his head. ‘‘Moving ahead Ted quickly climbed a tree and sat hoping the water dripping from him wouldn’t give him away. The 3 men who were in chase lost sight of Ted as they weren’t familiar with the area. While they gave up the search Ted came down from the tree followed a trail which led to the cave of Man of God (MOG) the seer. Ted knew the king’s forces would not enter the cave out of respect.

Ted estimated it was past midnight and when he reached the cave he was met by MOG’s dog Lama. Lama knew Ted and allowed him into a second cave, the first one belonging entirely to MOG. Lama observed Ted removing the bag around his neck. It was wet but two bags below was the booty he wanted to stow. There was a secret compartment in the cave wall and Lama saw Ted putting the bag within it. He then settled to sleep on a mat on the floor.

Ted knew MOG’s routine in the mornings. When MOG was ready, a large crowd of devotees would gather.  Well before that Ted went to MOG followed by Lama. After salutations Ted said “Last night while I was coming in here, the king’s forces chased me on the sea.. They wanted to catch me with my life time booty but I’ve safely deposited it here.

“Do you agree to donating a part of the value of your loot to be used for the poor and the ailing?”

“Definitely. Please take whatever you need.”

“You can stay here out of sight if you have to. Food will be brought and you can have it.”

 Lama watched as Ted stood uncertainly wondering about what to do when suddenly he realized he had a visitor and wagged his tail.

That morning God Ra had dropped down from the skies to planet tellus – earth’s twin- and reached Rubi Isle. Going just beyond it he was at Mount Lay where MOG dwelt.  Ra couldn’t be seen but whispered into Lama’s ear “Lama I want to talk to you in private.”

Lama wagged his tail and led him to another cave which was empty but had a seat in it. Ra said “Lama, it is now a year since I was here last. At that time I gave you the power to understand human talk as requested by you. Now I’ve come to hear what you’ve to say. You’ll have a human male’s voice for an hour. Start by telling me what that fellow standing beside you was doing.”

Lama thought a while and spoke: With the gift you had given me I could follow what humans speak and know what is happening by listening to the talk of people who come here to solve their problems. Take bandit Ted who was standing near me.. He was a bandit and surely has taken refuge here. He has broken off with his mistress Irma and has chosen Palma instead. Ted had brought the stolen ornaments of gold and diamonds and deposited them with MOG. I know he has given up banditry and is seeking the king’s pardon through MOG. They say Irma is playing a double game. She has a lover in our king’s court and is intent on vengeance on Ted. I couldn’t speak and so couldn’t convey the information to MOG.”

“Let me have a little diversion. I’ll make him visit the nearby gambling centre. I don’t want him killed. So I’ll watch and return.”

Ted had stood wondering of the doings of Lama. He suddenly felt he wanted to gamble. He checked in his bag and said to himself “I’ve seed cash” as he walked towards the gambling center. Ted joined the game. He won the first round. With his money doubled he bet on a second game. Again ḥe won. H staked all he had on the fourth game and won a large amount. It was now time he felt to get off. As he came out a man with an oversize moustache was waiting with a drawn knife. The man said “Give me the money or you’re dead.”

When Ted resisted, 2 others joined and seized him. Moustache said “Ted We’ll take all the money you’ve made and take you to Irma who is waiting to punish you. We had been looking for you near Mount Low and have found you.” Ted was dragged and they reached Irma’s residence.

Irma who was told came out and said “Ted, you know abandoning me for Palma was a serious blunder. Why did you do it?”

Ted was silent. Irma said “I know you went away promising to bring her the booty you had accumulated. One of your maids is still loyal to me and she tipped me off. Give it to me or I'll make you such that you won’t need a mistress again in this life.”

Her tone was frightening. Ra who had been following saw a maid come with a forceps and a red hot coal brazier.

Ted didn’t reply. Irma said “This is the end of you. Palma will want you no more.”

Suddenly there was a noise of the fence being broken and a wild boar charged into the home. They all took cover and when they returned Ted wasn’t found. The boar hadn’t attacked Ted and he had fled after picking up his winnings which had been dropped. Ted returned to Mount Low thanking God for having saved him.

Back in the cave sensing the presence of Ra, Lama wagged his tail. Ra said “Why don’t you speak? I’ve given you the ability for at least a while.”

“Great God! I want my canine state again. I’m tired of listening to what humans say.  Almost identical complaints and appeals! I really don’t know how MOG has the patience to listen.”

“Alright you’ll have it your way.” That was how Lama made it back to square one.

END

April 18, 2023 12:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.