0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Christian Contemporary

January 30, 2020


   On the news there was talk of this new virus starting in China. The President says there’s nothing to worry about we’ll just close the boarders and keep it from spreading. I had a good work out today at the gym. I wonder what’s going to happen with this new virus called Coronavirus-19.


February 20, 2020

  There are deaths in China and the virus is spreading to different countries in Europe. There have been a few confirmed cases her but the President says we shouldn’t get an outbreak of cases.


March 19, 2020

   There is a surge in coronavirus cases in the US. The virus is air born. The Governor has asked us to wear masks. No word from the President. Our hospitals may not be equipped to deal with so many cases. We are being asked to social distance. It is difficult to find masks to wear. Everyone is scrambling to make there own.


April 30, 2020.


   Over 2000 more people have died from the virus were in a state of emergency the Governor has declared. The President went to a rally last week and didn’t wear a mask. I’m getting use to the death toll climbing. They said it was a deadly spring. My husband works for the utilities. He’s essential workers and has to go to work. Who would of thought grocery clerks are also and we pay them so little. If it weren’t for these people risking there lives we wouldn’t have essential services. Let’s not forget all the people that work at the hospitals. The front line workers who’s job it is to take care of us. Such a dangerous job in these times.


May 21, 2020.


   I can’t go to church even though I’d like to. I need Mass to help lift me up in this time of need. I pray every day for the health of my family and the country. They show on the news the ICU units are packed full of patients with Covid. This is such a terrible crisis and we’re lacking leadership to see us through it. They have closed the parks. Too many people not social distancing. On the weekend there is no where to go. We take walks around our community just to get outside. Quarantine is no fun but it’s better than the alternative.


June 30, 2020.


   The office buildings are empty. Everyone that can is working from home. I heard a rumor that the leases are not being renewed. The office buildings will remain empty for now. When you go for a walk in the morning no one is on the street. It’s like a sci-fi movie were we’ve been invaded by aliens called Covid. The problem being we have no idea when we can get them to leave. We need a vaccine. I’m not worried about the President anymore to many mixed signals and no real leadership through this crisis. It’s like I’m taking my direction from the Governor. The death toll has dropped that’s a good thing more people outdoors. But there warning about a surge of cases in the fall. More people indoors and gatherings for the holidays.



July 20, 2020.


   I cut my own hair and made a mess of it back in April.  There were no beauty shops open and I was having a problem with it. Since then I’ve had them cut it three times and it’s still not right. What a time to have a hair problem too.  The masks are too warm to wear in this heat. I can barely breath when I’m outside. I’m staying in the house mostly. My husband is doing his community service via zoom meetings. That’s what everyone is doing now because of the pandemic. Were adapting to being isolated. Even the kids can’t go to school and some are having a hard time learning on the computers. I guess there is no group of people this virus has not affected.


August 30, 2020


   I got a letter from my uncle’s estate. He left me a cheek. I never meet him but heard about him from my mother. I guess he must of heard of me too. Anyway, the Bank is open know so I deposited the check. They said it would take a while to clear because it’s euro dollars. I keep thinking about people that have older parents. That must be tough not seeing them or seeing them and risking spreading the virus. I could not imagine my dad being alive this year. He lived to be 80 years old and died 12 years ago. Now I’m not saying I’m glad he’s dead but I am glad he does not have to cope with Covid-19. Sometimes there are blessings in disguise.


September 30, 2020.


   The kids can’t go back to school. There trying to give them a day or two a week. But If you ask me it’s too dangerous. Little kids won’t understand about social distancing and washing there hands all day. There going to make a generation of Obsessive Compulsive kids. They will be fighting germ warfare all day long. I’m getting use to the new normal.  In every store you go in they tell you were to stand and wait at the cash. They have markers 6 ft apart from the next person. Makes you wonder if well ever be comfortable being close to one another again. The stadiums are empty too. They have cardboard fans in the stands. There still playing professional sports even though it does not make sense. Every week another player tests positive for the virus. The game has to be delayed and there putting lives at risk.


October 20, 2020.


   Outdoor dining is allowed at some restaurants. My husband and I got take out Chinese food for a treat. The restaurants are being hit hard through this pandemic. Imagine if you were a waitress you’d probably be unemployed now. The unemployment rate has sky rocketed. We eat our food in silence. We are tired of this way of life but at the same time are blessed not to be sick. It’s hard to complain about nothing being open, wearing a mask, cooking every night, no socializing and being afraid of hospitals. When there are so many people suffering and dying with this thing. We remember to count our blessings and say a pray after dinner that this pandemic goes soon.


November 20, 2020.


   The Governor has warned against holiday travel this thanksgiving. No big social gatherings either. Just the people that live in your house should be at thanksgiving this year. Well we have a lot to be thankful for. Being alive is just one of the things to be grateful for. We give thanks for our health and strength. It’s been a challenging year can we give thanks that it soon will be over.


December 20, 2020.


   Christmas like none other in my lifetime. Sure the decorations are hung and in my heart it’s Christmas time. The death toll in the US is reaching 500,000 lives. It seems grim but there is a glimmer of hope. They have a vaccine for the virus. A lot of people including the Pope are saying that it should be free to everyone. Finally something the world can agree on. Let’s hope it works and gets rid of this plague. Jesus gave us another Christmas present.

February 05, 2021 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.