3 comments

Inspirational

Shadow Gazing

For over few months, I have been trying a strange experiment called shadow gazing. I would go to the terrace each morning, stand against the sun and stare at my shadow for a while, after which I would shut my eyes and look at the sky. Each time the impression that I had of the shadow in my mind’s eye was of a different colour or shape. I kept practising this for a while, each time when I closed my eyes and saw the impression in my mind, I could sometimes see my shadow would be full, sometimes part, sometimes headless, sometimes in red, sometimes in white. Each time it was fascinating. I felt that the shadow I had could actually speak to me in the form of colours and images when I tried to reflect on it after closing my eyes. When I was unwell, I could see a red impression. When I was happy and healthy, it was a white impression. When I was angry and upset, it was black. I was fascinated by this secret.

One fine day, just like any other day I practised the shadow gazing and then closed my eyes to reflect on it. My shadow impression had turned into a full-blown figurine, a man. What was earlier a blurry impression of my shadow, was now a man. I stared within my mind and wondered how this came to be. The man’s figurine became sharper and sharper, whilst getting larger. Out of disbelief, I burst open my eyes.

I ran downstairs, sipped a glass of water and washed my sweaty face, while staring blankly at the mirror. I knew what I saw but what was I actually seeing. My memory fresh and raw. I had a long day trying to understand my hallucination. I slept early that night, exhausted by the happenings of the day.

The next morning, I got up, trying this experiment once more, and this time when I closed my eyes to see the impression, there was nothing. Yes, nothing at all. I opened my eyes and looked down at my shadow. My shadow was moving around me slowly. I walked away in a state of shock, and the shadow followed with a long pause. I jumped, it stood still. WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME?

I went to my room and sat on the bed. I could see the shadow growing out of me and into the wall in front of me, into a shape of a man. Then, the shadow-man stepped out of the wall and came stood in front of me. I didn’t move an inch. I just stared. It then came and sat next to me and moved closer to my ears to whisper something.

I couldn’t understand, but then something made me want to take a pen and writing pad. I started writing. Writing whatever he was whispering in my ear in the same letters as pronounced to me. There were too many vowels and gibberish in between. It still wasn’t English I felt. I kept writing while my brain froze but hands moved, my eyes moving upwards to my forehead. After writing for several lines, the shadow-man stopped, and I came back to my senses. It actually read ‘I am here for you. I will move wherever you go. I am your inner-man. I, like shadows of every other human being are trapped in human mind. The experiment you did has set me free. Now that you have me, I can reveal your secrets to you and even secrets of every other individual to you, by whispering to your ears. I can be your guide, your master, your slave, whatever you choose. My shadow and other shadows inked to humans are all cosmically interlinked in the world of darkness. We exist and we find our resource in the dark world. I have this power. However, I need you to do one thing for me. I need you to buy a mirror at least 6 feet tall and fix it in your room.’

The shadow-man made a very strange request. I wondered and then I acted immediately and ordered a large-size mirror which got delivered the next day. After setting a place for the mirror, I tried to meditate on the shadow-man and he appeared, I opened my eyes after feeling the movement he made next to me. He moved inside the mirror. The shadow-colour changed from black to blue-green-yellow-orange, strangely all colours. After which, I tried touching the mirror, and an invisible hand held me. It was a gentle touch. I stared at shadow-man’s faceless face and asked ‘I got the mirror. May I know why you wanted me to get this for you? Is this mirror your home?’

Again, I sensed that he would talk to me through the notepad, I got the pen and notepad and started to write, he again froze my mind while I started to vociferously write. After I stopped writing, I read the words ‘I am now your projection inside the mirror. Each time you want me to follow, you can have me move out of this mirror and follow you. But when you don’t need me I will remain here, finding my solace with my friends.’

Friends?’ I asked. ‘Where are your friends?’ I questioned.

Again, with the notepad I wrote and then later re-read ‘My friends are the extra-dimensional beings which cannot be visible to you. They are shadows beyond my dimension, and obviously beyond yours. They reside in a parallel reality. They are my shadow from the far beyond.’

This was a different experience for me, the weight of what I wrote was indeed so deep and fascinating. We all are from a reality where our bodies are seen to be static, however within our body there are several other bodies that can further break space-time interregnum. I knew right then, that this was the beginning of a new world for me and a new exciting life. 

May 02, 2021 13:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Gladness Seisa
18:09 Sep 18, 2022

Interesting..is this a true story that happened or js a writer z imagination??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen McDermott
12:41 May 08, 2021

Very interesting spooky story. A good premise for the start of a novel, perhaps.

Reply

Rahu Ketu
10:34 Jul 07, 2021

Thank you 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.