2 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Urban Fantasy

“I know what you’re thinking”.

“No. You don’t”.

“I wish I did”. 

A sigh. “Fine”. 

Mary stood in front of the metal tube. It reminded her of a tomb. In fact, in many ways, it was a tomb. How could he do this to her. And even dare to ask her what she thought about it. A shot of betrayal and anger ran through her and up her spine. Her face swelled red. 

“You want to know what I think?” she growled at him. He stared back at her with dark eyes. He seemed solemn and content. Mary knew it wasn’t his fault. He wasn’t forcing her to do this. But he didn’t even try to stop them. He didn’t say anything to the counsel when they announced the premonition. He knew it was wrong. And she knew it was wrong. 

“Yes, I do”. He said. He was looking straight at her. His gaze didn’t falter. 

“I think you’re a coward. You,” she jabbed his chest with a pointed finger, “let them do this. You didn’t say anything. You stood there and accepted it. And now I’m forced to give up everything. My whole life. Because a bunch of old guys think it’s the only way.” She turned away from him. “But it isn't the only way. It can’t be the only way.” She looked down in defeat. “No one even asked me what I thought.”

There was a long pause. Mary stood there, her back turned. Tears began to swell in her eyes. She didn’t feel angry anymore. Mary knew better. Whatever the council says, goes. She knew it wasn’t his fault. She needed someone to blame. Someone to yell at. He was the only one there. The only one that has ever been there for her. 

Mary felt a warm hand on her shoulder. There was light pressure as it squeezed. She slouched forward and the tears really started to pour. She craved his hand more than anything right now. It was a reminder of what she could’ve had for so many years. 

“I’m sorry, Mary. I’m so sorry. I never wanted any of this to happen. But it’s the only way. You have a chance to save millions of people.” Although he was trying to encourage her, Mary could tell his voice was wavering. He was holding back tears too. 

“The council is wrong. The world isn’t ending. It can’t!” The world had been thriving for billions of years. The human race had thrived on Earth for more than 500,000 years. Mary had learned from her history books. All the accomplishments of the human race. Prosperity reigned across it’s continents. It wasn’t gonna end. There was no way. 

“The council has powers unlike anyone else. They can see the future, Mary. We have to trust them.” Mary turned to look at him. 

“I don’t wanna leave you”. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in tight. 

“I know. I don’t wanna leave you either. But it’s the only way.” 

Mary shook her head. She turned towards the large metal tomb again. The cylinder was about six feet tall and five feet wide. 

Mary closed her eyes and imagined what the world would be like when she emerged centuries later. The councilmen proclaimed she was the only one that could save humanity. Apparently, when Mary was born, she was born special. Mary was born with a unique strand of DNA. It was the perfect strand. There were no flaws or mutations. Not only that, Mary’s DNA had a special set of instructions. The instructions supposedly contained the recipe for humanity to prosper. No illness, no disease, no cancer. Ever since she was born, scientists had been prodding at her skin. Needles and scalpels filled her weekends while other kids had sleepovers and football games. Her parents tried to give her as normal a life as they could. The facility had a library with plenty of books to read. There was a gym to exercise. A kitchen to cook and bake. She even had a full-sized master bedroom complete with TV and games. They treated her well. But she had no one to talk to other than white-coated scientists. And her parents, when they were allowed to visit. 

Mary had grown used to this life. It was lonesome, but she knew she was doing good for humanity by being there. She accepted her fate, as if she had a choice. But she always thought that one day, after the scientists were done prodding her, she might be able to leave. To go back to her parent’s home. She wanted that more than anything. To be normal. She wanted a life like the characters from all of the books she read. She wanted friends, a family, and a pet. 

But after the council gave their premonition she had no choice but to leave those dreams behind. The world was ending in a month. At least society was. The councilmen predicted that a series of meteroes were to crash down to Earth and crumble society. The councilmen predicted devastation and disaster. Buildings and empires would come crashing down. Only a few thousand were meant to survive. Mary had to go into the time capsule. She was to be buried for five centuries. To give the survivors time to rebuild society. Mary was meant to reenter the world to give hope. To spread her DNA and create a new race of humans. One’s that would be protected from disease and illness. The time capsule was meant to protect Mary and save the human race. 

She knew she shouldn’t be selfish. Even if there was one more month to live. She wanted to live that last month her way. With no scientists, no needles, no white coats, or gurneys. Mary just wanted to be with her family. But they expected her, needed her, to make the ultimate sacrifice. 

Mary wiped away her tears with a closed fist. She turned to him. Looked him in the eyes. She hugged him. He shook his head in contemplation, trying to think of another way. She lifted her hand and touched his cheek. Her eyes told him it was OK. She would make it OK. 

Mary swung her legs into the capsule. She laid down. She looked up at him and spoke her last words for five hundred years before he closed the capsule door. 

“I love you, dad”.

“I love you too, Mary”.

October 04, 2020 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Atychi Phobia
21:46 Oct 14, 2020

Aw, that's such a sweet (well...bittersweet) ending! I love it! Great job. The only thing I would add would be to make sure to check for punctuation mistakes next time. Great story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sam W
20:30 Oct 10, 2020

I loved how Mary’s last moments were spent with her dad. It makes the situation seem real and sad. Her attitude towards her fate, as the special kid who’s been raised with responsibility, is also realistic. I’d watch out for punctuation errors in your next submission.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.