3 comments

Christian Coming of Age Adventure

The branches moved with the green leaves waving in the wind with the sun peeking through, a cool breeze brushing across my face. Looking over our home nestled on the top of the hill on Violet Road in Odessa, Ontario. The Big White House sits majestically overlooking a stream running at the West side of a scenic view. With the rustling of babbling brook, you feel like this is heaven. As a child has stayed with me of a dream you, I could hope to remember until the end. Mom was calling out the door “Valerie come in and have lunch” calling back “ok mom, coming”. Mom knew where I would be, which was sitting in the largest apple tree, I had ever seen, rooted securely beside the garage towering over 30 feet and, on all branches, not one missed having apples on it. As I climb down the tree the sun glistened and flickered off every leaf with a star like shimmer to it, picking an apple on the way down and taking that first bit, so sweet and warm from the sun, summer holidays were about to start.

Joyfully running to the front door knowing that mom would have my favorite sandwich for lunch "peanut butter and banana". Walking up to the front door that was aluminum with a wave design in the shape of an "S", opening and walking into the warmest atmosphere of a kitchen I have ever, and will ever know. The counters wrapping along one side in the shape of an L with a table big enough to sit 12 people. Mom being in her early 30’s and I was the last of eight children as I look up and she smiles with words of love “your favorite peanut butter and banana”. I knew it! Sitting and watching mom clean up and hearing my brother coming down the stairs to have lunch as well. As all siblings he would tease me as he walked by, you know just touching me was enough to get me going. The love I felt for him was deep and forever.

Mom being the women of new age: meaning she was a working mother being top dealer for Tupperware, mom strived to balance both family and work and she did the best job she knew how. Being age of five you have the image of what life is by your surroundings and the creations around me were the best of what I could ever dream of. It was Friday and was unusual to have mom home she was always very busy, and Fridays was the popular day for her customers to have Tupperware parties. After finishing lunch mom said ok time to make sure your rooms are clean and then back outside to find something to do.

After finishing my cleaning, I walked out the back door and Tippy our Black Lab was waiting to join in whatever adventure was around the corner, with his tail wagging “come on Tippy let’s go to the stream and see what is happening. As I duck under the fence Tippy right by my side for fun and protection, we enjoy our 100-yard walk to the stream. Tippy bonded with all the family and was very protective of the children. Remembering, one day last winter we were in the front yard and mom was in the house and as I headed toward the road all a sudden, I was crying and screaming for mom. Running out the front door mom with a big smile as she meets my eyes said, “were you going towards the road?” Through my tears I said “yes”. Tippy had stepped in front of me and pushed me into a snowbank to stop me from wondering onto the road. Sadly, towards the end of that summer Tippy had an accident with a car and did not survive. He would always be remembered as a big part of the family.

Tippy and I approached the stream where my brother was fishing. As I walked towards him, I kept quite looking at the stream and seeing the sun reflecting off the water as the steam ran south bubbling over the rocks with a cool breeze coming off the mist of water. Scott turned looked at me saying “you have to be quite for the fish, or they will hear you and not bit the worm I have on the hook”. “Ok” I replied, Tippy and I sat just slightly off to the side in the thick deep green grass. Looking at my brother fishing gave me a secure feeling that there was nothing could touch or hurt me. 

Sitting with warmth in my heart provided the starting of my foundation and being part of God's world and realizing how my part in this world would make a lasting impression. God has provided to me lessons that would stay with me for a lifetime. 

My Great Grandmother - Grandma Church, that summer was a big part of my life lessons and when she would spend time looking after us this would be when mom had to work, and our other grandmothers were not available these were the best and lasting moments. Great Grandma Church was a noble woman that stood with her shoulders back and her head held high with the gentlest eyes and words of encouragement. The first week of summer vacation was memorable and impactful. Grandma Church loved her God and always when an opportunity presented itself, she would talk about who God was and how he has a plan for all of us. 

Remembering back, she prepared 12 loaves of bread 12 dozen cookies and 12 jars of jam. All of this was to be a part of looking back to see the impact of God's lessons. She then prepared 12 bags and, in each bag, placed the items she baked along with 2 pairs of knitted slippers, in each bag a personal note with a Bible. I never did know what the note said but now I think something like this "God is always present, and when you think there is no way forward, he will provide the way'. The reason I felt this was the saying on the note would become clear in the next few hours as she finished each bag, she gathered all of them and placed them in the car, Grandma Church then called out "ok Valerie it is time to go". Where were we going, I thought?

The first stop was a neighbor very close. She grabbed one of the bags and as we walked to the front door, she set the bag down on the front step and gave a gentle knock on the door and we walked back to the car. As we drove away a female from the house opened the door, saw the bag looked inside and smiled, waving at Grandma Church and went back inside. In that moment, my heart filled with joy, love and without knowing it I had just witnessed God's work with a quiet, loving, and lasting joy attached with it. That afternoon we delivered the rest of the bags and with each delivery Grandma Church would say a prayer as we drove away asking God to keep them safe and to provide them the wisdom of his word. 

They say you do not remember things as a young toddler, but I can attest to "we do remember" and to hold those memories close to our soul and lean on them when we have life challenges.

This is a Life Moment to Remember!

June 19, 2021 22:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Okey Boy
03:25 Jun 27, 2021

An enjoyable and refreshing read. Though you could do well with better punctuations and paragraphing.

Reply

Valerie Shook
03:49 Jun 27, 2021

Thank you for the feedback being new to this I am ready to learn of others that have been writing and hope to gain their knowledge and guidance to improve. I am taking an online course for just that punctuation and grammar. I will look for one to include the paragraphing.

Reply

Okey Boy
04:01 Jun 27, 2021

Yeah. We all are learning. I'm also having those issues. Cheers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.