2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

It was still there everything has changed but this....

Mara had been back in the city for two days now and she noticed how much had changed , shops had turned into malls and malls had turned into bigger malls, parks had been destroyed and the forest had been cut , places where once stood her dear memories now were changed into big complexes and what-not , there wasn't a single place of comfort , the town had transformed into a city and there were people everywhere, the sound of birds chirping peacefully had transformed to the loud honking of cars and huge vehicles..

She felt a stranger in the town she grew up , she recognized no one and felt strangely uncomfortable , she wanted to leave , she wanted to go back home , but then she was home.

Even though Mara had been in town for two days she couldn't bring herself to go back to the house in which she lived all her teenage life. She had passed by it once to see if it had been destroyed but it was there , nothing had changed , but she couldn't go inside , she didn't know why but she couldn't .She knew she needs to go inside but how much ever she tries she just couldn't, she just stared at the house and left but today she would go inside..

It had been twenty years , twenty years and the spot hadn't changed , twenty years had passed by without her stepping foot in this town. As Mara stared up at the dark sky free of clouds stars gazing at her , memories flood back to her mind , and a tear slips down.It wasn't bad living here it was nice , she moved here when she was in seventh grade , she missed her old town , her friends and her old school but she was determined to make the best of this new place it was much bigger than her old town , but bigger isn't always better ..

Memories , memories and memories , it was all she had in her mind as she entered her old house , the new owner had happily let her inside as she thought Mara wanted to rent the house , the owner had said no one had rented this house since she bought it five years ago . she entered each room and her face was emotionless , finally when she enter her old room , a room that was just that a room , she stared at the place where once her dark brown wooden desk was place and looked at the wall , she saw something , something she had written , her name weird.

she left the room and climbed the terrace the place where she felt that she was home , none of the other rooms had given her that pleasure. she sat on the spot she where she had lest so much of memories twenty years ago , she felt completely , truly utterly home, and it was a pleasant feeling...

She sat on the washing rock which looked like it hadn't been used for years ad hugged her knees , another tear slipped down , she could still remember all the memories she had connected to this exact spot .

It was a windy evening , 13 year old Mara had always felt alone and lonely , she had no one she could completely trust but she had a promise a promise she made to herself , she remembered that day as if it was only minutes ago.She imagined herself as a kid again , her short black hair tied into a pony , her favorite Garfield shirt and Hugsy pant, a smile on her face as soon as she sat on the rock , where she hugged her knees and remembered the day, she sometimes cried there , she sung there and danced there it was a place where nobody judged her, it was a place where Mara was Mara. Suddenly a memory popped inside her and her heart grew heavier her shoulders stiffened and the smile turned bigger and happier, tears poured down as she recalled....

It was a Tuesday, Mara was a different kid , she was way wiser than her age, but nobody acknowledged her , her own parents were very busy and couldn't involve themselves in her lives as much as they wanted to , Mara was smart and talented and kind she had lots of friends and cousins who she could count on , but she always felt lonely and alone, she had a huge spirit , she was wild but she couldn't show her wild side because of restrictions and boundaries , she missed out a lot in her teenage years and all the others were fine with it her friends were fine with it , because they had settled in that way of life , but Mara there was always a part missing , and that missing part created a hollow , a void a muse of it's own and she couldn't live with it but she had to , she had no other choice , nobody understood her, she was queer to and one day she crept up to the terrace and sat on this exact stone and talked to the trees around her , they listened to her and though she had so many other human friends that terrace , that rock and those trees made here feel way less and alone and she finally found a place where she belonged , she was happy and although the missing piece was never filled she felt home and that feeling was so comforting , one day as Mara climbed up the terrace and sat on the rock she promised herself that she would get out of this small town and make a difference in this world , she would make up for all those lost years where she had to keep her spirit contained , she cried and promised to herself that she would come back after ten or twenty years , happy with all her dreams fulfilled and no regrets she promised ....

Mara was smiling and tears of joy were climbing down her cheeks . She had fulfilled the promise , she was happy and she had no regrets , she was who she wanted to be , she was Mara ....

THE END

July 22, 2020 17:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Batool Hussain
17:22 Jul 22, 2020

This is wonderful! Mind checking out my new story and sharing your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

Liya Mariyam
07:03 Jul 23, 2020

thank you , sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.