Will I Ever Be Content?

Submitted into Contest #163 in response to: Write a story in which someone says “You'll never be content.”... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Creative Nonfiction High School

This story contains sensitive content

Will I Ever be Content?

I wake up with my head in agonizing pain. Once I get the motivation to get up, I prepare for today. Today is not an ordinary day. Today is court day. Today is the day I establish who I go with. Once we get ready, we get into the car. We are on our way unt-CRASH!! I blackout, losing sense of my body. I wake up in the hospital, and everyone looks at me in shock. I was in a coma but not for a few weeks but 23 MONTHS!? My mom said to me, "OH MY GOD, SWEETIE, ARE YOU OK? DOES YOUR HEAD HURT!".

Everyone rushed up to me and started talking, and I couldn't keep track of whose voice was whose. The nurse came in a few minutes later and cleared everyone out of the room. The nurse asked me how I felt and if I was lightheaded. I replied to her question," My head feels OK," with a smile. Then I proceeded to get up, but the second my body got up, I immediately fell to the ground with a thud. Once again, I blacked out. I woke up a few hours later. She informed me that my legs had lost support and were paralyzed. "I will send you to a trainer to help with your legs," she said. I was in shock. I felt like all my words were being blocked off, like I couldn't speak. The nurse gave me a bottle of water and left the room. I sat up and drank the water bottle. A year has passed by, and I'm still training my legs. "Good job! Keep up the work.", my trainer said.

As I smiled back, my smile faded away as I saw my ex. I questioned in my head what she was doing here, but my answer came quicker than I expected. As I saw her walking closer, I realized she was holding something. A bouquet of roses?! Who were those for? Had she gotten them for me?! She approached me, saying "I am sorry for everything, and it would make my world if you forgave me.". I looked at her in shock, wanting to say no, but I saw that she had pity in her eyes, so I accepted. She jumped up and down in excitement, kissed me on my cheek, and handed me the roses. I smiled, and she waved goodbye. I waved back until I realized she had dropped a paper. I assumed it was necessary, so I got my crutches and picked myself up. I was halfway when I saw she was on a call, and I got closer to listen to the conversation. "He fell for it hook, line and sinker. He is so gullible. I'm dying on how easy he is to fool. He will never be consent.". I let those words sink into me. "Never be consent? Didn't she love me? I saw the pity in her eyes, though?".

All those thoughts swirled in my mind making me faint. The next thing I knew, I woke up in my room, confused but sad. "Why did she trick me? Does she not care about me? Why would she do that?". I kept thinking until I was alarmed by the closing door. I looked to my left to see the nurse. "Luckily, you did not injure yourself, but what happened? Once I saw you passing out, I saw a girl running away." That was my ex, I replied. "Your right ex?". Looking at me in confusion. "Yes, my ex. She brought me a bouquet of roses, but when I went up to her after she left a paper, I saw she was on the phone with someone saying that I was too gullible and will never be content in life.". The nurse looked at me with a sad face "I'm so sorry" I replied saying "It's not your fault it's not mine either but her's.". She looked at me again and turned away, "I'll go get your trainer right away, and she left the room.". 2 months later I have fully recovered and am at home. Mom says she will enroll me in a new school. Next week I'm in my new school.

As I walked into my first class, a girl with hair dyed a beautiful blue came up to me. "Hi!". "Are you new?". She looks at me with a happy face. "Um..yea, I am," I said nervously. "If you want, you can sit next to me," she said with a smile on her face. It's been 4 weeks, and we have become inseparable. We enjoy each other and hang out 24/7. I've been having a crush on her with her beautiful ocean blue eyes and pink rose lips. One day everything came crashing down. My sister got into an accident! I rushed to the hospital as fast as I could. Once I got to the hospital, the nurse told me to wait in the waiting room. I begin panicking in my head. "What could have happened, what could have happened" Once I heard the nurse call me, I got to the room as fast as I could. Once I saw my sister I rushed to her. "ARE YOU OK?!". "I'm good, bro" I always see a little smile on her face no matter how bad the situation but not this time her face was badly scratched up with bandages everywhere. I started crying and holding her hand. "Tell mom and everyone that I love them," with a faint smile on her face as she slowly closes her eyes. "SIS YOU CAN MAKE IT! DONT GIVE UP, STAY AWAKE LONGER!" I yell "PLEASE, I NEED YOU, SIS!". I turn to look at the monitor. It goes flat. "NO PLEASE NO!" I begin to cry hard, not knowing what to do. The nurses come in, taking me away while I struggle to break free. My ex was right. I will never be consent.

I stay in my room for weeks, refusing to eat or leave until I hear a gentle knock on the door. "Hey…can I come in..?" It was her... The girl. I unlock the door and see her standing there with a worried look on her face. She gives me a hug, and I start to cry in her arms. "I NEEDED HER!". She holds me tighter. "It's OK I'm here. Let's go into your room." I sniffle and nod my head wiping my tears. We talked, and soon I felt better. "Don't worry, dude, she will always be with you.", with a smile on her face. Before she leaves, she kisses me on my cheek and says, "Take care of yourself. I'll see you at school.", with a faint smile. She leaves, and I leave my room to eat.

In a few days, I felt slightly better, plus I had her by my side whenever I needed her. My feelings for her got stronger until one day, I went up to her and said, "Would you like to be my girlfriend..?" She looked at me with a shocked face. "Oh no, she is going to reject me I knew this was a bad idea," I said in my head. Just as I was about to leave, she said, "Yes, I would love to," with a sincere face and her beautiful soft smile. I give her a kiss on her cheek and walked away. With my face all red, I looked like a human tomato. Soon we started dating and talked nonstop. How did my life come up to this? It felt like it came out of a movie. I felt so happy I loved her, and everything was going well. I hope my life always has her in it. Will my life always be this consent? Or will it come crashing down again?

September 16, 2022 20:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Carl Tengstrom
14:28 Sep 20, 2022

Thank you for this story. It was well-written and engaging. I liked the plot, even if part of it was in the hospital. It was good that he never gave up. The story was never dull and boring.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.