A Very Old Christmas Carol – A Holiday Tale

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional holiday tradition.... view prompt

3 comments

Christmas Happy Kids

On the days leading up to Christmas, Lily, a sweet little ten-year-old girl, was sad. Though she ate and though she played, something was missing. That something was her beloved dog, Chimney. She loved Chimney. They were inseparable. That was until Chimney fell ill earlier that year and passed away at the age of two. Chimney’s third birthday would’ve been on Christmas Day.

As a way to try and lift her spirit, Lily’s parents bought her a stuffed animal that looked just like Chimney. It had smooth brown fur, dark eyes, ears that flopped, and a tail that pointed. Lily smiled when she received the gift. She knew her parents meant well, and to her surprise, it really did look just like Chimney. But there would be plenty of mornings when Lily’s mother would walk into her room and find that the stuffed animal had been thrown across the room and was lying on the floor. Lily’s mother would only walk over, pick up the stuffed animal, and place it back between Lily’s sleeping arms.

***

Christmas Eve had arrived, and Lily was watching TV in the living room when the doorbell rang. She perked up and thought, it was only six o’clock. Too early for Santa, and I know he comes down the Chimney. Who could this be? The doorbell rang again. Lily shuffled off the couch that sat before a fireplace in a beautiful two-story brick townhome. She paced the hallway in her wool, festive socks. She reached the door, unlocked the deadbolt, and opened it. An older lady, maybe seventy or so, with long gray hair that reached her waist, turned to Lily. She wore a Romani-laced style dark-green gypsy dress with a coat for warmth. You could hear her bracelets and necklaces tapping against each other like jingling bells.

“Grandma!” Lily yelled in pure excitement and joy. Her eyes were wide, and her smile even wider. Lily jumped and wrapped her arms around her grandmother and the gifts she was holding.

“Well, hey there, little miss Lily, Merry Christmas to you,” the grandmother said as she almost stumbled backward.

“I didn’t know you were coming, Grandma!”

The grandmother smiled and said, “I figured I’d surprise you, little one. Now move over. It’s freezing out here.”

Lily stepped aside. At this moment, Lily’s mother came out from the kitchen. The smell of a turkey being cooked followed her.

“Mother, welcome. I’m delighted you could make it safely,” Lily’s mom said as she grabbed the gifts from the grandmother.

“Where is your husband, dear? He never greets me like you and Lily do,” the grandmother said as she removed her coat and placed it on the hall tree.

“He’s upstairs on the phone with his brother, Mother. He will be down soon.”

The grandmother walked over to the fireplace to get warm. Lily had come over and sat back on the couch again.

“Dinner will be ready soon,” Lily’s mother called as she disappeared down the hallway.

The grandmother looked at the family photos that lay across the fireplace mantel and noticed there was someone in the pictures that hadn’t yet greeted her, and no, it wasn’t the husband, but someone with a lot of fur and four legs. She turned to Lily. “Where’s your dog, Lily?”

“Chimney passed away earlier this year. He got sick, and mommy and daddy had to have him put down.” Lily’s face saddened.

“Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that, little miss Lily. I really am.”

“He would’ve been three tomorrow,” Lily said with her head down.

“What has your mother done about it,” the grandmother asked.

“They gave me this stuffed animal. It looks just like Chimney, but it still isn’t the same, but I appreciate them trying for me. I do.”

Lily held up the stuffed animal and then placed it beside her on the couch.

“You’re a sweet little girl, Lily. I hope you know that. You didn’t deserve to lose your pet.”

Lily’s mother suddenly called out, “Dinners ready.”

Movement from upstairs could be heard.

“Yea, your father only comes when there is food ready and not to greet me,” the grandmother said as she left the living room. Lily giggled through her saddened face.

***

After dinner, a little TV, and family time, Lily went to bed. Her father had done the same, and Lily’s mom and her grandmother sat in the living room by the fire talking.

“What has Santa brought her for Christmas, dear?” The grandmother asked.

“A little pink jeep and more play toys than any other kid on this street,” the mother replied.

The grandmother sat down and placed the stuffed animal that looked like Chimney on her lap.

“Where’d you get that?” Lily’s mother asked.

“She left it down here, and for a good reason. A stuffed animal will never be the same as the real one. I tried that with you, and my mother tried it with me,” the grandmother replied.

She reached beside her chair and removed an old leatherbound book from her bag.

“Mother, don’t you even think about it.” Lily’s mother said, astonished at the sight of the book.

The grandmother laughed and said, “Oh, quiet down. You know it’s an old family tradition. Every generation has done it and will do it, and it seems your time has come.”

“I won’t. Lily must understand that life is fragile and that you don’t have a second chance,” Lily’s mother responded.

The grandmother looked up and said, “Do you remember when you heard the scratching at the back door? When you were just a kid? And when you opened the back door on Christmas day, your old dog, Rufus, was just as alive as he’d ever been. Remember the joy that brought then and for years to come?”

Lily’s mother looked back at the fireplace.

“Your daughter deserves more than just the pink jeep and those cheap play toys. She deserves her dog. Now come sit beside me. Let us sing an old Christmas carol, shall we?”

Lily’s mother’s gaze fell upon the family photos. She saw a picture of Lily and Chimney. Lily looked so happy and full of life. Her mother was right; she deserved this, and being able to be a part of such an old, strange, and unconventional Christmas tradition, well, it should not be taken for granted. So Lily’s mother sighed, knelt comfortably beside the grandmother, and said, “alright.”

The grandmother smiled as she opened the large leatherbound book. The fire grew a few inches, and the temperature rose a few more degrees. It was as if the room was awoken by the presence of a real Christmas spirit. They placed their hands on the stuffed animal and began to sing softly.

It began with a hum to get in tune and in rhythm. Soon the room was filled with the words of a very old Christmas carol. The words carried gently throughout the hallways and into the kitchen, the office, the laundry room, and all the rooms on the first floor. Then the words carried gently up the stairs like a deer frolicking through the snow to dance between all the rooms on the second floor. In Lily’s room, the words gently glided around the ceiling. She didn’t move. She didn’t stir. She only slept soundly as the lullaby slowly faded. Later that night, Lily’s mother placed the stuffed animal between Lily’s sleeping arms, smiled, and left the room.

***

The following morning, trapped between a dream and the waking world, Lily wiped her face quickly. She could’ve sworn something had just licked her face. Then again, a big lick right across her face. She wiped at her face again, and this time, her hand was wet. It was not a dream.

“Eww,” Lily said. She opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry at first but soon cleared.

“Chimney!”

Chimney began wagging his tail so hard that his butt moved with it. He jumped with joy and began licking without holding back. Lily started to cry from joy and hugged him. Chimney then leaned over into her, and she began petting his belly. “Chimney! You’re alive! Chimney, I love you! I missed you!”

“Don’t forget to wish him a Happy Birthday,” her grandmother said as she walked in.

“What, but how, but why, but how,” Lily stuttered.

“Shush now, little miss Lily, It’s just that the Christmas spirit came around in full force this year and brought you back your Chimney.”

Lily cried as she held Chimney. She couldn’t stop hugging him and petting his belly. Chimney enjoyed this moment just as much as Lily did.

Downstairs, Lily’s father sat drinking a cup of coffee. He heard the commotion upstairs. He also knew exactly what had happened. He turned and looked at Lily’s mother. He knew her family’s secret, her family’s old tradition. He shook his head, unamused, yet with a grin. Lily’s mother laughed, held her cup of coffee in the air, winked, and said, “Merry Christmas!”

THE END

December 30, 2022 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

J.C. Vayda
22:33 Jul 26, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to view and or read my story. I hope everyone is doing well. I wrote this story to give someone a great Christmas morning.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
06:46 Jan 06, 2023

Sweet story, and what a surprise ending!

Reply

J.C. Vayda
10:16 Jan 11, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.