0 comments

Adventure Fiction

I was speeding down the hill. I could feel the wind in my hair, my face prickled by the cold. I felt dangerous, I felt fantastic. I felt alive. but of course, that feeling cannot last forever, as much as you may try. I wish I could have this feeling every day, for hours and hours, but alas, this is not the way things can be forever and ever. I absolutely loved to ski, as most of my friends did. Before, that is, I broke my leg doing it. My name is Wendy, and this is the story of how I did exactly that.

I was skiing, as I told you, down the biggest hill in the state. Took all morning to get there, but very worth the drive it took me. I had been skiing on this hill since I moved up here four years ago. I used to live in a warm environment or otherwise known as living in Kansas. I live in a cold environment now or known as living in North Carolina. Big move, I know. The original plan was New York, believe it or not. But I found a much better house here.

I absolutely loved skiing. I did this with my friends the first time. I was really good at it. My friends even said so, although they were falling over. I could just go down the hill and come back out. But I actually really enjoyed skiing, which surprised me thouroughly. I loved to take off and enjoy the prickly cold and wind. I adored having fun doing this and enjoying finding new friends on the hill who understood the love to ski as I do.

I got to know the people who worked there and I soon became a regular. After the people who worked there realized how good I was, everyone pitched in to teach me all they knew. I learned everything about how skiing worked from how to start even on a flat surface. I bought my own equipment and was very happy to continue. However, they taught me all they knew and I was extremely happy I became so good. I never had pictured myself so good or experienced at skiing.

At any rate, there I was, skiing way up there, skiing away nice and happy when all of a sudden, a person picks up and moves into the middle of the skiing path I was going in. I tried to shout, scream, and even stop. But this person was not going to move. There were tricky people like this here all the time, but none as stubborn as this person was being. So I picked up and went around them.

I skied a few times more when out of nowhere, the same person moves into my path again. It wasn't even the same path I originally chose I didn't even care to talk with this person anymore, and not just out of spite. I went around them and knew that there was only one other option at that point, and that was to get into the private skiing lane, even though most of the time I didn't get in it. Usually, there were a lot of people. That or there was little snow on the path from people asking down it.

Now at this specific hill, there was a waiting line to go down the hill and it was blocked off. Some of them in the area do not. Others can have only lanes of skiing. Those are really strict, as you cannot ski on any other part of the hill. I've tried them. There aren't any trees on the path and the snow can be light at times of people have been on them a lot. Yet, after a good snow, it can be the best skiing path. It wasn't a very long line, so I popped into line, and eventually, I ended up skiing part of the path.

Now, let me tell you, I didn't expect anyone to jump over the roped-off area. Mostly because of the rule that says you cannot do that, however mostly because no one ever had. But that miserable person was just wanting to pick me off or something because the next thing you know, they jumped the area and boom. I crashed right into them, as I had no space to stop. I tried to jump, but it was too late for that even. I knew it too, as we both fell to the ground in some amount of pain.

We ended up having to be carried into the cabin at the top of the hill. I had lodged a ski into my shin and the other person was bleeding from their head. I, on the other hand, had a bad cut on my leg. I cried when I was told this meant no more skiing for me. I was devastated. The only thing that I loved, revoked from me because my leg was cut terribly. Luckily, the other person did not sue me. Unfortunately, they did laugh at me unconditionally. The worst of all was the events of the day. They even told me that they were trying to get me injured.

Apparently, they knew I came here every Saturday to ski. They just wanted attention, I knew it from their evil grin. They got sent home that day. I know that I should be more concerned about my leg and getting better, but in all honesty, I was concerned I was going to be spied on again. Frankly, at the moment I felt honored to be spied on. Once that moment passed, I felt creeped out that a stranger watched me without my permission.

It may not be the best story you have ever heard, but that is what happened that day. That is exactly how my leg was broken and why I have stopped skiing for the time being. I think of it as my own little adventure I took. It may not be exciting to you, but to me, it is an absolute thrill.

January 17, 2022 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.