2 comments

Fiction

“... walking down the runway, she unzipped and dropped her flowing black cape to expose her outfit, a vinyl, deep red asymmetrical top over a white long dress- she looked like a wet, used tampon!” 

The girls almost spit out their drinks laughing at Hannah's story of a runway look gone wrong.  All three women were doing their best to ignore the celebrities and glamorous fashion elite at the NY Fashion Week event happening just on the other side of the velvet ropes at the restaurant. Not able to score a ticket,  they were having their own party.

“No one said a thing to the designer, how could we tell him!” Hannah said. Wearing an Alexander McQueen violet-purple dress with large white flowers and white Balenciaga boots, Ravi was impressed how perfectly the  dress matched Hannah’s buzzed and dyed hair.  

 Tina drank the last of her martini and waved to the bartender to get another round.  With her brunette updo, droop shouldered, and lean with no chin, her outfit of a long sleeve top and pants from Givenchy, with Duffryn 11s all in monochromatic yellow made Ravi think of a #2 pencil. 

“Let me tell you my worst runway story.” Tina started. Her voice changed to a vocal fry, so Ravi knew this was serious.  Ravi had met Tina briefly at a previous industry event, and with so much in common invited her out.  Ravi had just met Hannah, Tina had seen her before and invited her to join. All were vague about their actual jobs, which Ravi took to mean they were low level assistants like her.

“My worst experience at last spring, at NY Fashion Week.” Tina continued. “I haven't told this story before. Do you remember what happened at the Eckhaus Latta show last year?”  Ravi glanced quickly at Tina, before turning away, “No, what happened?”

 Hannah tilted her purple-tinged head like she hadn’t either.

Tina continued.  “I was finishing tailoring the models before they left for the runway. Well, one of the girls, I remember the dress perfectly,  from this young Indian woman designer, Shravya.  It was yellow, with a thing here, she pointed to her shoulder, and here, she pointed to her waist, but it was coming apart! The dress was coming undone and needed major work. You believe me right?  And this designer was such a drama queen, and was freaking-out and screaming at another model because she couldn’t get her dress on.  

The model was scared of the designer, and I didn’t want the attention, so I decided to fix it. I thought it looked like it did before, and, well I ended up re-stitching the whole design.   I knew it was bad when I heard gasps from the runway.  I looked out from the back and the Three Anns' were pointing and laughing!”  Ravi’s fists were clenched in anger.

“They were just ridiculing the outfit!” Tina shook her head.  “Who do they think they are! They are only in their 20’s- The same age as us, basically!  You've seen them right? They have those ridiculous costumes, each one in oversized glasses and bobbed wigs, Ann, in silver, Anna in blue and Annie in white. Because they have a gazillion instagram followers, they get to decide what looks good or not!  I bet they don't even know fashion!” Ravi noticed Hannah looking away, maybe she knew what was coming next. 

“Once the designer saw their reaction, she lost her mind!  She jumped up on the runway to the model in her yellow dress and proceeded to rip all my stitches out yelling ‘who did this!’ and ‘who pissed on my dress!’, over and over again.  Until the poor model was standing on the runway with yellow rags around her ankles and nothing else!  I heard the designer was fired that day, and even left the country!  And that was my last time at a runway show.  The Anns’ got a lot of publicity for it,  Screw them!” 

A group of well dressed fashion executives intercepted the waiter with the ordered martinis and took them over the waiter's protestations.  He looked at their table and just shrugged. 

Tina finally looked over at the fashion industry VIP party.  “Damn,  just because we’re not ‘with’ anyone, we're treated like trash even here.”

“Well I will get a chance on Sunday to have a bad runway story."

Ravi said.  

“Very exciting, I am looking forward to helping.”  Tina said.

 “So great,” Hannah said.  "What show?” 

“Oh it is just a show for Women of Color at a small gallery on 7th. There is no one going to be there, which is probably best.”    A nondescript small woman with dark straight hair, Ravi would have blended into the scenery, except for her vibrant pink baggy parachute pants, blue top and a red sport jacket. At the high bar stool she slipped her Steve Maddens on and off nervously. 

 “Tina you are still coming with me right? I wish I could get in front of the Three Anns' -they would be blown away!”  The women laugh and clink their empty glasses.

“Hannah asked, what would you do if you could get your designs at a big show, like the Gallery at Spring Studios?”

Ravi laughed. “Ha, in my dreams!  I am just a wanna-be, sketching on napkins and sewing in my bedroom. I love fashion because it can both expose, and hide. Reality can be altered by the designer. I just moved back from uh, out of New York- a few months ago.   I lucked out to get this little chance. I'm doing it to be close to the industry, but in a real show? In front of the Anns'? I do not do well in stressful situations…”

“Come on Ravi,” Tina said, “show her what you got.” 

Ravi pulled her phone out and she flipped through pictures of designs for Hannah- dresses, jackets and shirts and pants.  

“Your pieces are amazing!  Your designs are vibrant, creative and well constructed.  And what you are wearing now- this is all yours?”

Ravi nodded. “I have been sewing my own clothes since I was little, with my grandmother.  I always thought of it as just a hobby, something to keep my hands busy. Growing up as an immigrant here, I didn't have hope for anything better.  But to see my designs on a runway, in front of the real fashion industry, oh that is beyond... Do you think it is possible, or is it only martini dreams?" She holds up her glass.

“Most designers now rely on celebrities to get people like the Anns’ to post about them. And, did you know less than 15% of the top 50 major fashion brands are run by women?”  Hannah said. “The industry needs young woman designers  like you- so many designs now are derivative. Ripping some holes in a pair of jeans and calling it ‘streetwear’-”

“-I have seen some ridiculous dresses with no arms, just a tube, made the model look like a lamp shade, or wearing an upside-down umbrella.  Tina said. “Some of these runway shows with unwearable clothes should be seen as an art exhibit for bad taste and lousy needle work. But how can you get Ravi at a big show?”

“It would be perfect if the Anns’ were there-” Ravi said. 

“-I have a guy.” Hannah said “He is over there, and he owes me. He does the scheduling.” She points to a crowd of men.  

“Who?” Ravi said, “-What did you do for him? ”

“I helped him with a job,” Hannah smiled.   “He can get you on stage to put your designs on real models on a real runway> Are you up for it Ravi?” Ravi looked overwhelmed as she twisted her martini glass, “Okay.”

I’m in too!”  Tina said.

“Great! Let's do it on Saturday- that gives you 48 hours, and you already have designs ready right? Let's go talk to Joel.” 

Hannah called  out to a tall, lean black man who came out and leaned over the velvet rope.  Wearing a tilted pork pie hat and a wrinkled cotton sport coat, a loose, fat Windsor knotted his wide tie.   His baggy jeans, ripped just so,  were low on his narrow hips, and he was wearing Louboutin loafers with no socks.   At this TRESemme party at NY Fashion week, his disregard for aesthetics was an aesthetic all by itself.  

“Joel,” Hannah said, “I need your help to add Ravi here to the show at the Gallery on Saturday.” 

Joel looked at Hannah briefly then at Tina and Ravi.  

“Ok, why?”

“This young woman has a passion for design, and she should get a chance,  talent just needs room to grow, and it will flower.”

And Joel smiled big, “Anything for Hannah.  And, girl,” he pointed at Ravi, “your designs better be good!”

Saturday morning, they met Joel at the Gallery. 

“Are you OK with this?” Ravi asked, “putting me, someone with no name,  on the big stage? 

“I see the Fashion houses run the same looks, the same designers year after year.  I like the new energy.  Design is supposed to be exciting, without a net.  Just don’t fall off! ” 

Joel walked Ravi and Tina to the back.  “You’re up in 2 hours,  after them, '' he pointed to another group. He looked out into the audience, “looks like the show is running late, only two of the Anns are here. Good luck!” 

Tina went to find the models and they got to work dressing them.  

“The dress does not fit!” Ravi’s hands were shaking with stress, the impact of the high stakes was getting to her, and bad memories flooded her thoughts.   One of the dresses just did not fit the model, Rachel, a taller model then Ravi’s mannequin, with wider shoulders.   

“It just doesn’t fit!”

“Two minutes!”  Shouts the stage manager. 

“It is holding up on her shoulders-” Tina said

Ravi turned to Tina- “it would fit you, can you be my model?”  

Tina said “No way!” 

“Come on, you are tall, and gorgeous. You’ll be perfect- just try it on.” Ravi pleaded.

Ravi knew how to get to Tina, she was not used to getting positive compliments on her appearance.  “OK”, and doffing her outfit, Tina slipped on the tight sheath of a dress, it fell into place on Tina’s body like it was designed for her.  

“There- see perfect fit”

Tina’s eyes got big and she looked at Ravi, "I don’t know- ”

The stage manager yelled for the models to get in the line.  Ravi’s other dresses were ready and on their models. 

“We don’t have time- You are perfect, it is just walking, how hard can it be?  Let me do one last thing” Ravi said, working on the back of the dress. 

Tina tried to see behind her, “What did you do, it feels weird-?” 

“Face forward!  One adjustment-” Ravi quickly finished the alteration to Tina’s dress.

The line of models were ready , and Ravi watched from the wings while the cameras flashed and saw the Three Anns’ front and center. 

The models ahead of Ravi’s designs were getting ignored by the Three Anns’ who were chatting with nearby celebrities and drinking champagne.

“Damn, they aren’t even paying attention.”

Ravi‘s designs were different and everyone noticed. Her Indian heritage came out in her dresses, an amazing combination of high fashion and Indian fabrics and patterns.  Each dress had elaborate and vibrant fabric, the unique cuts and drape of the fabric swung and cascaded down the runway like the colors of spring in the breeze.  The perfect tailoring followed the long strides of the models, twirling in a swirl and sweep of grandeur and glory. For Ravi, time stood still as she saw her visions, once just sketches on a notepad physically manifest on the runway.  The flashes of the cameras, the sparkle of the jewels liberally decorating the attendees,  all glittering like a mystical fantasy, and then Tina walked out. 

Everyone stopped talking, watching Tina do a poor imitation of a model, then as she turned the laughter grew, with shouts of ‘love your Grannys!’  until she noticed and finally just stopped,  her eyes wide, an animal caught in headlights. The Anns’ phones were up and capturing the moment. Tina looked at the back of her dress, pulling the fabric to see her butt entirely exposed and her beige full underwear on display. 

And then it was over, and Tina was in tears looking for Ravi.  “Where is she!” 

The stage manager walked up, “Are you Tina? She left this for you.”

Watch out, bad sewing makes you show your ass. 

Shravya

(Ravi)

_________

After the show the three Anns’ were in the back of their ride, a black suburban headed to the after-party.

“What was that?    Anna asked, her blue wig twisting as she turned toward her friend. “Did you have something to do with it?  The Indian designer was good- until the end!”

Ann smiled and pulled her silver wig off, and rubbed her purple-tinged hair.

“Yes, but I don’t know what happened? That model is never going to live this down!” 

“Hmmf- you are a damned fool. That is what you get for always sneaking in rookies. Stupid “ Annie said and looked back at her phone.

“I thought you picked a good one this time Han. You know I love drama!”   Joel said from the driver's seat of the large SUV, slowly pulling into the VIP valet line at the party. 

May 13, 2022 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sharon Hancock
02:30 May 20, 2022

Oh wow! Don’t mess with designers, huh? 😂 I enjoyed the fashion imagery and the snarky comments/relationships. It reads almost like sci-fi fantasy…as if designers and models etc live in a different world. Great story!😻

Reply

Marty B
23:31 May 20, 2022

Thanks for reading! Yes it could be Sci-Fi with how ridiculous that world is!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.