4 comments

Fantasy Fiction Science Fiction

“Antony! You have to come to my house! Now! Please!” Robin yelled. For the first time in my life, I heard a dash of fear in his voice. “Robin? Are you alright?” I asked, concerned. “Just get over here!” he snapped, and hung up. I got up and hesitantly twisted the doorknob, but stopped. My parents wouldn’t let me go. People have been going missing in my neighbourhood and mom and dad have been very overprotective lately. I opened my window and jumped out. Trying to be very stealthy, I tip-toed to the garage and got my bike. I quietly walked till the road, and started pedalling faster than ever. I had to get back before my parents noticed I’m gone. The sun shined in the bright blue sky, lush green plants and flower blossoms covered the parks, yet the whole area was empty. Not a single kid playing, not one lemonade stand. Everybody were locked inside their homes, fearing the kidnapper. I reached Robin’s home and knocked on the door. He pulled me inside and rushed me to his room. His face was ashen and his forehead was sweaty. His breathing was bursting in and out, I had never seen him in a state like this. “Thank God you made it. I was so worried.” He said, panting. I couldn’t stand one more moment without knowing what happened. “What’s wrong?” I yelled. “The missing people! I know where they are! Aliens have abducted them!” he yelled. I sat there with a perplexed look on my face. “Aliens?” I said. “Yes! Aliens” he yelled. He was serious. His body shook every time he said the word ‘Aliens’. He was serious. I was so frustrated. I sighed. “Look bro, I snuck out of the house and put everything at risk just to see you, and you say children are being kidnapped by aliens?”

“Look, I know it sounds crazy but you have to believe me”

“That’s it. I’m going home,” I said, and barged out the door.

He grabbed my hand and forbid me to leave. He said it isn’t ‘safe’ out there. “Please. Just listen for 2 minutes” he pleaded. “Fine. You have 5 minutes,”. “Yesterday evening Donald told me something just like this. He said Rhydian told him about the aliens, but he didn’t believe Rhydian. And that night Donald said he saw Rhydian getting kidnapped by aliens. Of course, I didn’t believe him at first, but then last night, I saw Donald getting kidnapped by aliens! Look, I think it’s like a chain. One person gets to know about aliens, he tells somebody, he gets kidnapped, and the person he told is the next victim! Rhydian told Donald and Rhydian got kidnapped, then Donald told me and Donald got kidnapped, which means I’m next!” yelled Robin. I could not believe it. Robin was the most practical guy I knew, and here he was talking about aliens! Just yesterday he bet me ten bucks werewolves weren’t real. For the record, they're totally real. “You didn’t really think I was going to fall for this did you?” I said, coughing a chuckle. I got up and left the house, Robin followed me out. “Dude please! I’m going to get kidnapped next! You have to believe me!” he yelled, chasing after me. I hopped onto my bike and was about to pedal away, when I felt something cold land on my hand. It was a snowflake. The same clear sky that I saw five minutes ago, was now completely clouded. It started hailing cats and dogs within seconds, I knew I had to get home, NOW. I started pedalling, when suddenly, a blue light shined from behind me. I turned around, and you’ll never guess what I saw. A weird flying thingy in the shape of a saucer, was SUCKING Robin with some type of super ray, and within the blink of an eye, he was gone. The saucer flew away into the dark sky, and blended with the grey clouds. I didn’t know what just happened. I didn’t know what to do. All I did, and could do was stare, with my eyes wide open. A cold shiver ran down my spine. He wasn’t lying. I could’ve helped him. But I didn’t believe him. My heart was thumping faster than ever. I held the handle of my bike and pushed the pedal. I slowly rode on the street, as the clouds departed, and the sun shone once again. Hailstorms have been coming and going within seconds this summer, now I knew why. My palms were sweaty and my feet, shaking. The storm left a chill of evil in the air. I reached my home and dropped my bike. I jumped through my bedroom window and collapsed on my bed. That moment still stood before my eyes. My entire body was trembling uncontrollably, I was whimpering. I didn’t know what to do. I had to think. I couldn’t save Robin, but I could try saving the next person. Robin said it was like a chain. Rhydian to Donald, and Rhydian got kidnapped a few hours later. Then Donald told Robin and Donald got kidnapped a few hours later. Then Robin told me, and Robin got kidnapped. So, who is next? “Think. Think” I told myself. My heart froze for a second. If Robin told me, it means I am THE NEXT VICTIM. No. This can’t be happening. I had to escape. I had to tell my mom. She can do something. Yes, I had to tell my parents. I got out of bed, but fell back down. If I tell them, it would mean they would get kidnapped next. I couldn’t do that to them. I HAVE to break the chain. I only had a few hours left before I get captured. I can’t get anybody else involved in this. It had to end with me. I spent my last few hours helplessly lying in bed, waiting for them. I couldn’t seek help, I couldn’t run from them. There was nothing I could do. I didn’t want my family to get attacked when I was getting kidnapped. So, I went out to the lake near our house and sat on the soft grass, staring at the swans swimming on the water, waiting. Just as I was about to doze off, I felt a slight chill on my forehead. It was snowing once again. I saw a blue light. I was levitating in the air. I went higher and higher. A bright white light above me dazzled my eyes. I heard a very annoying ringing, and the next thing I know, I was back in the comforts of my bed. I lay there, blinking cluelessly. “What happened?” I asked myself, sitting up straight. My alarm clock was ringing. “Breakfast!” My mom called out. I realized it was all just a dream. I fell back down, laughing at myself.

January 17, 2021 12:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Saranya Sar
13:41 Feb 03, 2021

Keep it up

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sindu Rajan
07:19 Jan 25, 2021

good story. really loved it. keep it up...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joshitha Shri
07:00 Jan 25, 2021

Nice story! I really enjoyed it! Loved the twist in the end...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sanjiv Kumar
02:56 Jan 25, 2021

Good one

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.