1 comment

Friendship Thriller Suspense

A normal day, I woke up at nine in the morning so as not to miss the English exam. As always, I got up, took a bath, brushed my teeth and washed my face, and had breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary so far, is it? Yes, until I went to university. As I entered the exam room, I felt a strange feeling that I seemed to have already experienced. I was wondering where to sit, but it was as if the second place in the front row was calling to me and I decided that I had a good feeling. I sat there and the moment the lecturer handed out the test sheets, looking at the sheet, I saw the answers. I mean, they were literally pale written, outlined. So far I’ve been on a normal day. I looked at the sheets of colleagues next to me, but they were blank, there was no writing on them or anything like that, so I called the lecturer and asked her quite normally if she could change my test, but she didn’t understand why I wanted to and refused.

I realized that only I could see these things, and again I decided to trust my premonition. I wrote verbatim what was written and circled the answers as I could see. Passing my test in the upper left corner, the grade A was written. I wished the lecturer a good day and left. On the way out, I saw Alex, my best friend, who hugged me with great happiness.

“How are you feeling today, Myra?” - He asked me, to which I did not know exactly how to answer.

“In general, good, there is still much to be desired.” - I laughed.

“I couldn’t wait to see you! I have news.“

When he said this about the news, a situation arose in my mind when Alex invited Selena on a date for the first time. Then the picture abruptly shifted to the cafe on the corner of Barton Street, where the two drank frappe and hugged, then kissed, and at that moment everything disappeared.

“Oh, yes, I forgot, how the rendezvous went?“

“Not so fast, Myra, I just invited her. After all, how do you know about this? I don’t remember telling you I was going to invite her.“

“True, you’re right, you just always said how much you want to invite her and I do not know why this question came to my mind. I’m sorry, I really need a break.” - I said in one breath.

“Is everything alright?” - Asking this, he grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eye. - “Is there anything that worries you?”

“No, Alex, I’m very glad that everything is going well between you and Selena!“

And then the picture of Alex and I talking in the hallway of the university came to my mind again, and Selena came over and shouted that he was talking to another girl who was actually me? He lowered his head and regretted it, but followed her ass.

“Alex, sweetie, where have you been?” - Selena’s squeaky voice echoed down the hall. - “Oh, you.” - She looked at me with contempt. - “Come on, baby, it’s time for our date! If you can excuse us, Maria!“

“Myra, my name is Myra.”

“Does not matter!” - She whimpered and pulled him away.

I was shocked for several reasons. First, why did she act like she was his girlfriend? Second, why doesn’t he react to her attitude towards me? I’m closer to Alex than anyone! And third, what the hell happened and why do I experience this situation seconds after I see it in my mind! Many unanswered questions for today. On the way home, I passed Barton Street, where I saw through the coffee window on the corner what I saw in my vision, I don’t know what to call it anymore.

I didn’t leave the house for the next few, because I was lecturing online, and Alex didn’t text me or call to see me. I hadn’t had any visions since and decided it was just my day. In the meantime, they sent me a mail from the university with a letter in it - my exam and it said A in the upper left corner. It meant that I had finished this subject and only mathematics remained. I picked up my phone and called Alex, but he hung up three times in a row.

“Come on, show me something! How do these visions work?” - I was talking to myself.

Coincidentally, the same day I went to check the mail instinctively once more and found a package in it. I locked myself in the room and unpacked it, seeing before that it said, “Only for Myra James.”It contained a letter, a transparent ball, and a ring the size of mine. The letter read:

Hello Mira,

We are the Third Eye Organization (TEO).

We are writing to you on the occasion of what you experienced a few days earlier. We know you probably have a lot of questions, but we can’t answer them, only you can. In the set we sent you you will see the ring of the future, as well as the ball for divination. What you experience is called a future memory - something that happens in the future, but you remember it. Imagine being able to predict the future, but in a different way.

The ring will carry you forward, and with the ball you can see the past, present and future. Use carefully!

I instinctively grabbed the ball and looked at it intently. At one point I saw Alex with Selena. He sent her home, and after a long farewell, he finally left for home. When I saw this, I quickly put on my shoes and walked to his house, which was shortly after mine. I sat on the steps and waited for about 10 minutes. He parked the car and when he saw me his face was sad. I was angry, and as he approached me I slapped him.

“Is that what you call friendship? Twenty years, Alex, we’ve known each other since we were little. How could you throw me away like a handkerchief? What kind of best friend does that? I’ve been helping you with Selena’s invitation ideas for so long, even though I’ve never liked her, and you’re paying off? What’s left for my feelings?” - I shouted, I was furious.

- Myra …

And then one of those “visions,” came up. I was next to the street where I lived, two blocks down, and looked around to see if there was anything specific about the vision. I saw Alex’s girlfriend holding hands with Maxim Darrols, the boy Alex had been arguing with since he was a child, because he had been harassing him since kindergarten. I walked over to them, and they kissed, and I wondered if Alex was still her boyfriend. I pulled out my vibrating phone and saw that Alex texted me: Selena and I will be watching a movie tonight, I won’t be able to go out. Sorry, hugs!

Returning to reality, I looked at Alex and cried.

“Hey, hey, Myra! What’s wrong?” - He asked and hugged me. - “I’m sorry about everything, really. I will pay more attention to you from now on.“

“It’s not about that, I mean, not completely.“

The two entered his house and she told him about everything that had happened to her, about the visions that turned out to be reality - about the exam, about his meeting with Selena, which she had already seen, about the package, and now about what she saw the last.

“But she and I are thinking of making this movie night the day after tomorrow. I wanted to invite you, but she hates you a little and …“

“Trust me.”

Of course, this happened as Myra had predicted. Alex and Selena broke up and Myra finally managed to admit her feelings for him, after which you guess what happened.

Each of us can see a drop of the future, whether in sleep or in the waking state. But not everything is a reality, as in our stories.

October 08, 2020 20:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

H.L Whitlock
10:18 Oct 15, 2020

Hi Angela, I really like the premise of your story, being able to see the future when you're in University and navigating relationships could be a really good skill to have! The story felt rushed when I was reading it. It would have been good to have more of a build up to Myra's ability to see into the future and the events that followed, like falling out with her friend Alex over his new girlfriend and her and Alex getting together towards the end of the story. However, I really like the last line 'Each of us can see a drop of the ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.