2 comments

General

Age 10: Doctor's Office

Dear Diary,

Today mommy told me to wake up early and get ready to go to the doctor's office. I'm going to tell u guys the truth, I was SUPER SCARED. I mean what if he gave me an injection!! Or what if I found out I had the flu! Mommy would make me stay in bed forever and I could never go outside to play with Carter and Emily and they would be sad and alone. Oh no! Then after I eat breakfast Mommy said she had to get ready and that I have to be downstairs waiting for her in about 10 mins. I decided to go talk to my older sister, maybe she has some experience. We talked for a bit and then she said I'm stupid and I'm going out of my mind and that it's just a visit to the doctor. She had a good point but I didn't let her know! It was time to go, mommy promised me chocolate ice cream after only if I behaved well.

Then we arrived, we waited in the lobby for 30 mins I was busy watching Lion King at the small t.v screen above the reception desk. After a while, mommy and I got up to the doctor and he greeted us warmly. He checked my growth and my weight, my mouth, my temperature. EVERYTHING! He told me that I'm doing pretty good, but next week I'll get a flu shot. I told him that I was scared! He said it'll be all right, and that there is no need to worry. Hmm, I don't know about that. Well finally, we got out of the building and mom bought me some chocolate ice cream, just like she had promised. I went home and told my older sister about it, she said that she doesn't care and that I should stop bugging her all the time when she's studying. So I went to tell Dad but he said to not interrupt his meeting. I didn't know he was working home today. I figured not to tell mom about my day because she probably already knew, so I just wrote it in my diary that Carter bought me last year. Anyways, today was not a totally bad day!


Age 20: Doctor's Office

Dear Diary,

It's hard to breathe and it's getting difficult to sleep. My thoughts hold me back and tie up my inner voice shouting for help, for guidance. I can't believe she's gone. My best friend Emily is dead. They found her in her own bedroom, dead. A bedroom is a place of comfort but for Emily, it was a place where she was trapped in negativity and her own terrible thoughts and she held herself back. She would make up excuses not to talk to me and her parents. We cared and she didn't see that. I mourn in my garden wishing for some change. I told Carter what happened and he's been distressed as well. It is a tough time for everyone. My parents decided that It was best if I went to the therapist. I needed to talk to someone. After I told the therapist how I felt, I walked outside and sighed. I sat on the outside brown and rusty bench just looking at the cars pass by. I remember the time that Emily and I planned to escape to Rome and work in a cafe until we got bored to death, then we would explore the rest of Europe. And if we got broke, then we just planned on coming back to the States. Now I want to go back.


Age 30: Doctor's Office

Dear Diary,

Today I received a call from my son's school. Apparently, he injured himself in a fight. Immediately I went to the doctor, I wasn't going to scold him first. We arrived at the doctor's office and he didn't speak to me and neither did I. He stared at his phone and texted his friends. I could have taken his phone away but I had a bigger problem to solve first. When the doctor asked what was wrong I expected him to explain (which he did). The doctor gave him a few medications and pills prescribed for a week. We went straight home. My wife of course was shocked to see such a good kid behave this way. He was suspended for 3 days and also grounded. I am angry so I'll keep this entry short to prevent myself from ranting on and on.

I wish he could be a kid again.


Age 60: Doctor's Office

Dear Diary,

My last wish is to tell you how I feel. I don't feel good. My son is in a different country and my wife cannot do anything. We tried to contact him many times but he always says "Go to the Hospital or the Doctor nearby and get a treatment, I'm busy I'm sorry I don't have the time".

So I've been alone for the past few weeks, I mean my wife is here too but we both are getting old and one cannot just look after the other all the time. I watch the news and it scares me to see such peril, to hear terrible voices, to feel like I can't do anything. I listen to stories but then I eventually crawl back into that terrible state of mind. I'm getting older day by day and my body cannot comprehend. I want to write to this 60-year-old diary. I've been writing for 60 years but today is different. Today is the last day I pick up my black fountain pen to tell you about my life and my experiences. Today my hands hurt. I have lost appetite and drink less water. It is fine because soon, I won't be writing anymore. I went to the same doctor's office last week, the one that I have been going to for the past 60 years. The doctor talked to me and told me how my health had changed ever since he saw me as a little boy grow up into a depressed, stressed, confused adult. He told me to enjoy the last few days with my wife and son. But unfortunately, this is not possible.


Goodbye.

April 10, 2020 13:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tim Law
11:50 Apr 16, 2020

The way you have written this Tia is brilliant. I need to read all the other entries in between

Reply

Tia Jain
04:40 Apr 25, 2020

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.