6 comments

Fantasy Fiction

1284 words

Rated PG; violence, blood

Prompt: Write a a story set in summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.




Last night, the moon seemed to say something. I mainly thought this because it yelled at me for staying out late.


It’s 3 in the morning, and I’m driving home by the pale slivers of the full moon. It follows me, lighting my path. I don’t even use my headlights because the silver beams are so enchanting, I wouldn’t want to ruin them with the bright yellow that shoots from my car.


I was at my friends’ house, seeing their new baby. Brittany gave birth about a month ago, but I’ve been so busy. After baby Zara went to bed, we continued to talk. There’s so much to catch up on, still. Having children flips your world upside down. They didn’t say it, but I could tell from the expressions on their faces.


My stomach starts to grumble as the countryside begins to morph into the city. Trees are domesticated. Dirt trails are now sidewalks. Farms have become gas stations. I decide to turn into that last one, to satisfy my late-night hunger. I see the flashing lights of TOTAL. 


As soon as I turn onto the property of the building, I notice something. The light of the moon is becoming...brighter. Like a lightbulb was screwed into the sky. I turn to my left, and blink. Is the moon getting closer?


The moon is shooting towards me, like a clumsy baseball hit by a nervous batter. It skitters and jiggles, dancing just out of the way of objects, like it’s not used to leaving its place in the starry sky--which is probably the case.


It approaches so fast I don’t have time to do anything but roll down my window. As it’s upon me, it transforms. It is no longer a ball, but a...person? A flowing glowing robe, with patterns of the lunar cycle, reaches their ankles, and flows out behind them, as if a strong breeze is blowing. 


Grey boots slither up their knees, with glitter thrown on the toes. Their hair is done in an intricate braid, which is gathered on the top of their head like a bun. Their skin is a deep blue, with twinkling freckles sprinkled on their cheeks. Their gloves are as white as snow, and as graceful. Their eyes are navy, with tiny flecks of midnight in them. 


As they look at me, it starts snowing. There are white flurries floating in the air, and swirling around them. It doesn’t stick on the ground, just falls from big, invisible clouds and makes a crown on the top of their head. 


I stare at the personified moon. They are so pretty. So ethereal, so-


“What’s wrong with you?” They shout, and slap me in the face.


I am frozen from the sting of their hand. Their voice is so melodic, I’d never expect it to be part of a scolding. 


“Wh-what?”


The moon rubs their temple with their long fingers. They’re disappointed in me?


“You can’t be that stupid.”


They pull on a strand of their hair, and the complicated style comes apart rather quickly. Their crown dissipates into the air, like it was never there. It falls to their shoulders, which is actually shorter than I thought it was.


“Do you think I have all night to watch you?” Their voice takes on an annoyed undertone.


“I don’t understand. What?”


The moon exhales slowly and reaches out their arm. 


“Pass me the chip bag.”


The chip bag. I bought a bag this morning on my way over here. I haven’t eaten it. I forgot about it completely until they mentioned it.


I don’t want to upset the moon, so I get it from where I left it on the passenger seat.


I pass it to them, and they pop it open with a snap of their fingers. They take one salted wafer and put it in their mouth.


“Now I’m stress-eating. Happy? Do you want me to be sleep-deprived and unhappy?”


I watch as they devour the snack in record time. 


“I don’t get it. You’re the moon. Why are you here?”


The moon looks at me for a few seconds, and then bursts into laughter. They hold their stomach, grinning. Their teeth are flawless. 


“What’s so funny?”


The moon clamps a palm over their mouth to stop their giggles.


“Okay, first off, I’m not the moon. I’m a moon. Lune, for your information. I’m the moon for this town.”


“What does that have to do with me?”


All of Lune’s mirth disappears as I ask the question. They now look very mad. They point at me accusingly.


“I have to be in the sky until everyone’s inside for the night. Pros of being in a small town, I usually get to leave early and have fun with my friends who have shifts at different times.”


“Okay. And?”


“And, you decided to visit Brittany and Alister! Do you think I have time to be your light the whole night? You don’t even have your lights on, for heaven’s sake. And now, you’re stopping to eat? You had a damn snack in the car the whole time!” Lune holds up their fingertips, which are covered in chip dust, for emphasis.


“Oh. Sorry.” Is all I can get out.


“Well, slap it on a t-shirt and call it a day! That doesn’t help me.” 


Suddenly, a stream of blood starts to trickle from the corner of their ghostly lips. They sigh as they wipe it away with their sleeve. It leaves a stain that stands out, despite the robe looking as if it has a million tiny light bulbs in it.


"Great, now I'm bleeding from exhaustion."


Lune, who has been floating a few centimeters off the ground, falls forward into the car. They tumble off my lap and land in the passenger seat.


"You can bleed?"


"You can bleed, can't you? Don't make it a big deal."


I pull a tissue out my pocket. Lune looks angry with me, but they accept it anyway.


“You know, Paris, London, New York moons, they all have to work full shifts. But guess what? They’re popular. Toronto is such a stuck-up snob.”


“I’ve never been to any of them. Not even Paris.”


Lune looks up at me. The bleeding has slowed down a bit, but is still dripping on my car.


“Don’t go. It may have the Eiffel tower, but it also has bird poop everywhere.”


“Yeah, and I bet New York and Toronto and London are terrible too.” I try to console them, because I don’t know what else to do.


“Two of them are. So much murder and smoking. One’s alright, sorta.”


Lune has an arm thrown across their eyes. I don’t know what to do, so I pat their arm comfortingly. They don’t swat it away, so I don’t stop. How long will I have to keep this up?


“You are a great city too. My friends are here. You have a lot of agriculture. You’re...handsome.”


Lune lowers an arm and watches me compliment them. 


“Thanks.”


“No problem.”


Lune sits up. “I guess you’re okay. You were only visiting friends. I can go back in the sky, if you want.”


I wave the notion away. “No, you look tired. I’ll just put my headlights on. Do you want to go somewhere?”


Lune is surprised at my offer. “Yeah, I guess. I could go to Watson farms.”


I smile. “Watson’s farms it is.”


By the time we’re on the road, Lune’s raging snow has stopped. Was it ever there? 


“I have a question. Are there a bunch of suns, too?”


“Of course not. The sun is a flaming ball of fire. Didn’t you ever listen in science class?”


January 22, 2021 14:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Tessa Takzikab
23:27 Jan 24, 2021

This story kept me laughing, nice work. I love it so much! It's crazy enough that it could have been a dream. I'm wondering if maybe the MC stayed out a bit later than was wise... :) Then again, the moon is pretty cool and there's definitely not enough moon based literature. I have one grammar question. When you use 'they' for a single person, is the verb supposed to be plural or singular? In other words, is this a mistake or not? "They sighs as they wipe it away with their sleeve." Honestly, I have little to no experience with that, so I'...

Reply

Thank you for the compliments. That was definitely a mistake on my part, but if anyone reads it and asks, I like your explanation better.

Reply

Tessa Takzikab
00:20 Jan 25, 2021

:) Okay then, happy to help with that

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:54 Jan 22, 2021

Haha! I really enjoyed reading it;) amazing.

Reply

Thank you

Reply

Amel Parvez
17:51 Jan 22, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.