4 comments

Christian Drama Friendship

I typed in the last word and removed my hand from the keyboard so fast like it burnt me. I did it. Wow, I really did it. This is so unbelievable but since it is right in front of me I have no other choice but to believe it. 

I went to my contact list on my phone where I had stored the number I had gotten from the telephone book in the filling station. When I got the number, I dialed it and relaxed in my seat waiting for the unknown person to answer. 

...........................................................................

Hello?

Hello, I’m Evangel ___

What do you need?

What!!! 

I asked you a question, what do you need?

What makes you think I need anything? You don’t ___

Who is speaking?

__even know anything about me. Mister, weren’t you taught not to interrupt when someone is talking to you?

I guess not.

Well, in that case I guess I cannot blame you for that.

Blame me for what?

Mister, you really do not need to raise your voice at me, I could hear you with the tone you started with.

I really do not need this right now.

Oh my God, is this a bad time for you, sir? Did you just lose someone or are you mourning the new year?

Lady, have you ever been told that you talk too much?

You just insulted me right now right?

I really am not in the mood for this right now.

If you had meant to mutter those words Sir, you failed miserably and I’m so disappointed to have to tell you that I did not deserve that insult from you. You, of all people___

Lady, do I know you, if not, who in thunder are you?

Of course you don’t know me and that’s your fault.

Is this lady crazy?

Are you doing this on purpose sir or do you really not know how to mutter?

How is it my fault that I don’t know you?

Before I explain it to you, I need to get your promise about something.

Be rest assured, I am not promising you anything.

Oh sir, you really did it this time, yes you did.

What exactly?

I believe you have just insulted me sir.

And what if I said I did not.

I will not believe you. Look sir___

Can you drop the sir?

This is exactly what I wanted to gain your promise about.

I’m not following you.

With all due respect sir, you need to stop cutting me off. It really is not polite.

Did I ever say anything about being polite?

I have a thing about impolite people and if I will allow you to talk to me, you must learn how to be polite sir.

You called me remember but let’s forget that fact and go back to where all this started, who are you and what do you want from me.

It’s quite simple sir, yes, it’s actually very simple.

What are you talking about?

In addition to your impoliteness sir you are also very impatient. It is a very big flaw and I suggest you work on it sir.

Please who are you? Do you know me? Have we met before?

Sir, the way you sounded right now sounded like I’ve wearied you. It really wasn’t my intention to do that and for that I’m very sorry sir.

Call me Dennis.

What!!!

I said call me Dennis.

I just gave you a sincere apology. The right response should either be its okay or I forgive you or___

What if I don’t.

Uhn. 

What if I don’t forgive you.

But I just apologized to you, you are supposed to forgive me. It is the normal thing to do.

Look, little lady___

I beg your pardon sir but there is nothing little about me.

You just interrupted my sentence.

Because you were going to insult me. 

_____________

Hello?

___________

No response?

Sir, are you okay? Do I need to call 911?

There is no need to call 911, I was just trying to imagine how big you were.

Sir, don’t you know that it is a very grave insult to tell a woman that she is big?

The name is Dennis and you just told me there was nothing small about you. 

I give up. Si- Dennis, you have sapped all my hope for you.

I will not make the mistake and ask you what you just meant by that ridiculous statement because I’m sure it will make me angry which is the only emotion I’ve been feeling since I picked this call. 

____________________

No comment or have I hurt you?

You most certainly have sir. Yes, you most certainly have. You’ve been cutting me off and being so impatient and worst still snapping at me when I did not deserve it and I’m telling you sir, I did not deserve it. Right now I’m contemplating if I should ever forgive you sir.

I’m sorry............. Even if you did deserve some of my ire.

Did you just apologize to me?

There’s no need to actually sound incredulous.

But you did apologize to me right?

Yes, I apologized to you.

You don’t need to sound so amused Sir.

Are we back to calling me Sir again? Never mind, what did you say your name was again?

Though it is your fault that we’ve spent more than twenty minutes on the phone you don’t know my name yet I will forgive you for that. My name is Evangeline.

Wow, that’s a very nice name.

Thank you so much and Dennis is a nice name also.

You don’t have to compliment my name just because I complimented yours.

Are you laughing at me?

Just a little. Do you always try to be prim and proper?

I actually thought we were on the way to being friendly but you had to insult me again, didn’t you?

I thought we were already friends and I didn’t mean to insult you, I just meant it as an honest question.

Of course you did, that’s what you men do.

Okay, I’m so sorry for insulting you even though it wasn’t my intention to do that.

Are you always this agreeable?

No but you’ve taught me more than I was expecting.

I don’t understand.

You’ve taught me to be patient, agreeable and to forgive easily.

How nice?

Okayyyyyyyyyyy.

________________________

Yea___

Ye___

Ladies first.

I’m sorry for snapping at you, it’s just that today was a very wonderful day for me and__

Yes?

________

I’m sorry for interrupting you, I will try my best not to again. Sincerely.

As I was saying, today was a wonderful day and I thought to call someone I found in the telephone book to share my news to, you now?

I can practically feel your excitement from here. Why don’t you spill it?

Okay, I can tell you are laughing at me but I refuse to comment on that. There’s just one hindrance in my news.

And that is?

I need an editor. I just finished my book today though my deadline was next month and that is why I’m so happy and so I need an editor but I’m scared of having one that will delete most of my scenes. Listen to me rambling about a book, I’m boring you right? 

Actually no, you are not. I’m just surprised.

That what?

Please don’t take that as an insult because it was not meant to be. Are you sure you saw my number in an address book, not that you were given by somebody?

Are you calling me a liar?

No, I’m not. Okay let me explain it to you, the reason I was snapping at you when we started talking was because I was frustrated.

About what? If you don’t mind me asking. 

Actually I don’t. I was frustrated because the client I was working with is refusing to cooperate with me.

Are you stalling because you want to keep this conversation longer than it needs to be or because you do not want to tell me your job?

I’m stalling because you are not going to like what I’m going to tell you.

Oh my God, I have a feeling I’m right about what you are going to say next but please don’t tell me, let’s move to other topics.

Like what?

How was your client refusing to cooperate with you? Oh no, don’t answer that.

Let me do. I advised my client to remove a scene in her manuscript but she refused because she said it was the scene she had the most fun writing.

_________________________

I don’t know why I feel the need to apologize but I’m sorry.

Don’t be, it’s your job.

_____________________

I mean, I’m so disappointed. Today was supposed to be a happy day for me because I’ve been writing this particular book for the past three years but I guess every author has to prepare for the fact that certain scenes would be deleted.

Yeah. That’s the unfortunate fact.

Anyways, since I’m not ready to have my book butchered by any editor, I’m going to leave it the way it is and start another story.

Do you have a plot?

Yeah, I started writing on the first of this year. That reminds me, I want to wish you a happy new year. Glory be to God for bringing us into this new year.

Happy new year to you too. It has only been God. Please what is today’s date?

Today is 8th. Why did you ask?

I don’t have my calendar here and I wanted to know how long you’ve been writing.

I have a rule about not telling anybody about my books until I finish the first book in the series.

So did you just finish your series or the first book in the series.

The series.

Wow, that’s great. And you said three years?

Why did you think I was so happy?

And I ruined it by opening my big mouth and not letting you finish your first sentence?

Yep, you did.

You were supposed to say I did not.

Why? You did ruin it.

I did not.

Must you be so contradicting?

I’m sorry. I did not mean to insult you again.

I must have put the fear of God in you.

Oh yes, you did.

I’m not going to apologize for that.

I did not expect you too.

It was a pleasure talking to you on this my special day.

My pleasure, miss.

Call me tomorrow?

Thought you wouldn’t ask. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

I don’t know why, but I trust you will keep your word. Bye. Speak to you later. A book is calling my name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Eva dropped the line and smiled. She felt like squealing like a schoolgirl. This was the happiest she had ever been after finishing a book, not to talk about the fact that she had finished before her deadline. This was sure to be the beginning of all the good things that would happen to her this year.

January 08, 2021 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jana Diriyeh
14:39 Jan 15, 2021

The story is really good! great job writing this :)

Reply

11:02 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bonnie Clarkson
15:06 Jan 13, 2021

It's a good job of making a story out of what could have started with an assumption of a telemarketer. The voices were completely different, but I did get a little confused. I don't think an occasional "he said", or "she said" would have hurt.

Reply

23:35 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for the compliment and you are right an occasional he said or she said wouldn't have hurt but I wanted it without. On the document itself one of the conversations is in bold but everything looks the same here so for that I'm sorry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.