Luthien Celestae: Songbird of the Stars

Written in response to: Start your story with a character finding an old heart-shaped box in their house. ... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

Warning: Language.

********************************************************Prologue: The Heart Box.

"Hey, Sirius. There's clothes in the closet over there. Could you get me an outfit?" Kyoko asked, yelling from the shower room. "Sure thing!" He yelled back, rummaging through the clostes that weren't organized at all. They weren't even hung up. Just a pile of clothes behind a wooden door. As he rummaged, he came across a box. It appeared to have stuff inside, so he looked through them. Among those things was a heart shaped box. It looked old. Not old, as in 'I bought this 13 years ago', but more like, 'This came from an older period of time.'

As soon as he touched it, he saw memories that weren't his, through eye that weren't his.


Chapter One: A Single Moon Among Countless Stars.

I shuddered as I felt a wave of dark energy wash over me. Then, all of a sudden, a bright white light appeared, in the shape of a door. On the door were constellations. It was her. Luthien, the one always acting so cheerful. Of course she would be the favourite. I was always cast to the side. I hate thinking about this, and every time I do, it's because she shows up, returning those awful memories once more. She always makes me feel like A single Moon among the countless Stars in the Sky.

My sister stepped through the door. "Hello, Katé. How are thee on this fine day?" She said politely. I rolled my eyes. "Let's skip the pleasantries. What do you want?" I asked, impatient for her to leave already. For a brief moment, her smile faltered, but when I blinked, it was back.

"As you wish. Did you feel that energy, of which thee has never seen nor felt with thine own eyes?" She asked. I rolled my eyes once again. Why must she talk like she's from a dozen centuries ago?

"Yes, I felt it, now what dost thou- I mean, what do you want?" I demanded. For a few seconds, she frowned. She shook her head, and her smile was back.

"I feel that I need balance. That presence I feel is the key to said balance. I need your help tapping into it. This, this...Void. Is that a word? I've never heard. That would be...Revan in our tongue, correct?" She asked. I nodded. "Sounds about right. But where shall we go to tap into this newfound energy?" I asked, humouring her only this one time. I stood up, got off my throne, and followed her.

Chapter Two: Not Even All Of The Stars Are Equal To The Power Of The Moon.

I sat near my window, eating what humans call a sandwich. It was rather delightful. Then, my crow sat on the windowsill, and stared at me, expecting some. "Oh, don't groke at me, Cataract. Why has thee come here-" I froze. This energy is very dark. It washed over me, almost dancing around me. It reminded me of a waltz. I could not see it, but I certainly felt it. And I liked it. Once it was over, I summoned a door, straight to my sister's throne room. As soon as I saw her face, I felt sad. I could feel the hatred she felt towards me. You would expect hate to be hot like fire, but no. It was cold. Oh so cold.

I don't understand why she hates me so. It wasn't always like this. She used to be happy, to smile. But not anymore. Not towards me, anyway. Sometimes I wonder if she hates me because I exist. Because I'm the opposite of her. I give life, she passes judgement on the dead. I am light, she is the Moon, reflecting all of it back. I could feel all of that simply from her cold gaze. But I still look up to her, like not even all of the Stars are equal to the power of the Moon.

Because I love her. Even though she may not love me anymore. It breaks my heart, but I will not ever stop loving Hekaté.

Chapter Three: Revan, The Darkness in the Light

I have always been the silent observer. I have always gone unnoticed. That is my way, my purpose. I am the Void between the Stars, the Void in the Light. But I have a sudden urge...to reach out... to...be known. I extended my energy towards anything, towards the Light, the Moon, everything. I felt the two strongest spirits in the realm. Sisters. One of them didn't accept the energy, almost ignoring my existence. The other one gladly accepted it. It made me happy. So happy, that I began to dance. It was a Waltz, I believe humans call it.

Soon enough, the two sisters came through a door of which they summoned. The one whose soul radiated light was pulling the other one along. It was very bright in here now, on account of the two sister's souls. One of them was darker than the others, much darker. But I could sense a faint amount of light. They appeared to be looking for something. I think they are looking for me. They can't see me. It's funny, actually. They can't see the darkness because they radiate light. Ironic.

I decided to help them, but not give them the answer. I turned this now white room into a dark forest, the only light they have was their own souls. They were shocked. "Er... That's strange." The dark-souled one said. "Forsooth, Hekaté, forsooth." She said, taking in all of the beauty of the forest. I was intrigued. Why would one sister talk so modernly, while the other one talks like she is from dozens of centuries ago? No matter.

"I think I know what we're looking for." Said the brighter one, after thinking for a moment. "Oh, really? What would that be exactly?" She asked, snapping. "The Dark. It makes sense, given the erstwhile presence." She said, proud of her reasoning. And she wasn't wrong.

"Ok. Use this Moon Orb. It should reveal the darkness." She said tossing her a small white orb, about half the size of one's palm. "What does it do? How do I use it?" The brighter one asked. The other one rolled her eyes. "Oh, you push the Light energy out of it, and it will invite the Dark. Easy as that." She explained. The brighter one nodded, doing as she instructed.

The light burst from the orb, and it went straight towards me. It grabbed me, exposing where and who I was, and pulled me into the orb. The light went in as well and tried to exterminate me. It tried to purify my existence, murder me if you will. The brighter sister panicked trying to open it with her will. I could feel it killing me. This orb weakened my power drastically, making me vulnerable.

When that didn't work, she threw it on the ground, shattering it. I came out of the orb and tumbled to the ground. When I looked up, the two sisters were looking right at me.

Chapter Four: Hello There.

"Hello there." These were the first words he said to me. After I broke the orb, he came out of it and fell to the ground below. He made eye contact right with me. "Oh." Hekaté said simply, in disbelief. "You were right." She said. I nodded happily. "Let me assist thee in getting on thine feet." I said, grasping his hand. He was quickly on his feet. "Thank you... what is your name? If I am to understand correctly, she's Hekaté, but I don't think you ever said your name." He said politely.

"My name is Luthien. And thee would be correct that her name is forsooth Hekaté. It is lovely to meet you. If thou would be e'er so inclined, I'd like to talk to you, and learn more about you. Dost thou feel e'er so inclined?" I asked, snapping and summoning a door. He nodded.

"Yes. That sounds nice. " He said, opening the door for me and my sister. "After you." He said, ushering us through the door, then entering himself.

Chapter Five: What Was That??!?

"Ahh!" Sirius exclaimed, falling backwards. "What is it? What happened?" Yelled Kyoko, stepping out the bathroom, wrapped in a towel. She saw the heart shaped box, and immediately understood. "Oh," She said, stepping forth. "So you found our box." Sha said, smile on her face. It looked like...no, it couldn't be. If Sirius was right about what he was thinking... then it means things got a while lot more fucking complicated for him.


February 16, 2022 14:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.