The Smiling Clown

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about a birthday party with a major plot twist.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was my 13th birthday. I was getting ready for the party. From downstairs I heard people talking, then I heard my father call for me, “Coming!” I answered. Right as I’m finished getting ready, I go sliding down the staircase, “Ah, there you are!” My mother says. “Hello!” I said, rather loudly. What can I say I’m just an excited boy. “Everyone please go to the table we’ll be starting dinner now!” My father said. I ran to the table where I’d be sitting.

We all ate then went to the back yard, and started to play some games. My mother came up to me and asked, “Are you having fun Vin?” I looked her in the eyes with a huge smile on my face and answered, “The best time!” My father laughed as he appeared next to my mother, and said, “Glad to hear that.” 

An hour later my father announced that the clown had arrived. I was the first one over to see the clown enter. He was wearing, what looked like an old clown outfit, had cracks on his face paint, and his nose had cracks in it, and his shoes seemed full of dirt and a red liquid. I dismiss it because there’s just this thing with clowns that just fascinates me! “Hello there! What’s your name?” The clown asked me. “My name’s Vinsen, and your’s?” I asked him. “Oh, I’m the Smiling Clown!” The clown said. That sent chills down my spine, but I kept a smile on my face non-less. 

The little kids and myself were having fun. Smiling Clown would tell us jokes and stories. He’d also blow up balloons and shape them into animals or swords. I was having lots of fun, and then came the time for the cake. Everyone was singing Happy Birthday, I was smiling the whole time. I made my wish and blew out the candles. “What’d you wish for sweety?” My mother asked me. “I can’t say or else it won’t come true,” I whispered in her ear. She gave me a smile and started to cut the cake. 

Once everyone was done with their cake, us kids went out to the back yard to play some more games. The adults stayed inside to talk about stuff. The Smiling Clown was about to leave when I said, “Mr.Smiling Clown?” He turned around to face me, “Yes?” He asked. “Would you stay a little longer?” I asked him. He gave me a small smile and said, “Of course.” Again a chill went down my spine. “Yay! Thanks!” I said excitedly. He started to tell us more stories and jokes. It went like that for around two hours, the Smiling Clown telling jokes, and stories, making stuff out of balloons. 

It was all fun until my mother came and said, “It’s time to open the presents!” I shot up from my spot and ran as fast as I could to the living room. My mother saw this and giggled to herself. My father was already getting the presents ready for me. He saw me and smiled at me, “Well aren’t ya a fast one?” He said laughing at the end. I laughed as everyone was getting ready. The others around me, as I’m in the middle. I open the first one, it was just a pair of clothes. I continue, more clothes, some toys here and there. There were also some sketch books, pencils, paint, paint brushes, and lots of other things. Did I forget to mention I’m an artist, well atleast a ‘work in progress’ artist. 

After opening all the presents I went up to everyone and said my ‘Thank you’s to them. I went back outside and Mr. Smiling Clown was out there with a present in hand. “Is that for me?” I asked. He laughed and said “Who else other then the birthday boy.” I had a huge smile on my face that made my cheeks hurt, but I didn’t care. He gave me my present. I was about to open it, but he told me to wait until the party was over. I nodded and took it up to my room. I was about to put it on my bed when I heard a small squeak come from the inside of the box. That’s when I noticed the small holes it had. I slowly began to unwrap the box. 

My mother came into my room. “Oh, why are you here and not down there with the others?” She asked me. I smiled at her, and with venom dripping from my mouth I asked, “Would you be so kind as to tell me what are you doing in my room? You didn’t know I was even hear, now did you?” Her face now showed a different expression, “Vinsen how many times do I have to say, ‘Don’t talk to me like that I’m your mother’?” She asked me. I rolled my eyes and asked, “And how many times do I have to say, ‘Don’t treat me like I’m a child you can just boss around?” With that she left the room, and left me alone. I was about to leave when I heard the squeak again, “Oh, right I was going to check what was in that box,” I say to myself and sighing. 

I go up to the box and start to unwrap it. I finished unwrapping it and slowly open it. Out came a very disfigured puppy. To others the puppy would be ugly and throw it out, but I’m a very strange child. I look at it and smile, “I’ll name you Sparky!” I said excitedly. The puppy yelped happily. 

I start to think out loud, “If my parents find out about you they’ll throw you out and then I’ll get in trouble,” I said looking at Sparky. He whines at me, and I smile at him and hold him in my arms, “I’d never let them do that to you,” I said snuggling him close to my face. “Stay here until I come back,” I said putting him on my bed. He barks when I’m at the door. I turned around and gave him a small smile. 

I’m outside with Mr. Smiling Clown and the other little kids. “So, did you see what was inside the box?” He asks me. I go on full panic mode and said, “Sorry I know I wasn’t supposed to open it until the end of the party, but I got curious, and curiosity killed the cat.” I keep on rambling. “Whoe, there kid, it’s fine I was kinda hoping you’d open it,” he said, making me stop my rambling. “Oh? Really?” I asked. He smiled and nodded. 

The party had just finished, I was about to go up to my room when my father stopped me, “Your mother told me what you said to her,” he said with a stern voice. I gave him a side glance and said, “Yeah, and what is it to you?” I asked. “Young man your not a kid anymore! You have to start acting like your age!” He yelled at me. This time I turn around and look him in the eyes, “Oh, you want me to ‘act my age’?” I said making quotation marks around ‘act my age’. I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen, my father and mother follow me. I turn around to face them, “Mother. Father. I’m sorry I yelled at you,” I said looking to the ground, both of them come up to me to give me a hug. “It’s fine honey,” my mother said with a soft tone of voice. My father nods his head, “Yeah, it okay,” he said giving me a hug. When both of them gave me a hug I grabbed the knife off of the counter and said, “Love you,” and stabbed them both on their neck. 

I see both of their bodies fall to the ground. I sighed to myself, “Whelp, back to work I guess,” I said turning to the front door where Mr. Smiling Clown was waiting for me with Sparky my new puppy. “Well done son,” He said with a kind smile. “I’m just doing my job,” I said returning the smile, “Father.” With that we both leave. 

August 06, 2019 23:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.