0 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

It was a cold, rainy night in Laurel, Maryland. The fire was blazing in the fireplace. I had some brie wrapped in prosciutto inside a Pillsbury grand rolls, aged sharp cedar, blue cheese, Italian bread sticks, with two glasses of white Zinfandel on a small table. With smooth jazz playing it was going to be a perfect evening. My love would be home any minute. Tonight was our one year anniversary. 

My heart skipped a beat as Charles entered. He kissed me lightly on the lips as he handed me roses.

"I have wine and cheese in the living room."

He took my hand and twirled me into his chest. Our lips met. I pulled away out of breath.

"Save some for later tiger."

We were seating on the rug in front of the fire sipping our wine. Charles stood taking my hand as a slow song played we danced. Charles stood six two and was chiseled. I mean, if you dropped a quarter on his chest it would come back fifty cents.

After the wine and cheese I took the lasagna out of the oven placing it on the table. I put the meatballs, sausage and rolled stuffed braciole in a bowl. Sliced the garlic bread, placed it in a basket. Dinner was served. It was a great night.

The next morning I made waffles, scrabble eggs with American cheese, bacon serve with rye toast and marmalade. Charles enter the kitchen, came behind, hugged me and kissed my neck.

"Good morning. Smells great in here." Charles said.

We sat and ate our breakfast. When done I cleaned up the breakfast dishes while Charles read the paper.

"You believe they still can't figure out who this Black Widow is? This is her ninth kill. The police are still baffled having no clues."

"Do you expect anything else from the cops? Seems they're always baffled." I said.

"You going anywhere?" Charles asked.

"Run some errands. That's all. You need me to stop anywhere?"

"If you can pickup my dry cleaning that would be great?" Charles asked

"Leave the ticket with my keys. I'm going to shower see you tonight my sweet." I said kissing his cheek.

I went to the linen closet, grabbed a towel. Showered and dressed I was off. First stop was the bank to make a withdrawal. Next the market, pickup the dry cleaning, then home. It was four ten when I walked in the door. Placed the clothes in the closet and groceries away.

I went to the wine rack an selected a Malbec to go with the two beautiful ribeye. I left the steaks on the counter to reach room temperature. Charles would be home at six.

I put on my apron and peeled the potatoes. I love Yukon Gold for mashed potatoes. They come out real creamy. After peeling I rinsed them then placed in a bowl of cold water so they wouldn't brown.

Charles loves asparagus so I was making a cheese sauce to go with it. Topping off the meal, a lemon meringue pie. It was five twenty, I put the water on for the potatoes and seasoned the steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder. 

The water boiling I put the potatoes in. Then heated the pan for the meat. Once hot I placed two sticks of butter with rosemary. Melted the steaks were ready for their bath.

I have to keep basting the meat seven minutes on each. I was taking them out of the pan when Charles was home. I set the two beauties on a plate to rest. Charles kissed me. He took in the aromas.

"OMG! You should have been a chef. I'm going to watch the news while you finish." He said slapping my ass.

Before mashing the potatoes I opened the wine to have it breath. I poured the cream sauce over the asparagus and dinner was served. During the meal Charles talked about these Black Widow murders. 

"I cannot get over the way she keeps getting away with it. Nine killings in eleven years. She leaves no clues, nothing. The police said the lady wipes out the poor snook's bank account disappearing into thin air. Masterful! That's what it is. Masterful." Charles said excitedly stuffing a piece of steak in his mouth. 

"I guess you could call it that. They all slip up in the end. I'm sure whoever she is will do the same." I replied.

Dinner finished I cleared the table, did the dishes and made coffee. Charles placed the pie on a plate with the serving knife and two small dishes. He went into the living room and started a fire. I sliced the pie and put the two desert plates on a tray with two mugs of coffee. I set it on the coffee table. With the fire dancing we ate our pie. I haven't had lemon meringue pie in ages. It was heavenly.

I turned to Charles and said; "We're married a year, I could be this Black Widow."

"You? I highly doubt it. You're not the type." Charles said laughing.

I looked at him a little pist off, saiding; "What does that mean? Anyone can be a killer. The most innocent person could be a cold blooded murderer."

"You're right, I agree. Come on though you a killer? I don't see it. You won't even kill a bug. Am I right? This woman is completely without a heart. You, my love have one." Charles said kissing me.

It was Sunday, Charles had to pack for a big business meeting in Dallas. I went to his closet taking out his suit and shirt that I picked up from the dry cleaner. Placing them on a hook behind the bedroom door I removed the plastic and took off the tags. He would be gone for three nights. The next morning I made Charles a big breakfast. He grabbed the car keys kissed me good-bye and off he went.

Three days later my husband returned. I planned a big dinner. I made roasted game hens, sweet potato pie, buffalo cauliflower and a three layer chocolate cake. The door swung open. I ran to Charles planted a long passionate kiss.

We finished eating, talked about his trip while eating the cake. Charles done went into the living room turned on the TV just as the reporter was talking about the Black Widow. I rolled my eyes as I sliced my husband's throat. 

"You see Charles they assume it's a woman doing all the murders. They're not looking from a Transgender. The neighbors think I'm a woman but never get a good look. I marry gay men like you who are workaholics. It's perfect. I have the car loaded. All my prints wiped clean. You mentioned about the bank accounts. I'm not going to tell you. That's my little secret. Well, it's been fun." I ended heading for the door.

February 04, 2021 21:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.