Tusks and Daggers Part Nineteen: Barely Stitched Together

Written in response to: Start your story with a blast of lightning casting a graveyard in a flash of brief, white light.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Horror Fantasy

A thick fog blocked our way, a heavy oppressiveness weighed down on us. A crack of lightning illuminated a large graveyard, the white light bathing the tombstones. Darkness bathed us once more, a shrill shriek shattering the night. My face paled, cold sweat dripping off of my brow. My scythe slid into my eager palms, everyone else holding their weapons. A tiny bit of PTSD plagued my mind, the memory of the owner of my hat causing a drop of sadness to dim my eyes. She was one of the most impressive people that I have ever met, her sacrifice will always be remembered by me. None of the hearts were here, but something else was. Shadow figures darted in the fog, another flash of lightning illuminating the graveyard. Cold fingers wrapped our ankles, all of us stomping on the bones. A necromancer performing a spell somewhere near us, rotting corpses bursting from the ground. Loose dirt flew behind us, blue flames devouring my scythe. Spinning it in the air, the blustery gust blew all of the fog away. Terror widened my eyes, thousands of decaying corpses stood in our way. Nausea wracked me, maggots squirmed underneath their skin. Boran shifted uncomfortably next to me, his throat clearing. 

“You could put the fog back anytime now.” Boran groaned bitterly, not wanting to deal with the problem at hand. “I liked it a lot better.” Maniacal laughter erupted from my lips, his attitude pissing me off.  Mary and Kara popped up next to me, Kanama and Karama standing behind them. Raising their blades up in defense, Mina circled the sky.

“We will clear a path for you.” Mary urged warmly, her sister and the lords backing her up. “Find his little hiding place.  When a necromancer raises this many dead people, he needs a safe place to concentrate on his spell.” Nodding in silent agreement, Merlin landed inches in front of me. Maryanna spun her blade in her palm, Merlin spinning his pocket watch around. Sir Acorn sat in my pocket, his red eyes glistening with excitement. Charging into the mob of limping corpses, Somata floats in the air. His lips were moving a mile a minute, his hair floating around his face. Winking down at me, he raised his arms. A blast of white energy contained them in an invisible bubble, the surface cracking slightly as Boran and I slid over them. Crashing onto the ground on the other side, every mauso

.leum glowing. Rolling my eyes, Sir Acorn passed me white crystal on a golden chain. Confusion twisted my face, his tiny paws tying it around my wrist. The crystal floated in the air, the gem glowing dimly. 

“It will guide you to the right one.” He explained evenly, the bubble beginning to crack. “Focus on your mission, not them. They will all live. Once you get to where you need to be, they will shelter in place. The rest is up to you. I have to go help them now with my many magical tools in my pocket, my dear friend. Come back alive for us.” Kissing him on the top of my head, he scurried back towards them. Sprinting into the rows of mausoleums, the crystal glowed brighter as the energy got darker. A black cloud of smoke curled from the largest one, the gray gargoyles burst to life. Shrill screeches echoed in the still air, black flames exploding from their lips. Mina swooped down, shooting her flames in their direction. 

“Go on, master.” She thundered powerfully, wagging her tail. “I have this. Go and save us all.” Blowing her a kiss, the dirt crunched underneath our boots as we crashed through the door. Pain coursed through my body, the cold marble stairs not cushioning our fall too well. A purple portal swirled a few inches from us, a harsh wind lashing at my bare skin. Desperation flashed in my eyes, Boran hanging on next to me. 

“You have to let go, Lottie.” Boran shouted over the wind, his free hand wrapping around mine. “I have you.” Swallowing the lump in my throat, we both counted to three. Letting go, a magnetic force dragged us into a different world. Groans of pain poured from our lips, an upside version of the cemetery greeting us. Scarlet burned in the sky, the odd feeling of walking on the sky freaking me out. Fright paralyzed me, my flames flickering out. My scythe faded away, all of my powers canceled out. Rolling my eyes, today couldn’t get any better.  Marching forward, several swords quivered in the ground above me.  Selecting the biggest one, the silver blade shimmered in the flash of white lightning. 

“I think none of my powers are available right now.” I admitted sheepishly, feeling a strange wave of exhaustion hitting me. “I don’t feel so great.” Concern flashed in his eyes, his lips parting to speak. Running his hand through his hair, the stress showed on his face. 

“I will cover you. Don’t do anything stupid.” He promised lovingly, a hint of iciness in his voice. “I can’t bear to lose our baby and you. Oh good, you found a weapon.” Touching it once, the ancient symbols glowed. Wonder brightened his eyes, him pressing his club into my palm. The boar fur fluttered in a gust of wind, the ancient leather groaning under his touch. Tracing the blade, his club felt bulky in my palms. Scanning the ground for a better weapon, a jet black scythe floated into my palms. Hanging his club on my belt, so many questions sat on the tip of my tongue. 

“What is so special about that sword?” I questioned curiously, spinning the scythe above my head. “I haven’t seen you this happy since you found out that I was pregnant.” Examining the blade, he swung it around a couple of times. The wide grin on his face told me that excitement was brewing, my fingers gripping the rough wooden handle.

“This is my grandfather’s blade.” He explained passionately, tracing my fingers along the symbols. “His name was Boran too. He was the original king of us all. Shortly after he died, a thief came and stole his blade. It gives me the powers of the Earth. You picked the accompanying scythe, always meant to be carried by the female companion. It doesn’t give you power, but it amplifies your strength and speed. Perhaps we can combine it with your other one once we get home.” The sky rumbled, white lightning crackling off of his sword. Scales brushed against my legs, both of us bumping our head into a tombstone. My face paled, a roar matched the thunder. The corner of my lips quivered, a black snake with black feather wings fluttered past us. The gentle red eyes told us that it didn’t want to eat us, but help us. Patting his head, his tongue tickled my cheeks. Sliding me over his head, my arms wrapped around his neck. Boran hopped on behind me, his arms embracing my waist. 

“You can understand me.” He hissed gleefully, responding to the scratching on his scales. “They call Feathscales back home. This necromancer trapped me here and you guys are the way out. So let’s do this!” Smiling kindly at him, my fingers grazed every cloud in the sky. This freedom was so nice, his eyes looking back at me with a warmth unlike any other. 

“Can you take us to the necromancer?” I asked pleasantly, giving him more scratches. “I don't know if you have a group to hang out with, but do you want to be my friend?” Damn that was awkward, Boran staring at me oddly.  Laughing nervously,  his tongue flickered out of his mouth. 

“I would love to travel with you. Do you happen to know any ladies?” He asked confidently, my eyebrows twitching. What kind of a creature was he! Surely, he didn’t even know about Mina. The thought of him hitting on her scared me, wondering if she would just roast him alive. 

“We’re here!” He announced cheerfully, dumping us off of him. “Win for me, ‘kay!” Flying off, both Boran and I crashed into the front door of a black brick house the shape of a coffin. Growling through gritted teeth, what the hell was up with that damn flying snake. Struggling to our feet, the plush lining brushing against me. A deep voice thundered, a flutter of a black cloak attracting my attention. Boran held my shoulder, his sword glowing brighter. A large form slid down the black spiral staircase, his black riding boots landing to a halt in front of me. A black plague mask covered his face, the worn wool robes fluttering in the hot breeze. 

“I am Dackworth, the strongest necromancer in the world.” He gloated proudly, a dark cloud hanging over him. “I see you found my safe place. Too bad I am going to have to kill you, and make you a member of my army. Is it not true that you don’t have your power’s my little Lottie? Such a shame, I think you could have won with ease.” A snarl curled on my lips, his words pissing me off. Clenching my fists, the scythe felt heavy in my hand. Swinging it above my head, my muscles were slowly getting used to it. Charging at me, the heel of my boot slammed into his mask. A gasp of terror escaped my lips, his face was pieces of other faces stitched together. The different patches of skin caused my face to pale, a snarl curling on his lips. 

“What are you!” I demanded hotly, fear ripe in my voice. “Why are you body parts stitched together?” Evil laughter erupted from his lips, he wasn’t evil at all but misguided. Dropping his cloak, Boran wretched next to me. Different body parts comprised his entire body, the black wool pants hugging his slender legs.  

“I gave up my body for the dark art of necromancy.” He gloated a little sadly, a familiar thump catching my attention. “This spirit gave the dark heart to  perform my spells.” Dropping my scythe, Boran looked confused beyond belief. Reaching into his chest, my hands wrapped around a black heart. No blood covered my hand, just some embalming liquids. The foul smell nauseated me, a jar catching my eyes. Tossing it in, the dark look in his eye faded. Tears welled up in his eyes, his white hair cascading down his back.  

“Now that is solved, let’s end your spell. Do you know how?” I questioned kindly, tears flooding from his eyes. “You’re my friend, so come along. We have to fix your mistakes. I think you’ll find my friendship exciting.” Boran seethed behind me, fury boiling in his veins. Harsh words waited on the tip of his tongue. 

“Why aren’t we punishing him!” He screamed venomously, Dackworth stepping back in fear. “He literally woke up a bunch of dead people.” Snapping my head back towards him, thunder shook the sky. His house began to collapse, an immense pressure coming down on me. Daggers shot between the two of them, a whistle escaping my lips. Feathscales swooped in to scoop us all up, Boran holding my scythe while holding my waist. Hot air lashed at my cheeks, Feathscales bursting through the portal. Marble crumbled, the jar weighing on my palm. The only way to stop this spell would be to destroy the heart or that was what I was at least hoping. Marble crumbled, his giant wings destroying the mausoleum on the way out. A sigh of relief poured from my lips, our friends poking their heads out of one of the other mausoleums. The corpses marched towards us, my blue scythe sliding into my eager palms. Warmth coursed through me, my powers surging through me. Boran tossed me the black scythe, both scythes floated in the air. Childlike wonder brightened our eyes, the two of them combining into one weapon. Catching it in my palms, it nearly brought me to the ground. Why did it have to be so damn heavy? Blue flames danced up the handle, white lightning bouncing off of his sword. The two of them synced, the heart swelled in the jar. Glass shattered all over the ground, a dark energy absorbing all of the corpses. Cold sweat dripped off of my brow, Feathscales dropping us off.  Blood poured from my nose, Dackworth collapsing behind us.  This had to be shut down before it would damage us all, Boran and I nodding in agreement. Launching into the air, both of our blades sank into the swelling heart. Blue flames flooded into the throbbing mass, the white lightning cooking the outside. 

“Blue flames of light! Destroy the darkness taking over these hallowed grounds!” I chanted confidently, Boran wincing in pain. “Combine with the lightning of the boar.” Silent tears of pain poured from my eyes, taking on some of his powers. A wave of energy blasted us back, breakfast threatening to visit. Maggots and rotting flesh rained down on top of us, struggling to my feet.  Spitting out the maggots, my scythe never faded away. Offering my hand to Boran, he accepted it graciously. Clutching me close to his chest, tears flooded from his eyes. 

“I am so sorry!” He apologized sadly, my fingers wiping away his tears. “I lost my temper again. We should probably help out our new friends.” Kissing his lips sweetly, both of us melting into each other’s arms. Just for a moment, it was just the two of us. Letting me go, he lifted Dackworth from the mess. Our friends flooded from their hiding spot, the mess changing into a flurry of blue rose petals.

Laying him down on a bench, his mismatched eyes fluttered open. Sitting down next to him, tears exploded from his eyes. Shock rounded out his eyes, my arms embracing him tightly. Every single emotion flooded from his bottle, the cork practically flying into the sky. Smiling warmly to myself, I knew he wasn’t bad. One heart down, and so many more to go. 

“I am a monster!” He sobbed violently, clutching me tighter. “Just kill me already! I don’t deserve to l-” Shaking my head, my finger lifted up his chin. Smiling kindly down at him, he just needed a friend in this crazy world of darkness. Clearing my throat, my fingers wiped away his tears. 

“I don’t see a monster in my arms, but someone who needs a friend. You don’t scare me, so keep your chin up.” I comforted him honestly, taking off the hat Mina gave me. “You remind me of someone from my past. Take this as a gift and be my friend.” Placing it on his head, his frightened look shattered my heart. Everyone else hung back, giving me the space I needed. Glancing up at the full moon, his trembling hand reached for my sleeve.  

“You are amazing.” He wept softly, passing out in my arms. Adjusting the rim of the worn hat, we all chose to camp out for the night. Boran sat in front of me, taking my free hand. Kissing the top of my hand, his new sword sat in his lap. 

“How is it you just make friends everywhere you go?” He teased lovingly, rubbing the back of my hand. “Perhaps you could teach me your secrets.” Chuckling to myself, we both looked up at the inky blackness filled with twinkling diamonds.

October 26, 2022 14:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.