0 comments

Fiction Mystery

The knife was found next to the body soaked with blood from the blade to the handle. The knife wasn't your typical murder weapon, this knife is used to carve a pumpkin.

Nobody deserves an ending like the one I'm seeing right now. This young lady's life didn't deserve to end with so many knife wounds. This young lady deserved to live a wonderful life with her friends and family. Who do something like this? Why would anyone do something like this?

Looking out into the crowd of on lookers I'm wondering if the killer is among them watching his/her handiwork first hand. I watch their every movement jogging down notes is I can remember them for later. Some have caught my on potential suspects.

Bria Michaels is her name, a vivacious 21 year old who was loved by the whole town including me. I love that girl. Her soul, her heart was one in a million. Bria was the kind of person who would do anything to make you smile. Bria certainly made me happy.

I've been blessed to have known Bria. I've been blessed to have had Bria as a friend and sister. I'm more determined to find who took my baby sister from me.

I take one last look at this beautiful soul and make a promise to her. "Baby sis I will get justice for you. I love you until the and of time." I let the corner take Bria away.

The last of the crowd has left Main Street expect for two people, of the two people left one of them I know. Jennifer, Bria's best friend.

Jennifer has a stoic look on her face. She doesn't come to me to give her condolences nor does she come to me and give me details on why Bria was in Main Street all by herself in the middle of the night.

The second person with Jennifer is a person I don't recognize. He is a mystery I will figure out. Jennifer and the mysterious man get into a black SUV. I hurriedly write down the license plate number.

Bria has no enemies, everyone loved her. I can't wrap my head around the fact someone wanted my sister dead. Where do I begin? My town is small, yet has a big personality.

This is the first murder to occur in Royal Oak in more than three decades. That murder was never solved. But you sure can bet I will solve my sister's murder.

Bria was a junior at the local college. I will begin there. Royal Oak College is not a big college so hopefully it should be easy to determined what happened to Bria.

I arrive at the college and all I can hear is people talking about Bria's murder. Some are saying Bria brought this upon herself, others are saying Bria did drugs and someone killed her because of it.

If there is one thing I know about Bria is that she didn't do drugs nor sell drugs. But the truth is me and Bria only speak twice a week and in that time Bria sounded happy. We talked about a lot of things and we laughed a lot.

I told Bria I was coming to Royal Oak. She was excited and so was I. Now Bria's dead, her killer is on the loose and many suspects to track down but only one of them is on the top of my list, Jennifer.

I feel it deep inside my soul that Bria's killer is in this campus. One by one I look at their faces looking for anything suspicious. It's very difficult to read people's face.

One girl I walk up to is a crying mess. I walk up to her and ask for her name. "My name is Claire. It's a shame what happened to Bria. She was an amazing person. It's a shame Bria didn't ask her sister for help."

What is Claire talking about? Me and Bria talked a couple days ago. She told me nothing about needing help and I didn't suspect she was in trouble. Bria never let on about her life. "Ask her sister for help?" Claire tells me "Rumor has it, Bria needed money but she was too afraid to ask her sister. So, Jennifer introduced her to someone who helps people with their money troubles." I can't listen to this anymore. Bria wouldn't do anything like this. Rumors that's all they are.

Next thing I do is go see Bria's dorm. I know Bria was 21 and she out lived the dorm but Bria loved the college experience, she wanted it to last.

Bria's dorm is at the edge of the campus next to the river. I thought college campus is supposed to be crowded. The only large crowd I saw was Claire and her group of friends.

My impression of Claire was not good. I believed she was being dishonest. I believe her tears were not real and that she never liked Bria. Claire knows a lot more about Bria's murder than she's letting on. Those rumors she's spreading is probably away to let the killer off the hook. Blaming the victim is not going to work.

I make it to Bria's dorm. Her room is on the 5th floor. I take the stairs. I'm on the 5th floor and standing in front Bria's room. I turn the knob and surprisingly the door is unlocked.

I enter Bria's room and what I find shocks me to my core. The room has been ransacked. Oh My God! I can't believe this. Someone was looking for something. But what?

I look at what remains of Bria's belongings, nothing is salvageable including pictures of me and Bria. I pick up one that wasn't torn, it's of me and Bria during our annual family camping trip. Tears being to come down my face. Help me Bria. Please send me a sign.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot a brown box. I walk to the box, pick it up and open it. Inside the box is a single picture. I look at the picture and immediately recognize where the picture was taken.

The picture was taken at the National Forest Falls. Bria always loved the falls. It was her favorite place. Why hide the picture? Only one way to find out. I'm going to the falls.

I quietly leave Bria's room and head back to my car. For the longest time I've been feeling like I'm being watched. I can't seem to shake it. I look behind me, to my left and to my right, no one is there. I get to to my car, in the window written in what I assume is lipstick is a message. Message reads "Get out of town or you will suffer the same fate as your sister."

Someone is watching me. They are trying to scare me. I won't let them. I take a picture of the message and wipe it off of my window. I get into my car and head to National Forest Falls.

The streets of Royal Oak are eerily quiet. This is unusual for this town. It's almost Halloween, Royal Oak is always decked out with spooky decorations, kids buying costumes. Something more is going on in this town and I suspect Bria knew about it and that's the reason why Bria was murder.

That feeling of being watched is hitting me once again. I look out the window, nothing is there. I can't shake the feeling someone is following me from a distance.

I finally arrive at National Forest. I grab my belongings picture included and walk to the falls. I'm at the falls. The falls are so beautiful. It takes you right in and lets you escape from your life.

I take out the picture. Bria was standing over there near the water. I walk their and stand on the spot Bria stood on. What are you trying to say baby girl? I look at the picture closely and realize Bria took a picture of the falls. Okay this doesn't make any sense. One way to find out.

I walk to the falls and to my amazement there is a cave behind the falls. What is this? I climb into the cave and walk in. I look around and hiding between two rocks is a brown journal. I pick up the journal and open it.

Oh My God! Bria, this is why you were murder. My poor Bria, you were just looking for the truth. I was right about you. Those rumors were just trying to paint you in a bad light and this proves it.

What was that? "Are you sure she went this way?" I knew someone is following me. "Yes, I saw her." I know that voice and it's not Jennifer. It's Claire. Who is the other person?

Shit! What am I going to do? I put the journal in my bag. I carefully look out of the cave, two people are at the end of the trail. I can make it back to my car. I climb down from the cave and oh so very carefully and quietly make my way to my car. I get into my car and breathe a sigh of relief.

"You found Bria's journal? I look behind me and see Jennifer. "What are you doing here?" I angrily look at Jennifer. "I had nothing to do with Bria's murder. I'm sorry Cassie. I should have come to you but I was scared. Bria uncovered a murder for hire plot involving the mayor. She didn't tell me all the details. Bria told me enough to know she was in danger."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Murder for hire involving the mayor. "Cassie, Mayor Jenkins is being investigate for fraud, money laundering, extortion, murder and rape. Some of the people we go to college with are involved with the mayor."

"How was Bria involved?" Jennifer turns away from me. Tears being to come down her face. "Please Jennifer, tell me."

"It's my fault Bria is dead. She was helping me. Bria was trying to save me from the mayor. Mayor Jenkins raped me. I told my parents, they didn't believe me, in fact no one believed me expect for Bria. Bria was determined to expose the mayor. In the end they made an example out of her."

My heart breaks for Jennifer. No one deserves what she's going through. I'm really proud of Bria for doing what nobody else could do. Justice is coming Bria.

"Go Cassie! Leave Royal Oak." I hit the gas pedal. "Where are we going?" I ask Jennifer. "My friend Asher is a journalist. He's been investigating Mayor Jenkins for a year. I trust him so did Bria."

"He's the one I saw you with." Jennifer nods. "Go faster Cassie." I hit the gas pedal real hard. I weave in and out of the lanes. Damn! The car is still behind me. Shit! What am I going to do? "Hold on Jennifer." I make a sharp right turn, go up a dirt road and stop in front of some trees.

"What are we going to do? They are coming." I grab my bag, pull Jennifer out of the car. "Hide don't make a sound." Jennifer hides behind some bushes. I grab a large stick and hide behind the tree.

The car carrying Claire and an unknown male stops behind my car. They get out of the car and walk to my car. I quietly sneak up to the unknown male and hit him over the head. Then I silently sneak up on Claire and hit her over the head.

"Are they dead?" I shake my head. "They are unconscious. What are you looking for?" Jennifer bends down and searches Claire. She takes out a knife, a pumpkin carving knife.

"This knife was used to kill Bria." I see Jennifer raise the knife in the air ready to strike Claire. "Don't be like them. Bria wouldn't want you to be a killer like them. Please Jennifer, give me the knife."

"I miss Bria so much. She just wanted to help me." Jennifer falls down crying. I go to her and hug her. "We will get through this together." Jennifer nods. I pick up the knife and put it in a plastic bag.

"What is that noise?" Jennifer gets up from the ground and tells me "I called Asher and told him what is happening."

"Are you okay Jen?" Jennifer nods. I see more people coming. "Who are these people?" I ask. "FBI. You must be Cassie." I nod.

"If Bria trusted you so do I. Here is the evidence." I hand the journal to Asher. "Thank you."

SIX MONTHS LATER

Bria, you did it. The mayor and half the town are in jail. Royal Oak is slowly rebuilding. Jennifer is slowly getting her life back with my help of course.

Not a day goes by when I don't miss you. I can never get the image of you lying dead out of my head. It's a horror I will never forget. I will cherish all the good times we had together.

I love you and miss you. Keep me safe until we meet again Bria Lynn Michaels. Fly on the wings of an Angel, my Angel.

October 27, 2022 20:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.