Origin of Invisible Woman and Human Torch

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

Frost Green was a normal middle-school student. She was the average height, had blue eyes, freckles, and brown hair. She had friends (but not a lot) and enemies. She was normal. That is, until a year ago.

Frost was suntanning out on her driveway, with sunglasses on and a hot, blue-fringe bikini. She was laying on her towel and winking at the cute boys that passed by, when she saw someone walking across the street-Tyler Higgins. Shoot.

Tyler Higgins harassed Frost all he wanted in the School Year, and now that it was summer, it was his favorite pastime. As long as Frost was outside, she had no escape from his pest-ness.

I wish I was invisible she thought. Suddenly, frost felt a tingly sensation, and looked down at her stomach, wondering if she had a sunburn. Her stomach, however, was gone. So were her legs, arms, face, and hair. The only thing see able was the odd sight of a floating fringe bikini.

Frost gasped in awe at her newfound strategy to avoid Tyler. Tyler walked past Frost, who sat, unnoticed, against her towel, hoping that it would just look like they were drying a bathing suit out on the driveway.

Tyler fell for it.

When he was out of sight, Frost leapt up, celebrating that she had successfully avoided Tyler Higgins. But now that she felt she didn't need to be invisible, the power wore off, and Frost was herself again, cheering and dancing in the driveway like no one was watching.

For the next few days, Frost forgot about her abilities, and only used the to avoid Tyler. She noted that there was no better way to use them. Her younger brother, Bobby, was the only person she had told about her invisibility, and he just teased her.

"Look, it's the invisible woman! Are you going on a honeymoon with the invisible man?! Wait, sis, can you make other stuff invisible?!!"

Frost ignored her brother, but he got her thinking- what if she could do more than just hide from Tyler Higgins?

So Frost got to work, observing her powers and trying to see if she could do more with them. It took a fateful day when Bobby threw a toy truck at her to figure it out.

"I hate your guts!" Bobby screamed. "Give it back, Frost Carol Green, or I'm telling MOM!!"

"No!" Frost yelled, clutching Bobby's beloved video game controller. "You promised me to give me all your dessert this week! I haven't got a thing!"

"When did I promise you?!" Bobby yelped.

"On a dare, remember!" Frost yelled, exasperated. "I eat a jalapeno, and I get dessert! I won your dessert fair and square, Bobby Jenkins Green!!"

Bobby fumed as Frost said his middle name. Frost stopped dead and clapped her hand over her mouth. Now she was going to get it.

Bobby seized a nearby truck from a bin in his room and chucked it as hard as he could at his sister.

Frost screamed and threw her hands in front of her face. But her hands did more than protect her-they emitted a shield. The truck bounced off the powerful shield and was flung back towards Bobby. Bobby dove aside just as the truck hit the wall behind him, smashing into little bits.

Bobby jumped up and stared at his horrified sister, who was examining her hands.

"AWESOME!!" he exclaimed, climbing over the furniture to get to Frost, forgetting about the fight that had been going on.

Frost looked at her hands, bending each finger as if waiting for it to explode. Bobby managed to jump over his pile of dirty clothes and finally reach his sister.

Frost was amazed and alarmed at her new ability. She gathered all her energy, closed her eyes, and threw her hands in front of her. A blast of energy shot out, knocking Bobby back. When Frost opened her eyes, the energy had formed a shield in front of her. It was amazing.

Bobby, who had toppled into his bed from the force, sat up, a crazed smile plastered on his face.

"Oh MAN!!" he shrieked.

"It's not...dangerous?" Frost asked, wincing.

"Heck, yeah!" Bobby said. "Frost, you got a gift!"

Frost lowered her hands and gave Bobby a weak smile. "Th-thanks."

"Your welcome!" Bobby puffed his chest proudly. "Now I just need powers, and then we'll be super-siblings!!"

Frost laughed. "Perhaps..." Frost paused.

Bobby cocked his head. "What?"

Frost grabbed Bobby'swrist and pressed her fingers on his temple.

Focus..

Bobby's eyes widened as he saw a surge of light flow from Frost's head to her hand, into his neck. He shook Frost off of him.

"What'd you do!!" he yelled, his tone demanding.

Frost smiled. "Do the same as me. Watch."

Frost swung her hand up and held it steady. She looked like a statue. Bobby did the same, throwing much force into the swing. He suddenly felt a tingle sensation in his palm. He looked up at his hand. A ball of fire had appeared, flaming. Slowly, the fire spread down Bobby's arm, into his chest, and across his body. Soon, Bobby was covered in flames.

"I--I'm on FIRE!!!" Bobby yelled, excited. "EPIC!!"

Frost smiled. "I just found another new power of mine. And I gave it to you."

"Fire!" Bobby exclaimed happily. His flames died down as he turned to his sister. "How..?"

"When I did the force field, I looked in your mirror," Frost said, nodding towards the mirror on the other end of Bobby's room. "I saw my nose on fire. I decided that that was one power I could do without." She smiled at Bobby. "So I gave it to you."

"Thanks!" Bobby said, waving his hands around.

Bobby bit his lip, biting back a smile. "Let's test me-I mean, my powers- out!"

"Okay."

The siblings ran down the stairs, and passed their kitchen, where their Dad was sitting, looking glum.

Frost signaled Bobby to stop. "Hi, Dad. What's up?"

"Oh, hi, kids. Nothing you could fix. The indoor barbecue isn't working. I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong!"

"Can I have a look?" Bobby ran past Frost, and went to examine the barbecue. He looked around, made sure his dad wasn't looking, and threw a small ball of fire in the appliance. It lit up in a flash.

"There, Dad," Bobby said, smiling. His dad turned.

"BOBBY!!" He exclaimed, jumping out of his seat. "How-how did you-"

"Just a circuit problem," Bobby lied, winking at Frost.

Bobby left his puzzled Dad in the kitchen, and he followed his sister out into the front yard.

Frost glanced around, made sure no one was watching, and turned invisible. Bobby threw a ball of fire down the sewer. He lifted his face up from looking down the sewer, smiling. Frost faded back to normal.

Bobby lit his hand up. "I'm... the Human Torch!!"

Frost grinned. "Okay Human Torch. I'm Invisible Woman. Let's go do some good in the world."

July 02, 2020 17:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anika Goyal
05:08 Jul 09, 2020

Fantastic story You used many powerful adjectives which made your story very interesting Also, your usage of words was really good

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.