Forever Good Night

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Start your story with a home alarm system going off.... view prompt

20 comments

Creative Nonfiction Bedtime Romance

“He forgot to turn the damn alarm off again.” She said this aloud through gritted teeth as she threw off the covers, but there was no one there to hear her.


As she stomped down the stairs, she tried to remember just how many times this had happened in the last month. Her husband always left for work early. He was the first one out of the bed in the morning, and she was the last one in it at night. It’d been that way since they married.


She entered the four-digit code and the alarm stopped. A voice from the base, which she referred to as “Bitchin’ Betty” said, “Alarm off. An alarm was triggered by an entry sensor.” Like she needed to be told one more time the details of this infuriating routine. She was mad, and when she finally found her phone, she let her husband know.


“You forgot to turn off the alarm. Again.” That would show him.


He always responded with apologies, and occasionally a story about the circumstances that led to his having done so. But it didn’t seem to have any effect. He was in a season of forgetfulness.


She had explained to him several times that as a writer, she did her best work in the late hours of the evening or even the wee hours of the morning. And as a sleeper, she did her best work, usually, from a few hours before sunrise, to ten. Some mornings even later.


Well, she’d had it. They were going to hash this out tonight. His morning work-focus was resulting in selfish inconsideration of her, and they were going to get into it tonight when he got home.


In her stewing, she realized the alarm was not the only thing she was upset about. His damnable snoring would either keep her awake, or wake her up through the night. They had talked. She had pleaded with him to have a sleep study so they could see if he needed a CPAP machine. He had made it clear he didn’t want to go to bed every night looking like a fighter pilot. But he had agreed to try a nose strip.


It was a flimsy metal strip covered in medical fabric. The strip had a very sticky side so it would adhere to the nose. He’d been wearing one for some time, and she’d even tried it. She breathed better through the night, but his wearing one didn’t help him all that much. Or her. She would admit his snoring didn’t wake her as often, but she rarely slept through the night.


Or the morning. When he left without disarming the damn alarm.


When he got home from work, she was waiting. And ready. But she postponed until they’d had dinner to raise her complaint. And then it was on.


They had never been any good at talking about the tough stuff. They just ended up fighting. And they were no good at that either. Words they never meant to say always spewed out and scratched each other’s hearts. And stuff they thought they’d forgiven were raised from the dead. They never really got anywhere. Oh, complaints about the alarm and the snoring were mentioned, but those couldn’t hold center stage very long, and their attention quickly went to some other gripe.


In the end, he stormed out for a walk. He’d do this when they’d hit the wall arguing. It was good for his health; well for them both. Their heartrates braked, and they were forced to spend some time apart.


He had come home just before his normal time for bed. After setting the alarm, which he regretted had caused all this trouble in the first place, they had a brief, but polite, no-eye-contact exchange.


“Hi.”


“Hi.”


“I’m going to bed.”


“Okay.”


She worked on her novel for a little over two hours. In the section she penned, the main character owned up to a mistake he’d made in a relationship. At least half her writing time had been spent trying to get her character to apologize, but he wouldn’t, at least, not in an acceptable way. Fatigued and defeated, she began climbing the stairs to her bedroom.


When she opened the door, slowly, as to not disturb her sleeping husband, she realized the room was quiet. As fear can make one do, she had several thoughts before the door had moved even a few inches. Maybe her husband had jumped out the window? Could he have died of a heart attack? Would she find him stone cold in the bed?


But when the door was completely open, she discovered him lying awake, staring at his phone.


“Hey, I couldn’t sleep,” he said to her.


“Sorry,” was all she said as she walked by to the bathroom. While she brushed her teeth, she realized she would really like to stay mad, because he deserved a little wrath, but also that the steam had gone out of it. And his words had been about sleep, but his tone had been apology. She put on her nose strip and decided she was willing, if he was, to talk more rationally, about issues instead of feelings.


They spent the next hour sharing kindness from their hearts. She loved this man so, and knew he loved her, too. She thought about how she might have to get out of bed and turn the alarm off again in the morning, but at this moment, the thought didn’t make her angry. She was pretty sure she’d be able to do it out of love.


When they felt sure they’d said all they needed to, she turned out her bedside lamp, casting the room into darkness. They laid, still, in the bed for a few minutes, then did the blanket cuddle, getting themselves into their best, individual, fall-asleep position. And then a few minutes later, they were both on their backs again, staring at the ceiling. He finally asked her if it would be too weird for them to go for a walk together. It didn’t seem weird to her at all.


They ambled down their street, hand in hand. At the intersection, they crossed over into one of the city’s parks; a favorite walking loop. Not long after they’d entered the park, her phone rang.


“It’s two-thirty in the morning. Who could be calling me?” she said as she dug the phone from her jeans front pocket.


“I’m not answering. I don’t know this number. It’s from New Jersey.”


It was probably fatigue, but there was a bit of frustration in her voice. They hadn’t taken 25 steps and it rang again. Same number. Even more frustration.


They continued the loop and when they had walked through the turnaround, they could see their house. And flashlights. And police cruisers. 


“It must have been the alarm company. We forgot to turn it off when we left the house,” he said as they picked up their pace.


They talked, a little breathlessly, about how they were going to walk up on two officers at two-something in the morning after they’d been called to a tripped home alarm.


From a pretty good distance, she called out, “Officers.”


She had had to say it again to get their attention. There were two of them, and when they got into their driveway, each officer shone a light in one of their faces. She explained they were the home-owners and how they'd left the house without turning off the alarm. The policemen were understanding and wished them a safe and calm rest of the night.


When they got inside, he had a sudden realization. “We must have been a sight,” he began, “walking up on them in the dark like that. And we still had our nose strips on!”


They got tickled over the thought. The late hour and the accompanying exhaustion turned the moment into the simples and they laughed so hard they were barely able to breathe, in spite of their nose-strips.


Having finally calmed down, they turned out the downstairs lights and made their way, together, to climb the stairs for the last time this evening. When they got to the base of the stairs, he thought she, being in front, would turn on the stairwell light. But instead, she took the first step, turned and faced him eye to eye, and said, “I love you, mister, I always will.”


She put her arms around him, and he returned the gesture. They kissed a few times and then held a long hug. He opened his eyes and pulled away so they could begin the climb, and that’s when he saw the dark figure dart from their bedroom across the hall to the guest room.

January 27, 2023 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Aeris Walker
01:57 Feb 10, 2023

Oo that ending! I liked how much of this probably rings true for many couples. Someone’s a night owl/early bird, someone’s forgetful, someone’s quick to forgive and good at holding grudges, etc. And I’m sure anyone with an alarm system can relate to something going wrong! Smooth read and fun twist ending! I enjoyed it.

Reply

Mike Rush
16:54 Feb 10, 2023

Aeris, Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I'm ashamed to say how much of this story is true. My leaving the alarm ringing with my wife in bed, while I'm driving away from the house is. And, well, the nose strips and and cops. Yeah, I didn't make that up. Now I'm off to read one of yours. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:44 Jul 12, 2023

Ha ha. Loved it. What an ending! So sounds like my husband and me. (except that I won't be dragged into an argument and I will still go to sleep easily)

Reply

Mike Rush
11:42 Jul 13, 2023

Kaitlyn, What an absolute treat that you've read a gaggle of my pieces. I don't know if you've had this writing experience, but this was one of those for me where I knew the ending I was driving at and then when I got there something came from my writing brain and when into the story that I had no idea was coming. I was a startled and chilled by the last sentence as any reader might be. What a joy it is to write.

Reply

23:11 Jul 13, 2023

Yes I understand what you are saying here. Characters have a mind of their own. It's like the story is already there and all you have to do is write it without thinking. I do follow a plan in my mind but what comes out sometimes is surprising.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cheyenne Spicer
22:55 Jun 08, 2023

The relationship is so real and relatable, I feel the frustration and the love. The ending gave me chills, so great!

Reply

Mike Rush
14:43 Jun 10, 2023

Cheyenne, I'm just getting to responding to comments, forgive my delay. I'm so grateful for your comment. You know, there's been such a mix of responses to the ending. One person felt it was cheesy, but I've heard at least two gasps when I've read this aloud. And there were others like yours...chilling. The coolest part to me is, as a writer, I had no idea this would end as it did until I wrote the words. It was an offbeat love story, and then suddenly it wasn't.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:01 Apr 25, 2023

Ah, the alarm was doing its job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Aanestad
20:35 Apr 22, 2023

Hey Mike! I started with your newest submission and am ending with your first one. I've loved seeing the different themes and tones you've had in each of your stories. I love how this one started, especially the part about her being a writer and how she was trying to get her character to apologize. This could be a story on its own! A writer, mad at her husband but unable to talk about it, trying to get her character to apologize but not being able to because it's her husband who she really needs to talk to. It could end with her going crazy ...

Reply

Mike Rush
14:40 Jun 10, 2023

Amanda, I'm a little late, but wanted to thank you for your comments. That was my favorite line too! Not as much because it's fun to read, but because it's one of those, I never thought I'd write this, didn't know this line was in me, kind of lines. What a joy writing becomes when that happens. I wish it would happen more often!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
18:33 Feb 02, 2023

Hi Mike, welcome to Reedsy! Great unexpected cranking up of the tension. You never know a good thing (even a snoring one in nose strips) under the dark figure (whatever that might be) darts into view. Well done, got my heckles nicely up!

Reply

Mike Rush
21:44 Feb 02, 2023

Thank so much for commenting, Rebecca. This was such fun to write and truth be told, a bit of this actually happened. No one would guess, probably, that it's the bit about the early morning walk in nose strips and the cops at the house. Thanks, too, for your kind welcome to this place. I've so enjoyed being here and I'm just starting. Now, I'm off to read one of yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hirusikan V
11:59 Feb 02, 2023

"He saw the dark figure dart from their bedroom across the hall to the guest room", What is the meaning of this, did he see a ghost. If you could can you explain this to me?

Reply

Mike Rush
16:26 Feb 02, 2023

Thanks for commenting Hirusikan! Yes, it's a mystery isn't it? I wanted readers here at this point to fill that in for themselves. What has this guy seen? An apparition? A monster? A menacing criminal? I hope different readers will fill in there whatever they find terrifying. For some that may be a ghost. For others, it's a serial killer. Let the imagination begin!

Reply

Hirusikan V
12:49 Feb 06, 2023

Wow, I like your thinking

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
03:46 Feb 02, 2023

Oh my God, my heart stopped for a few moments! Very nice twist. I like their relationship. It's realistic and heartwarming. And their characters are both likeable. Well done!

Reply

Mike Rush
16:28 Feb 02, 2023

Thanks so much Rama. Here at Reedsy, we get to throw writing into the wind and I wonder if this mess will make sense to anyone. I'm delighted to learn it pressed your enjoyment button. Now I gotta go read yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
05:47 Jan 31, 2023

Ack! End scare got me, dang it! Nicely played! I really enjoyed the story, Mike! Thanks for sharing it this week, and welcome to the site!

Reply

Mike Rush
13:38 Jan 31, 2023

Thanks so much, Wendy. Yours is officially my first comment! I’m in! I jumped over and read one of yours. Now I’m following. I’ll retire soon, and knew I’d be investing more time in writing; now I wonder if I’ll soon be addicted to this site.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:16 Jan 31, 2023

Anecdotally, YES! :) My pleasure, Mike!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.