9 comments

General

I often wonder what was my purpose in life. I seem to be constantly surrounded by people with outstanding talents and achievements. When I compare myself to them I feel small and worthless, a waste of space.

That was before I found the one thing that gave me a little bit of hope. The one thing I could hold onto that I felt made me stand out. It might not amount to much, but it amounted to me. What's my special thing? Well...It's writing.

I recently discovered my joy in creating stories to share with others. I might not be the best or even good, but I enjoy laying out these ideas so my brain can feel a little less full. Without writing, my brain is like a stagnant lake. The ideas are muddy and floating aimlessly. Writing allows that lake to start to drain, letting everything flow nicely.

Now, what is all this leading up to you might ask? I got my clear idea of what I should and want to be doing, Right?... Wrong! Writing is just the beginning. I can lay my ideas out in a way that can be understood and read by anyone interested and call it a day. That much is easy, but the hardest thing is telling myself if it's good enough for me.

Numerous times I work on stories only for me to delete a solid paragraph or more. Why?... Why did I just do that I asked myself? It's not good enough, I told myself. This would go on and repeat itself throughout whatever I am writing. Was it truly not good enough or was I just scared? Was I Scared that I might receive criticism on my work so I just kept putting it off? Maybe that was the reason I subconsciously kept delaying my story.

Criticism can be scary to think about. It's like a dark demon that aims to leap into my mind and steal all my ideas away. It tells me that my work is meaningless and asks me why am I doing this.

"Don't you have better things to be doing?" it says.

"I like doing this, it's fun," I replied.

"Really!?" the demon laughs. "Do you really think your work will matter in the end?" it remarks.

"I guess it won't really matter," I say in defeat.

"That's right, it won't! Go back to something easier," it finishes.

The demon is constantly nagging me and it wins many of the battles. However, I have acquired something that will aid me in future fights! My new weapon of choice is called "Confidence". Do I really need to listen to some demon telling me that I can't do something? No way! I deserve the right to decide something like that for myself!

That once scary demon has changed into an imp now. It seems like I thought he was more dangerous than he actually is. I'm actually pretty scared of the things that can come my way, but I now see there aren't any rewards without taking some risks. Time to turn this in!

*Cricket*

*Cricket*

*Cricket*

This long period of silence was unlike any I have ever experienced. I tried to take a moment to regain myself, but it was too late! There in the distance, I heard thundering footsteps approach my position. I had no idea what it was at all. I tried to make a run for it only to notice that my legs weren't working! As I was trying to escape, I could hear what sounded like a mountain coming closer and closer. Before I knew anything, a massive demon stood before me. I had to crane my neck at about 90 degrees to see his face. When I did, I almost fainted.

This large demon wasn't like the others. He had a golden crown on his head and a deep black cape waving off his back. He was THE demon! The one who ruled them all. He went by the name of "Doubt".

"Bahahaha!" Doubt laughed thunderously. "That's far enough. Submit to me and I will make life easy for you as one of my henchmen," Doubt said.

"I'll never join you! I'd rather die!" I replied.

"Oooh, I am more than capable of giving you that too! Give in and lead an easy life, or suffer in agony!" Doubt yelled.

"I stand by my choice," I said without a hint of hesitation.

"Is that so?" Doubt said with a fake smile.

In the next moment, I saw Doubt's red arm come crashing down towards me. It wasn't looking so good. I used Confidence in my earlier fight with that demon and I can't use it for a little while! I have no idea how I am going to survive this! All I can do is hope I can make it out!

Doubt's hand moved in to crush me. Just as I was about to be squashed, a ball of white began to form around me. I didn't have time to guess what it was since as soon as it formed all the demons started to cry out in pain.

"Aaargh! What did you do to me!" Doubt said while in pain.

I didn't have any words to says as was just as surprised as he was. I wasn't able to think about it for too long before I noticed a white gate form a little ways away from me. I need to get over there!

It was easy to say, but my legs still didn't listen to me. They were still under the influence of Doubt. I tried with all of my might and yet I could not move. Why won't I move? I need to get over there. I tried and tried even more. This time, my body started to move a little bit. It was so tiring that every step I took made me feel like I was one step closer to death. And yet I continued to head towards the gate.

This pain feels like it is indicating an untimely end. Even If I do die from this, it shouldn't be here. No...No! I'm not dying anywhere! I have so much I need and want to do! I'm going to make it and show everyone what else I can do!

The journey was long and painful, but I finally arrive at the white gate. I looked back to see the demons still in pain from that white orb. Heh... serves you right. I took once last look at them before I stepped through.

I was brought back to the world I was familiar with. The world where my loved ones live. I happen to look at my screen and see my story. No longer are they just words in my head. It is an experience being shared with others.

I guess it wasn't such a big deal after all! I just had to click submit.

July 11, 2020 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Corey Melin
00:36 Jul 13, 2020

Enjoyed the story that we all experience at first and sometimes forever. Great read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sjan Evardsson
02:23 Jul 23, 2020

Fun read! I think we all know this particular demon (and his henchman Procrastination)! The story is fun, and manages to be lighthearted despite the dark imagery. Little quibbles: You have a sentence "I took once last look at them before I stepped through." <- Should probably be "... one last look ..."? In a few places you switch tenses, sometimes in the same sentence, mixing present and past tense. A careful read-through should point those out. Back to the good stuff: You've got the ideas, you've got a solid story. Keep writing, rea...

Reply

Brandon Johnson
02:31 Jul 23, 2020

I'm glad you liked it! I'll look at my stories more carefully in the future. Thanks for pointing it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M J
17:17 Jul 18, 2020

Hey Brandon! I really enjoyed how relatable your story was. I know that I always doubt my work, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Reply

Brandon Johnson
17:56 Jul 18, 2020

Thanks for reading it. It always easy to tell yourself your work isn't good enough, but there are always people out there looking for something you made.

Reply

M J
18:54 Jul 18, 2020

That's a good point, Brandon. Speaking of which, thanks for liking my story! Can I ask you how you found it? I thought that my story hadn't been approved yet, so no one could see it.

Reply

Brandon Johnson
18:58 Jul 18, 2020

Stories are still visible to other members. They are only visible on the contest page when they have been approved or so I think.

Reply

M J
19:01 Jul 18, 2020

Ohhh, so you found it by going to my profile? That makes more sense. Thanks for your help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
T.M. Kay
18:42 Jul 14, 2020

How true this story is. That submit button can be so intimidating. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.