10 comments

Drama Fantasy Mystery

'Where did you three took off to? Why didn't you call me? Do you have any idea how scared I was? I even filed a missing complaint. But no! neither the father nor his children have an answer for me.', it has been a week since Nanagrjun's (Arjun) initiation ceremony. A week since the three set out saying that they would come back for dinner, only returned three days later. Lakshmi was worried, she called for her neighbors seeeking thir help. They searched every nook and cranny of the nabe, but for their despondency nobody has come across them the whole day. Later that night, she filed a missing report, and the following day the court took cognizance of the matter. Three days later, on Sunday evening they returned home, Arjun overwhelmed by all the information he learnt of his father's secret society and the enmity between him and his brothers. He went to his room and locked himself, leaving his father and sister to deal with the commotion. This sudden change of behavior in her son;s was not acceptable for Lakshmi. she kept asking about the evening whenever she could.

'Lakshmi its nothing... we went for a long drive to Munnar. It was freezing cold there and Arjun felt sick so we stayed back for a day. It's really a long distance, winking at her, if you have forgotten.', Lakshmi belonged to Munnar, she and Venkatesh eloped from there and were in hiding for nearly 5 years from her family, though they could not hide from his. It was only after the birth of Janaki that her family members accepted them. Neither Lakshmi nor her family were aware of Venkatesh's roots,

'Those who sworne to secrecy with blood would bleed blood for breaking it.', were the parting words of his brother, who found him within two days after eloping with Lakshmi. This memory till date sends chills accross his spine. Though he wished to get away from the organization, and the deep rooted dirty secrets involved with it, he had no option but to meet them every month to protect her. The truth is that he was scared of all of them, especially his brothers. He never wanted his children to be part of this and now his own son would have to undergo the same confusion and difficulties as he did. Things were simple when it was Janaki's turn but now with the leadership in question, he had to make ensure that the position is his and not Muthaliyar's, his third brother.

'Do you think I am blind? Our son has changed ever since that trip of yours! he has started to hide things from me like you and your daughter. Are you trying to take even my son away from me?' Lakshmi was furious, being the only person in the family being kept in the dark. She was determined to know what was going on and her suspicion got stronger day they withdrew the complaint on the false pretext that they visited their grandparents. When in reality she had to explain to the clueless grandparents about the false whereabout about their grandchildren. 'Will you just stop it Amma? You keep asking us where we were! why can't you just accept we were with grandpa and grandma.', Arjun who was listening to their conversation next room suddenly responded with anger and contempt towards his mother. He has been this way towards her whole week, ever since he got back. He hated her or perhaps was disappointed in her and believed it was because of her that he was not been accepted and welcomed at the organization. Tut... Venkatesh slapped Arjun for speaking disrespectfully towards his mother, who was in tears and weeping at her son's behavior, who had once loved her so much and listened to her every words.

Arjun was dragged out the house,while his mother wept asking where he was taking him and before she could reach them Venkatesh drove off again without answering her, this time without Janaki. 'What is wrong with you? She is your mother Nagarjun, How disrespectful. I am ashamed of you.' said Venkatesh angrily

'And what about your whole family? They are ashamed of you.', Arjun never tried to control his angush replied to Vakatesh with same hatred he showed Lakshmi.

'How dare you?' They were both very angry at each other and Venkatesh was so shocked that he stopped the car abruptly. He had always known that Arjun would face difficulties because of their family but he never imagined him to lose his cool on his mother or be ashamed of his parents. The second week of initiation we due and neither of them were looking forward for this. The last week he were there, Venkatesh's brothers had used every opportunity to criticise his father's decision infornt of him, mocked him for the actions of his father and blamed him for his total cluelessness. Arjun was not a bright student even in school but he certainly wasn't an idiot. He was smarter but laid out than rest but here infront of all the shame and blame he wanted to try his best, despite the skepital remarks from his uncles.

Legimenanthi, the organization with its vast outreach that can control the whole world. An organization of humoid-aliens, but the name is not symbolised for their alien connection but a domination to control the world. The organization works one motto and one intention, Legal ownership of mankind, to retain and regain their control over human behavior and mutation on this planet. They had always considered themself far greater than humans but even after 500 years of preparation they had failed to establish their authority over humans. Their plans found near success during 1940s when the world was in great peril that was witnessed. They had planned to control humans with the warship but with the formation of an international community with the objective of attaining peace, their intentions were spoiled but for something better. Its formation enabled them to connect with other members of their family more efficiently and provided them with a yet another corporate masks, they have been working within and towards the community in every segments.

Understanding the viel and their working seemed a joke to Arjun, and yet he felt very excited the first day with the alien invasion stories that rock started the lives on this planet. But a moment when the excitement got the better out of him made him the center of joke for the rest of the days. 'Appa! Appa! Amma would be very much excited when she gets to know Maamas are not angry with us. We should have brought her too she would have been shocked to she them with us.', the child-like excitement of arjun disappeared the next moment when they spilled the beans about the so called betrayal of Venkatesh towards his ancestors when he married Lakshmi. But what infuriated Arjun was the dumb face of his father when the room was filled with laughters at the scandals about their forbidden relation. Their laughter was only broken by a video conference with the Alexanderia Family of the organisation. Mr. Alex was accompanied by his younger son who was instantly loved by everyone, only the son seem to have been interested in the red teary faced Arjun sitting alone before the initiation table. They had planned to over throw the government and wanted them to protest against any policy of the government. The conference lasted only for few minutes, the difference in the treatment towards two boys of same age seem to have affected Arjun deeply.

Vekatesh drove the car to their family home, he didn't have any answers for Arjun, the truth is he had blamed himself for all the misfortune. They entered the room expecting for a yet another week of torments and few minutes after their arrival Venkatesh received a call from Alex he wanted his younger son to be part of the day's process. It hardly took 20 minutes when Alex was teleported to Madhura base. But unlike the expectations Tyler was very compassionate towards him and may be the evening may pass without any humiliation.

August 26, 2020 12:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

B. W.
22:28 Sep 17, 2020

i really liked this ^^ im giving this a 10/10

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
04:25 Sep 18, 2020

😄great thanks

Reply

B. W.
04:32 Sep 18, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
05:29 Sep 01, 2020

Great story! I loved the detail.

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
06:38 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:03 Sep 01, 2020

Great job! I liked this story just as much as part 1. I´m not sure if you clarified this in the other story but are these characters' names in a different language? Or are they just unique English names? Anyways, great story! I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
21:24 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you 😊, they are Indian names and I have tried to make a connection with a different country to prove the outreach of the organisation, thus Alexandrian family.

Reply

21:30 Sep 01, 2020

Of course! That's super cool how you did that! I loved the names! They were so unique.

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
21:33 Sep 01, 2020

😄 thank you

Reply

21:41 Sep 01, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.