The Forest Fairy

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Funny

I stare at my prey, trying to think of the funniest prank I can pull on him. What about luring him into the pond, where he then gets covered in mud? That would be hilarious. I decide to go with that one, and I fly over the tree tops and land at the pond. I start singing, and I can hear the boy running towards the pond, trying to find the source of the singing. As soon as he breaks through the trees, I fly up and watch him from above as he slips and slides in the mud, and then face plants in it. I laugh so much. That is so hilarious. He looks ridiculous!

I watch a beautiful young maiden walking through the trees, and I fly from tree to tree following her. And then I see him. A young man, waiting for this maiden to arrive. I grin. This is perfect. I rush forward and hide in the trees where they're about to meet. She arrives, and he smiles. It isn't long before they're wrapped in each other's arms and kissing passionately. I change my voice to a mother's voice and start yelling. "So this is where you've been, you foolish little girl! You are in so much trouble miss! Come home at once!"

The girl starts panicking, and shoves the boy away and runs for her life in the direction she just came. The boy takes the hint as well and bolts in the opposite direction. I laugh hysterically. Oh that was brilliant. Imagine the look on the girl's face when she realises her mother has no idea about her little affair.

I sit on a rock next to the pond and stretch my shimmery silver wings. I start humming to myself, and fix a blue flower into my hair. This was such a fun day. I can't wait for tomorrow, and I can do more pranks.

"Who are you?"

I jump into the air, spinning around to see who just spoke. My eyes land on a young man, who is staring at me in awe. He's quite handsome, actually, with his floppy brown hair and bright emerald eyes. "Who are you?" he repeats.

"I'm the forest fairy, thank you very much. And who are you?"

"I'm just a guy from the town east of this forest."

"Yes, but you didn't tell me your name." I flick my hair impatiently.

"You didn't tell me yours either."

"I asked you first," I say with a huff.

"I actually asked you first, thank you very much."

I glare at him. "Fine. My name is Aurora."

"My name is Griffin."

"Well there you go. Now we know each other's names. Happy now?"

Griffin smiles. "Yep, I'm happy."

I roll my eyes. "Good for you."

"Has anyone ever told you that you are amazingly beautiful?"

I try to hide the blush creeping up my cheeks. "No, they haven't."

"Well they're obviously blind, cos you are gorgeous."

"No, they're not blind, you're just the first human to ever see me."

His jaw drops open. "What? How?"

"Well, no one is as stupid as you to go walking around the forest at night. I keep myself hidden in the trees during the day."

"Wow."

I glare at him again. "Wow what?"

"I just can't believe I'm the first person to ever see you. Doesn't it ever get lonely by yourself?"

"What makes you think I'm lonely?"

"Because I'd be lonely if I were all by myself all the time."

I float down to the ground and plant my feet softly on the ground. "Yeah, it does get lonely. But why should you care?"

"Because I think I know what love at first sight is now."

I can't control my blush any longer. It creeps up my cheeks and turns my pale skin bright pink. "It's just my appearance. My looks are meant to draw you in, trap you. What your feeling isn't real. It will go away once you leave my presence."

He crosses his arms stubbornly. "Let's test that theory then, shall we? I'll come back tomorrow night, same time, and you can ask me then how I felt about you during the day."

"I agree to your test."

He gives me a small smile, and turns on his heel and walks away. My heart is beating a million miles a minutes. My gosh. Have I just fallen for a human?

The next day, my mind is so preoccupied with Griffin that I forget to disrupt the maiden's kissing session with her boy. Instead, I just look at my reflection in the pond and curse it. Curse my long, curly brown hair. Curse my crystal blue eyes. Curse my slender figure, curse my flowy green dress and my soft skin. Curse this. Why did I have to fall for a human?

Griffin returns the same time as last night. "Hello," I say softly.

"Hello," he replies.

"So? How did you feel, um, about me uh, during the day?"

He stares at me, which makes my heart sink. He doesn't love me, even though I've fallen for him.

"I love you. It's a fact."

My heart starts soaring again, but I don't show it. "That's cool."

"And how do you feel about me?"

I lie, "I have no idea. You're both annoying and funny at the same time."

"I don't know what I'm meant to do with that."

"Up to you."

"You're frustrating, you know that right?"

"Well, I am a prankster, so you know how it goes."

He glares at me, then laughs. "Ok, give me an honest answer here. Do you want to be with me, or not?"

"Talk about putting me on the spot."

"Just answer."

"Look, Griffin, the truth is, I've fallen for you. So yes, I guess I wanna be with you."

"Are you pranking me right now, or are you actually being serious?"

"This is one of the few times I am being serious."

"Cool."

I try to cover up my grin. "Yep, cool."

"Yeah, so, I guess we're together then?"

"Yup, sounds like it."

Griffin grins, and I grin back. This is so random. A human and a fairy, who would've thunk it?

March 27, 2021 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.