36 comments

Funny Creative Nonfiction Happy

***For those of you who love the Banters, they’re back chattering about the thoughts that count. BTW, the word “drongo” is Australian slang for a fool or simpleton. Enjoy! ***



“Matthew, do you remember what you gave me as a birthday present three months after we met and you had already proposed?”


“Oh Geez, Martha, that was over 52 years ago. What do you think I am? A hyperthymesiac?”


“A what?? How do you even spell that? Hyper-thyme…Oh, I get it! Someone who gets hyper after consuming too much thyme? But that doesn’t make sense. I don’t even use thyme in my cooking.”


“No silly! Hyperthymesiacs are those who have an extraordinary ability to recall many of their life experiences. Apparently, it’s quite rare. Only 61 people have been diagnosed with it as of 2021…and obviously, I’m not one of them: I can’t even remember what you just asked me.”


“That makes two of us, Matthew. Your hyperthyme…or whatever it is…blew my thoughts right out the window. But I think it was whether you remembered the first ever birthday present you gave me before we were married and shortly after we met?”


“Right. That’s it. Well, if I remember correctly, it was that 9 X 12 wall clock still hanging in my former basement darkroom downstairs?”


“Yep. The one that hasn’t worked for the past 40 years but which, like everything else cluttering up the basement, you just can’t get rid of.”


“Well, that has sentimental value, darling. It WAS the first gift I ever gave you. But why are you asking about it now?”


“Because I’m curious if you remember my reaction to it and the reason you gave me for buying it.”


“Ummm…now you’re really testing my hyperthymesia. I’m not too sure I remember your reaction, but I do remember the reason I bought you that clock. Do you?” 


“Yes. You told me that because you had proposed, and because I had said yes, being the very practical person you are, it made sense to buy something for our future home. So, technically, you didn’t buy me a present. You bought US a present. 


“Um, okay. I suppose so. But you do agree it was a sensible gift, don’t you?”


“Sensible yes, but I was really taken aback. It just seemed such a weird, impersonal gift to give a woman you hardly knew.”


“But I’d already proposed. It made perfect sense to me. But say, what’s all this about anyway?”


“Oh, nothing major. Don’t worry. I’m not going to start bickering.”


“Phew! Thank heaven because I’m really not in the mood for a Banter bicker today.”


“Me neither. But I’ve got a bee in my bonnet right now about one of this week’s Reedsy prompts. The prompt is to write a story based on the proverb ‘it’s the thought that counts’.”


“Oh, that old one. That shouldn’t be too hard. Life is full of times when we tell ourselves it’s the thought that counts. Why didn’t you just say you’re trying to come up with a story in the first place?”


“Because I’m stuck and I haven’t even thought how to start! Why do you think I asked you that question? I need you to help me get the clogged wheels turning.”


“Okay. I understand. So getting back to my thoughtful gift of the clock?”


“Well yes, about that. I’ll be honest: I was both surprised and kinda disappointed when I saw what it was. Granted, I wasn’t expecting any gift. So despite my feelings, I just told myself it’s the thought that counts. But at that early stage of our relationship, I would’ve expected something more feminine, like a tiny bracelet or some flowers?”


“But flowers are such an impractical gift. Not to mention a waste of money. They die in a few days. At least the clock ticked on for several years.”


“That’s true. But some of the gifts we value most have no practical value at all. Do you remember when Josie turned 7 and Pop gave her 7 gold $1 coins?”


“Sort of. Did something happen with them?”


“Yes, Mr. Hyperthymesia. Oh…did you catch that? I remembered the whole word! Anyway, that day, I took the girls shopping and Josie left her little purse with the 7 coins in the public washroom. When she realized what she’d done, we ran back to look for it but of course, it was gone. Josie was inconsolable. It was the one time she out-screamed Bonny.”


“So what happened?”


“Well, dear little Bonny also had 4 gold coins in her purse. Pop had told her she’d get one more on her birthday the following month. When Bonny saw Josie so distraught, at first, like a little old woman, Bonny tried to console Josie by patting her on the back and telling her not to cry. But Josie wouldn’t stop bawling. So what Bonny did next, I’ll never forget: she offered Josie her purse of 4 gold coins.”


“Aw, what a great kid!.”


“Yes, she was, and still is. But my point is that that was a gift that went way beyond ‘it’s the thought that counts. All told, that gift had very limited practical use but infinite personal value.”


“You’re right, as always. But wait! Are you trying to make me feel bad about the fact I didn’t buy you flowers?”


“Oh honey, of course not. We’re just having a deeper-than-usual conversation to help me come up with something for that Reedsy prompt. I’ve merely been trying to analyze the prompt from various angles. One of those angles is just how much does the thought count if it’s not followed by desirable action.”


“Go on.”


“Well remember when I used to do those educational toy parties in Australia when the girls were little? Remember how many boxes of toys and books I’d have to carry in and out of the party hostess’s house?” 


“Sure do. They filled the boot of that little Gemini you drove. You often complained about how heavy they were.”


“Right. So there was this one night where, as I finished and began packing everything up, the hostess kindly turned to me and said when I needed to carry the boxes out to my car, she’d get her husband to help me.”


“That was nice of her. So did he help?”


“Well, I think she, he, and I all had different ideas about helping. I know what I was thinking, but he and I were definitely not on the same wavelength.”


“Why? What happened?”


“So I got to the front door, carrying three lighter boxes under my arm and pulling my trolley loaded with the other 5 cases. I still had others in her living room for a second trip.”


“And?”


“Well, there I am trying to hold onto the boxes with one arm without letting go of the trolley handle with my other hand while trying to grab the door handle at the same time. No way could I manage it, but just at that moment, the hostess’ husband materialized. He flashed me a huge smile and said ‘Here. Let me help you.'"


‘That was nice of him. How thoughtful.”


“You think so? I thought so too but only for a second. He then opened the front door with his left hand, and with a sweep of his right hand as if he were ushering me into a theatre, said: ‘There you go. I’ll stay here and hold the door open for you until you get everything out to your car. You still have some more boxes inside too, right?’ 

I remember my face flushing in shock as I carried the first load, followed by the second load out to the car, while he stood there holding the door open for me.”


“Ouch.”


“OUCH is right! I was stunned. All the way home I asked myself what was I thinking believing that Drongo was a gentleman like my husband. And if ever there was a time I agreed it’s thoughts that count, it was that night. Let’s just say it’s a good thing that guy couldn’t read my mind.”


April 12, 2023 17:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Amanda Lieser
23:42 May 03, 2023

Hi Viga! I am always a sucker for a story that is told through dialogue. I think that the way that we speak is such a good characterization of our souls, and I loved that this piece completely captured it. I also really liked the debate within the story because I think the idea of gifts is such a sensitive topic. My husband and I were just discussing how frustrating it is to receive a gift that means that you have to do work – like flowers in a pot or a pet. You did a great job of relying on the definition you provided at the beginning to ca...

Reply

Viga Boland
00:10 May 04, 2023

Thanks so much Amanda. It really makes me happy that on a site like Reedsy where most write traditional…and long…stories, that some of you enjoy my change of pace, short humorous dialogues. Not as easy to write as some might think but must admit that for me, it’s just doing what comes naturally: talking 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
05:14 Apr 23, 2023

A story within a story inspired by a Reedsy prompt-what fun! The back and forth here is priceless. Love how she digs up something she has been thinking about since before their marriage (why does this sound familiar, she asks herself.) The story is light-hearted and fun. Exactly what the doctor ordered. BTW my nephew has HSAM. That would actually make an inspiring story. He has the autobiograpical version. If you pick any date out of a thin air, he can tell you what day of the week it was, what classes he had, what he ate that day etc. He ...

Reply

Viga Boland
13:11 Apr 23, 2023

Wow…that’s mazing about your nephew. A simultaneous blessing and curse perhaps? Not familiar with it. Thanks for comments on my latest Banter. Might be the last for a while as just like you, things in my life have taken an unexpected turn that will impinge on my writing for next while. Not sure how big or how long the interruption will be, but I’ll be back ASAP.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:43 Apr 21, 2023

Heh :) It literally was the *least* he could do :) The clock's an interesting gift. On the one hand it's sweet, as it is a physical investment in their future - perhaps extra insurance guaranteeing the proposal. He's clearly committed to their life together, and spends much time thinking about it - and his excitement at the idea could be felt even 52 years later. On the other hand, it's a clock. I can see why she saw it as underwhelming :) "drongo" - Always enjoy learning a new word. "I’m really not in the mood for a Banter bicker ...

Reply

Viga Boland
23:04 Apr 21, 2023

Thanks Michal. Your thoughts on the Banters as a way to explore stories is most encouraging. Reedsy writers like you have been giving me a lot of encouragement on the Banters. I might just turn this thing into a book yet. But it will be the last book I publish!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
18:43 Apr 19, 2023

Another great episode! Your dialogue is always so fun to read. I also loved the story about the gold coins. Kids can be so surprising sometimes. "Its a good thing that guy couldn't read my mind" Great line to wrap it up, got a good chuckle out of me!

Reply

Viga Boland
22:27 Apr 19, 2023

Thanks for reading and liking this one RJ. I love writing them. Re Gold coins…true story dat! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:01 Apr 15, 2023

I laughed, teared up, sighed with affection for the girls, and learned a new word, hyperthymesia, all in one short story! You really know how to spin the Banters into an emotional tale every time. When I read a Banter story, I feel like I'm watching a sitcom, especially with the natural back-and-forth dialogue. The twist at the end with the not-so-helpful husband had me laughing yet feeling angry for Mrs. B.! How could he not have seen you struggling and naturally wanted to help? Lol. Bless his heart. He thought he was being helpful.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:22 Apr 15, 2023

Aw…just love your comments on this one. I don’t think many will get to read it this week as I didn’t enter it in the contest but hey, the Banters aren’t everyone’s bowl of writing. Re, reading the Banters is like watching a sit-com, that’s how I advised a Reedsy writer who struggles to write dialogue. I said just picture the characters on a TV show. There’s no narrator! So it’s up to the characters to show us who they are with their words. 😉

Reply

KT George
17:23 Apr 15, 2023

That's exactly how I do it! Great advice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:39 Apr 14, 2023

Ah! The Banters are back, bantering in their unique and delightful fashion. The dialogue is so enjoyable and real, Viga. This is such a wonderful addition to the Banter canon. Love it! I wish that you had used the word "boot" instead of trunk. They're Australian, right? I think "boot" would add a nice regional/cultural flavor to the tale. Just a thought, my friend. A wonderful tale, my fiend. Nicely written and imbued with great dialogue. You have a masterul story here, Viga. Cheers!

Reply

Viga Boland
14:27 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks for reading my latest Banters’ episode Delbert. I know their dialogues can’t compete with the brilliant short stories written by others on Reedsy, but there are times when the prompts don’t prompt more than a Banter for me. But that’s okay. It’s still a good exercise in creative writing. I enjoy writing humor: my lifetime goal was to be the reincarnation of Erma Bombeck. Instead, I’m more of a sit-down comedian, but as my Banters bring smiles to someone’s face, good enough for me. And BTW, I’ve given the “boot” to the trunk 😂

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:48 Apr 14, 2023

LOL Erma Bombeck! Damn, I love her writing as well. I'd gladly read her stuff any day of the week. She had a distinct talent for writing snark that didn't offend. Given the boot to the trunk. Clever girl! :)

Reply

Viga Boland
15:03 Apr 14, 2023

Re the boot vs trunk, I was aware of it, of course, but decided to be “helpful” (?) to North American readers. Silly me! You know, I have to give you props: it’s really nice you take the time to write both comments and reply to the add-on responses as well. No wonder you’re a Reedsy favorite

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
08:41 Apr 13, 2023

Oh I love Matthew! The fact that he knows big words, statistics to go with big words, the size of the clock etc… but doesn’t remember what we were talking about, priceless! Your dialogue is always so well written and just rolls off the page so well that I can hear it in my head. Funny to hear a Gemini having a ‘trunk’… we Aussies would say a ‘boot’. Haha. Thanks for sharing Viga, I love reading your Banter stories.

Reply

Viga Boland
13:21 Apr 13, 2023

That’s funny you brought up the trunk/boot usage. Yes, we Aussies would use “boot”; I deliberated on that one but decided not to confuse N.A. readers 😊 So glad you lime the discrepancy in Matthew’s abilities. The real life Matthew is exactly like that LOL. As for the use of dialogue, my preferred reading and writing at all times. I cringe when I see long narrative paragraphs and no dialogue in a short story or book. Really tries my patience as a reader.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:31 Apr 13, 2023

Haha, yes well, don’t read my story this week… oops! No dialogue at all. Hahaha

Reply

Viga Boland
13:45 Apr 13, 2023

😂🤣🤪 Of course I’ll read it. I love your writing. It just takes me so much longer to focus on a sea of words on an iPad. My eyesight isn’t wonderful. So many writers on Reedsy write in narrative. I suppose it’s easier than dialogue for some or the story just doesn’t lend itself to dialogue. So problem for me arises when story after story on Reedsy is narrative. I can only read so many before I go cross-eyed LOL

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:54 Apr 13, 2023

I’m serious, this week’s story is probably not for everyone. A little too Shakespeare! No offence taken at all! I admire your ease with dialogue, it’s the one thing I struggle and angst over in my own writing. Trying to make it natural is hard, so my hat comes off to you!

Reply

Viga Boland
14:48 Apr 13, 2023

Ah Michelle…Shakespeare…an old buddy of mine LOL. Learned to love him once I had to teach him to my students. It took the teaching to understand what I didn’t when I was a student. So Looking forward to see what you’ve come up with. Just listen to their voices, moods in your head. Re dialogue, I realized why I needed to use it when I was writing my first memoir. Like just about everyone I ever mentored re memoir writing, I wrote the first 3 chapters all narrative. I thought it sounded pretty good. Then I ran those chapters past a good Auss...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
02:18 Apr 13, 2023

These Banters stories are really good, Viga. :) I’m always excited to read another one of your stories. Thanks for writing!! :D

Reply

Viga Boland
02:32 Apr 13, 2023

Thanks for reading Lilah. So glad you like the Banters. They are a nice change for me when I’m writing. Almost comic relief 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:08 Apr 13, 2023

Dialogue at its finest. Well done, Viga. The story happens for the reader as he/she/they hear it. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
00:24 Apr 13, 2023

Another winner in my book, Viga.

Reply

Viga Boland
02:06 Apr 13, 2023

Thanks Mary. Not entering it this week’s contest though. Just a free submission.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:44 Apr 13, 2023

Still good and followed prompt to a T.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
00:11 Apr 13, 2023

Good all dialogue story. Very Kath and Kim. Extra points for shoehorning a Gemini in there.

Reply

Viga Boland
02:08 Apr 13, 2023

That Gemini is a Holden Gemini…made in Australia. That part of the story actually happened in Australia ✌️

Reply

Darryl Roberts
06:20 Apr 13, 2023

Ah yes every bogans first car, or maybe a cortina.

Reply

Viga Boland
13:41 Apr 13, 2023

Ah…so you’re an Aussie too? Cool! Whereabouts are you located, mate?

Reply

Darryl Roberts
14:22 Apr 13, 2023

West coast!

Reply

Viga Boland
14:51 Apr 13, 2023

We’re originally from Newcastle

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.