2 comments

Fiction Kids Happy

Maddox was cooking breakfast with his mom like he always did every Saturday morning. He was watching his mom stir the batter with concise and un-wasted movements. He was silently trying to figure her out as he observed her. She mentioned a surprise for him which made him excited, but she didn’t seem as excited. She seemed a bit afraid and Maddox was not used to his mother having that expression. He always knew her as the strongest person in the world.

He tried to say something but he didn’t know how to word it. How was he supposed to ask his mom if something is bothering her when she will just give him a big smile and tell him that she is okay? Was the surprise today the reason? If it was, he didn’t want it if it makes his mom look like that.

As Maddox listened to the pancakes sizzle on the skillet top, the doorbell rang. He went to go answer it but was stopped by his mom

“Watch the pancakes for me Maddox.” Marinette instructed her son.

She pulled his stool in front of the skillet for Maddox. She gave him the spatula and kissed him on the head as she went to answer the door. Maddox hopped on the stool to watch the pancakes. He could already see that they were ready to flip so he carefully stuck the spatula under the nearest one. By the time he flipped the last pancake he could hear his mom coming back into the kitchen.

“Mama, they still look like circles!” Maddox proudly informed his mother without looking back at her.

When he turns around he sees a man standing behind his mother. He was wearing a hat and sunglasses as he caught Maddox’s confused stare. He then runs to Marinette and puts himself between her and the stranger. He glared at the man with all his might as he stood fast to protect his mother.

“I see you are the man of the house.” The man chuckled as he held his hands up in surrender. “I would never hurt your mother, she would probably hurt me before I could even get the idea.” He assured the smaller boy.

“This is Maddox.” Marinette introduced. “Maddox, this is Tobias.”

That’s all that Marinette needed to say for Maddox to understand who this man was. His eyes widened as he looked back at Tobias in awe.

“Does that mean you are better?” Maddox asked him.

Tobias looked at Marinette with widened eyes and raised brows. Marinette nodded to answer his silent question before going back to the forgotten pancakes.

“Do you need help with breakfast?” Tobias asked.

He took off his hat and sunglasses revealing his familiar features. Maddox noticed that they had the same brown curly hair as well as the same piercing blue eyes.  

“Why don’t you help Maddox with the smoothies?” Marinette nodded over to the blender on the counter.

“If you’re cool with me helping?” Tobias directed to Maddox.

“Okay.” Maddox agreed. “What kind of fruit do you like?” He asked Tobias.

“You still have the same tastes?” Marinette inquired.

“Pretty much.” Tobias answered.

“Then you have to try his watermelon smoothie, we finally perfected it.” Marinette recommended.

“That sounds great.” Tobias smiled and nodded. “What do you need me to help with?” He volunteered.

Maddox reaches his hand out. Tobias is taken aback by the gesture but hesitantly takes the boy’s hand. With their hands intertwined, Maddox pulls Tobias to the fridge to retrieve the ingredients for the smoothies. He lets go of Tobias’ hand to pass him the things they are going to use. When they get back to the blend Tobias puts the tub of cubed watermelon, frozen strawberries, a jar of lemon juice, and the orange juice on the counter. Maddox puts the tub of plain yogurt down before dragging his stool to the part of the counter they are using.

Tobias watched Maddox add the smoothie components together.

“Can you hold the top of blender please? Mama normally does it.” Maddox requested.

“Sure.” Tobias complied.

He put his hand on the blender as Maddox pressed the button to turn the appliance on. They listen to the blender surge to life and watch the pink liquid swirl around. Maddox hands Tobias a spatula.

“Can you scrape the sides please?” Maddox asked.

“Sure buddy.” Tobias complied.

Maddox clicks the blender off. Tobias removes the cover and scrapes the side of the blender with the spatula. He puts the cover back on and Maddox briefly blends the mixture again. Marinette hands them cups from the cupboard.

“You want me to pour it?” Tobias offered.

“Yes please.” Maddox nodded.

Tobias fills the cups with the smoothie with Maddox’s help. They then go to the dining room to set the table for Marinette. When the place mats are set they take their seats. An awkward silence filled the room.

“So.” Tobias attempted after a while. “How old are you?”

“8. I’m turning 9 in a week.” Maddox returned.

It went quiet again. Maddox fiddled with his straw in his mouth as he drank his smoothie. He wanted to ask something but was afraid of Tobias’ answer. He stopped drinking and took a deep breath before looking at Tobias.

“I’m having a party next weekend.” He mentioned. “Do you, um, want to come?” He hesitantly invited.

Tobias felt a small smile creep on his face.

“I would love to. Thank you for inviting me.” He expressed.

Maddox smiled at his reply. He didn’t understand why he was happy, but he felt what he felt.

The room went quiet again. This time Tobias decided to speak up.

“So how much did your mama tell you about me?” Tobias asked.

“A lot.” Maddox replied.

“Did she tell you about where I was?” He anxiously inquired.

“Yup. She said you were sick and needed to get help. She also said you wouldn’t come back unless you were better, so does that mean you are better?” Maddox returned.

“Better than I was before.” Tobias honestly answered.

“That’s good. Do you think you are going to stay?” Maddox enquired.

“Is it okay with you if I stay?” Tobias followed up.

“Why are you asking me?” Maddox questioned with a tilt of his head.

“Because I came here to meet you and be apart of your life. If you don’t want me here, then I don’t have a reason to be here.” Tobias told him.

“Really?” Maddox asked.

“Of course. You make the call, it’s the least I can do for leaving you.” Tobias gave him a guilty smile.

“I don’t blame you.” Maddox blurts out.

Tobias was speechless as Maddox’s claim. He expected to be casted out of his life and rejected.

“Mama said you were thinking about me when you asked her to take me and Mama has been taking care of me and loves me even when she is tired from her jobs. I’m happy.” Maddox grinned from ear to ear.

Tobias couldn’t fight the effects of his son’s infectious smile. He didn’t deserve this. He was lucky to have this conversation with him. Extremely lucky that he didn’t despise him or was unhappy with his life. Tobias didn’t understand how he was able to have such a great and understanding kid. Then he noticed Marinette peeking from the kitchen arch. She was being considerate and giving them time to talk.

“You never change, do you Marin?” Tobias chuckled.

Marinette giggled as she was called out. She walked out to the dining room and placed the pancakes on the table. She then went back to grab the peanut butter and caramel syrup.

“I see you both enjoy a sweet breakfast.” Tobias stated.

“Like you aren’t happy to see that caramel sauce.” Marinette scoffed with a smirk.

“Mama’s banana pancakes are the best with peanut butter and caramel syrup. It’s amazing.” Tobias boasted.

“Then I’ll follow your lead.” Tobias bowed his head.

Maddox smiled and grabbed a pancake. He spread peanut butter on top, next he placed another pancake on top then repeated the process. When he had three pancakes stacked on each other with peanut butter slathered between them he grabbed the caramel syrup. He drizzled the sweetness over the top of his stack of deliciousness. Marinette had to stop him from drowning his plate in caramel before taking the bottle to do the same with her pancakes.

Tobias followed what Maddox did and took the bottle of syrup from Marinette. He cut into his stack and stuffed his mouth. He couldn’t say anything. The flavor was balanced and it complimented each other so well. Bananas, peanut butter, and caramel were indeed a holy trifecta.

“This is incredible.” Tobias said with food in his mouth.

“Right?” Maddox asked as some pancake fell out his mouth.

“Chew properly you two.” Marinette laughed.

Tobias and Maddox apologized at the same time making Marinette laugh even more.

+++

After breakfast they decided to go the beach. Tobias and Maddox were doing the dishes while Marinette prepared their bags.

“Mama said there is no cure for your sickness.” Maddox started conversation.

“No, there isn’t.” Tobias clarified.

“Doesn’t that make you mad?” Maddox inquired.

“It did. It means that I have to work harder than some people.” Tobias sincerely answers.

Tobias had bipolar. When his girlfriend died during Maddox's birth he spiraled and didn't believe he could support a baby. This made him beg his best friend Marin to find his son a home. Like he expected she found him the best home Maddox could ever have.

"I promise to work harder, especially for you and your mama." Tobias promised.

"Okay, Dad. I believe you." Tobias assured him with a smile.

February 06, 2021 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Animesh Kulkarni
04:53 Feb 11, 2021

Nice story with an unexpected ending... I imagined at first that Tobias and Marrinete are maybe separated. But happy to have a different ending.

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
23:00 Feb 11, 2021

Glad I was able to give you something different :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.