0 comments

Contemporary

The early evening ahead promised more hot weather as usual in New Mexico, Alberquerque, Land of Enchantment so they say, a place where folklore legend is plentiful. Pablo sat in his room, above an old house there, outside the city, bored and slightly confused, his bi-polar kicking in since the panemic began and lockdowns were ordered in his area. He had a small hot plate which he cooked simple one pot meals at night, beans and rice, meat with vegetables, boiling until they fell off the bone. The local shop owners and farmers were generous with him, they knew he had his disabilities to deal with, and now, things were not very good for poor Pablo.

"How long do we stay home for?" He asked Mirabelle, the house owner who rented him the small attic for a good price. She was kind and let him use the back yard to sit under the trees in the shade. Pablo loved to relax there, and feel the early morning breezes while he listened to the birdsong.

"Ok, thank you, I will do some washing later outside, may I use the tub today?", Pablo was always polite, rarely spoke, shuffling his feet nervously as if he were afraid of humans.

"Sure, sure, just don't leave no mess, and empty it after too." Mirabelle told him, she was like his own mama, whom he didnt know very well really. Pablo mostly grew up in the orphanage, common with poor American/Latino, his father he knew nothing about, his mother ran off with another man, same old same old. Pablo didnt think about it too often, but would pretend that Mirabelle was his own mama. She was tough old bird, made tortilla's outside when she felt like it, and had dirty toe nails she tried to cover up with red paint.

Pablo went up to his room, trying to remember what day of the week it was, Monday? No, it was Wednesday. Hmmm, he just couldnt figure it out. Every day dragged on and on, just like the day before, and now his sleep pattern was not good, he had too much time on his hands.

"Maybe now I keep a tab on the day it is," He said outloud - he began to dig in his drawers for chalk or something to write on the wall with. He still didnt know what today was, or yesterday, or tomorrow, where was time now? Pablo sighed heavily and lay down on his little bed. He turned on the radio, maybe they will say what the day is, he mused, and began humming to himself. His mind was reeling with thoughts and memories.

"Pablo, what are you doing, I need help with the chickens now." Mirabella shouted upstairs, her low voice echoing intensely into the hallway walls. Paint was chipping off, the railway held splinters, the house was old and it looked it. Pablo hopped off his bed, bounded down the stairs to go out to the chicken coop to collect eggs. He got his breakfast too - Mirabella cooked eggs and tortilla's every morning, added some vegetables and fresh goat's milk too. Pablo was so grateful to have her, and as he thought about his gratitude deeply he forgot to ask her what today was. 'Well, tmrw is another one, I wont forget to ask her then.' he reminded himself as he went to sleep.

The next morning, as he sat down to eat his breakfast, Mirabella announced she was going into town to do some errands and meet up with her friend Clarisse. "I wont be back until supper, be careful not get into trouble.", She ordered him. In spite of the lockdowns Mirabella had to pay bills and get supplies for her home, her garden and chickens needed stuff. He wanted to go with her but knew better than ask. If Mirabella wanted him to go she would ask him.

"Ok, have a good time." He said as he drank his cold milk. He didnt look at her. Mirabella watched him and felt sad for the boy, he was so sweet, but he was so alone, she wanted him to join her but not today, she had business to settle in town. Her will, she was having her will signed and documented today, the appt had been made before the pandemic began, she wanted to leave half of her life to Pablo, he had nothing else, nowhere else to go.

"Ok amigo, bye I will see you for supper and bring you some sweets from the bakery." She promised, and he nodded back at her, his own little way to say thank you, not looking forward to another long day and especially alone.

"Can u tell me what the day is today?" He asked Fluffy, the old cat that lay on the porch in the sun. "And don't lie there too long you will get sunburned." He told it, the cat just blinked at him, uninterested in anything he had to say. Pablo smiled and wandered around the house to the back. "Maybe the chickens will know more than the stupid cat." He laughed at that thought. He went into the chicken coup to see if there were eggs and got six big ones, fresh and warm. He threw some grain out on the ground and watched while they pecked and ate. "Stupid creatures, all your good for, pecking and laying." He said, huffing as he locked the door behind him with the latch. His hair was already soaked with sweat from the heat, so he went to wash up, then back to the kitchen for lunch. He grabbed some cheese and bread that Mirabella baked, took it out into the back to sit under the tree. Did he know yet what the day was? Monday, Wednesday or Saturday, no not Saturday, Mirabella doesnt go to town on Saturdays. Pablo munched his bread with cheese, having more milk with that.

"How can I know what the day is? No one is around, I keep forgetting to ask Mirabella, who is now gone too. Oh dear, what a mess I am in." Pablo felt so sad then, but fell asleep in the coolness of the shaded tree.

March 05, 2021 16:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.