3% -minute missing

Written in response to: All clocks suddenly stop. Write about what happens next.... view prompt

13 comments

Fiction

5:01 pm. in front of the school guard

"Hello Sir, children still inside."

"Yes, ma'am still 10 minutes before the end of school."

"What? I left my office at 4:50 pm. I thought I was late."

"My cell phone is showing… what? Damn, that hasn't changed. "

"Oh! Mine shows the same time. What the hell?"

“Your safety monitor also displays 4:50 pm. "

"You're right! My watch hands aren't moving either. Fuck! What's going on?"

“I'll call the headmaster. "

"Sir, what's going on? there is a problem with the time? Not yet, just a mom. OK sir, I'll tell everyone. "

"Madam, teachers and the principal are aware of the problem and they are awaiting the arrival of all the parents before releasing the children."

“Of course, maybe everyone has the same problem. If they don't know, they might arrive after dark. I'm sorry, but I can't wait. I have to pick up my husband from the airport. "

"I see ma'am, but the principal has asked me to wait and do nothing."

"Please call him back and give him my name, I have to get my child back. I can't waste time waiting for others."

"There is no time to waste madam because time has stood still."

“Ah! Notice that time is passing again. Look at my safety monitor. My wristwatch spins slowly but it works. "

"The children are coming and so are the parents."

“Goodbye sir!”

“Have a nice weekend ma’am and take care.”

“Mom, there were some weird times at school...."

“We’ll discuss in the car sweetheart.”

5:15 pm. inside the car.

“Mom, wall clocks, wristwatches, even computers and cellphones all read 4:50 p.m. and then nothing happened."

“Now in the car dashboard we can read 5:04 pm. But this is not the real time.

"Look on your cell phone. "

“The same as on the dashboard, Mom. "

"Mom, an alert on my cell phone."

"What is that?"

“Dear Patriot, here is a message from the government, listen to the radio often to be informed of the problems caused by the stoppage of time."

"I'll turn on the radio."

"Please stay home, don't rush on the subway, prefer walking, bicycles, buses, taxis or cars if you are not at home. Drivers should be careful of traffic lights, maybe they're not in sync. "

"There are a lot of people in the subway, we are doing our best to get them out safety."

"The planes still in the sky, they will land when the situation returns to normal."

" Oh my God! Your father is on a plane. "

"Try calling him on your cell."

"Doesn't answer mom. I'll text to him."

“Dear citizens, scientists are trying to figure out what happened. As I speak to you, they are at odds. Chinese scientists think we've lost 14 minutes more or less 3%-minute, EU scientists say 14 minutes more or less 2.5%-minute, and North American scientists think 14 minutes more or less 3.5%-minute."

"Who care 15 or 13 minutes or even an hour of lost time. Instead, let us know if it's okay with planes in the sky."

"Honey! Google Sacramento International Airport to see if there's any news?"

“Mom, they say that only one American Airlines flight remains in the sky. Its number … Ah daddy is calling."

"Hey daddy! You're okay! Yes daddy! We're on our way to the airport. Mom, can you talk to daddy."

"I'm driving! Haven't you noticed? Tell him we'll be on Airport Boulevard soon. We'll be at the airport in 20 minutes. Also, tell him to wait for us in Terminal B parking lot."

"Dear citizens, this is the latest news, there are a lot of train accidents in UK and France, we have lost communication with seven flights in Africa, 3 flights in South East Asia have disappeared from radar. We still don't know the death toll, but it looks like this 14-minutes gap is going to change our world for good. "

6:04 pm. the terminal B parking.

“Daddy!”

“I’m happy to see you. I was scared when they announced we weren't going to land now.”

"Honey, please hurry, put your bags in the trunk and let's go home, the news isn’t good."

“What news?”

“There are a lot of weird things going on the world. I am frightened. Please drive honey listening the radio, my knees are shaking."

"Ok honey, I'm going to take the wheel, you have a rest and calm down."

"Let's go! Tell me what's going on in the world and scared you honey?”

“Lots of planes are missing in Asia and Africa. They've lost contact with them. In the EU, many trains collided.”

“In the USA all is well!”

“For the moment nothing reported.”

“It proves why we are the most powerful country in the world.”

"It's male pride, honey, calm your arrogance, no one has power against nature. Just because America impresses villagers around the world with its Hollywood movies doesn't mean it is more powerful than natural phenomena."

"Mum, dad, listen to this! Seemingly, during the missing 14 minutes, the earth moved away from the sun by approximately 335,540.444 miles. Thus, on average the light will travel 8.36 minutes to reach us instead of 8.33 minutes.”

"How do you get that?"

"My cell phone, dad."

"Listen again, scientists think that this movement created an electromagnetic field which caused a quantum entanglement between particles and a gravitational field which caused a time warp."

"Find out, my boy, if there are any other dangerous consequences of this displacement?"

“Big Bear Lake in San Bernardino and Clear Lake California are dried up. No one can explain this at the moment, whether or not it is related to this phenomenon.”

"They're both in California my boy."

"Mom, that's a good one. There are 14 times more babies born in the world at 4:50 p.m. than at any other time."

"They are stupid, it's because time stood still for 14 minutes."

“You’ve to be a specific Dad, 14 minutes more or less 3%-minute.”

"Who cares about 3%-minute boy?"

“Dad, in 1.8 seconds we had traveled 336,000 miles away from the sun without realizing it. Mum took about three quarters of an hour to get to the airport. It's amazing! Isn't it.”

"Why did they only take 0.03 minutes in their calculation and not 14 minutes?"

“Mom, in 14 minutes the gravitational field warped time because of the movement of the earth for 1.8 seconds. If we have traveled 14 minutes from the sun then we will have left the Goldilocks zone and the earth will become a ball of ice and there we will already be dead. In addition, world scientists are still arguing over these 3%-minute."

"God! what does Goldilocks zone mean?"

" Mum, this is just the right distance the Earth orbits around the Sun for the water to remain a liquid, also called the habitable zone."

"But why haven't we felt it? "

"Mom, you know the earth revolves around the sun at 67,108 mph and spins every 23 hours, 56 minutes, and about 4 seconds and no one is feeling it."

"I think it was a smooth expansion inside the solar system. All the planets in the solar system have undergone the same pushing action."

"Maybe it will influence the warming of the earth because we are further from the sun."

"Maybe, mom let's wait and see. Maybe it will change the annual temporary graduation as well, maybe we will only have leap years, maybe it will change the seasons as well. Scientists will take stock and it will certainly take them months, even years, to redo reliable calculations which will be corrected by experience feedback."

"Thank you my little astrophysicist. But, I'm afraid it's just the calm before the storm, we don't know what they will announce in the next few hours."

“We've arrived, let's go home and watch TV to figure out this chaos." 

December 19, 2021 14:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Deborah Elliott
02:50 Dec 30, 2021

The concept is clever. I would have liked to have seen some story in between the conversation. Without it, I felt a bit rushed. Good work.

Reply

Boutat Driss
10:55 Dec 30, 2021

A lot of thanks dear Deborah for your comment. Happy new year! 2022 to you and and your loves ones.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carrie Van Hoose
15:56 Dec 29, 2021

Perhaps all the techi stuff had me a bit lost It's an interesting concept. Just a few minor grammar errors but English is a crazy language to understand 😁 Thanks for sharing and a bigger thank you for liking my story, "4 Seconds". Good luck 🤞

Reply

Boutat Driss
18:56 Dec 29, 2021

A lot of thanks dear Carrie.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Neuvelt
00:57 Dec 28, 2021

I liked this story. Very interesting. Good job.

Reply

Boutat Driss
11:02 Dec 30, 2021

Happy new year! 2022 to you and and your loves ones.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:50 Dec 26, 2021

Lots of science in this story! If I didn't have a weird brother who speaks to me about quantum physics and time warp dimensions, I might have lost the thread. Kind of like reading Issac Assimov. Your techie fans will love it.

Reply

Driss Boutat
21:55 Dec 26, 2021

Your amazing🙏🙏😂 thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
F.O. Morier
18:04 Dec 20, 2021

What a pleasant story! Beautiful! I love it! Fati

Reply

Boutat Driss
23:50 Dec 20, 2021

thank you Fati for reading my stories. I appreciate. Driss

Reply

F.O. Morier
21:02 Dec 22, 2021

You’re welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin Marlow
02:37 Dec 20, 2021

Excellent math! It is truth, 3% is not insignificant, Antarctica was once a rain forest. A glancing blow from a meteor and we are all fossils.

Reply

Boutat Driss
08:01 Dec 20, 2021

a lot of thanks dear Kevin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.