3 comments

Drama Fiction Happy

Fred and Kate had been married 5 years. Fred was now 45 and Kate was 30. She had been charmed by the pharmacist 15 years senior and had married him. He was self-employed as he ran a chemist’s shop, whereas she worked for a finance company. Though his shop was doing well and had a regular high income, he remained wary about expenditure. He lived in a one room apartment of a high rise apartment complex. That morning Kate brought Fred his breakfast when he was in bed. He sat up and drew a foldable tray to his bed. Kate laid out the dishes on the tray.

She said “Fred, you own a spacious apartment on our fourth floor but are content to live in this one room tenement. No dining table. I’ve often told you that you’re miserly.”

“You don’t understand the need to save money. It’s for our old age.”

“You’re already old.”

“You married me all the same.”

“That’s the mistake I made. I’ve told you that I didn’t know you would be so miserly. That’s why I’ve been saying I want a divorce. I don’t want to live with a curmudgeon.”

“You’ve put up with me 5 years. Haven’t you got used to me?”

“No. I want a divorce.”

“What’ll you after that?”

“That’s no concern of yours.”

She slipped behind a portable screen which isolated the kitchen from view, and came back with her breakfast. She sat on a stool facing him as she ate her bread and cheese.

She said “I’m extremely unhappy. I had lived better with my parents. Now I’ve a penny pinching husband who has enough but won’t spend on the family. I can only spend what I earn.”

“You’ll realise the virtue of saving as you grow older.”

“You’re old enough. I was trapped by you. I don’t know how it happened.”

He said “I’ll make coffee.”

“Go ahead. You complain when I make it saying I use too much coffee powder which is expensive.”

He laughed and soon came back with two cups of coffee which they sipped. He switched on the TV and was surprised at the announcement: An immediate lockdown has been imposed due to the pandemic! Only chemists and a few others were allowed to keep shops open. Kate got a call from her office saying the office would be closed.

She cursed and said “I hate to be home with a miser.”

He laughed and said “You’re being spared. My shop can remain open. I’ll go to help those who’re in dire need of drugs.”

“Even then living in one room is a drudge.”

“Kate, we don’t need a big apartment. At least if we had kids..........”

“That’s not my fault.”

“Nor is it mine.”

The talk broke off. He left to open his shop. She surveyed the beds. She had shifted her bed and the gap could be seen. She was happy.

Days and weeks passed with the same routine. One day she said “Fred, the finance company says it has run out of money. So, no more salary for me!”

“I’ll pay you whatever salary you’re entitled to.”

“I won’t accept it. You’ll consider it avoidable expenditure.”

She would sit thinking about her colleague Bobby who was young and very friendly. He was a complete contrast to old man Fred. She would wish she had Bobby as husband instead of the present  miser!

After a few days she was suddenly ill and asked for a female doctor to attend as a hospital was a bit far away. That would mean the possibility of catching the dreaded covid which was raging but there was no way. However he used his influence and Dr.Ruth came home and attended. Ruth said to Fred “Don’t worry too much about her illness. It can happen to any female. I’ve prescribed certain medicines which I’m sure will be in regular stock with you. I don’t think the service of a nurse is necessary.”

Fred took over the kitchen and provided food and drink for her also. He brought her the prescribed medicines and other requirements. She became normal in 3 weeks. She told Fred “I’ve been in simple imprisonment for the last perhaps 10 months. I don’t know how long it would continue. I want to get back to work.” She had been thinking a lot about Bobby and tried to contact him over the phone but there was no response. She talked to a colleague and asked about Bobby. Her colleague said “I’ve only sketchy details about what happened to him. Apparently he was in love with a girl who worked in a boutique. She learnt that he had been after another woman and had attacked him with a knife. He has resigned from our company which it seems is itself folding.”

Seeing Fred caring for her so much she appreciated the man. Even after she was normal again he continued to help her in the kitchen and ease her load. There was a sudden change in her attitude towards him. She stopped talking to him about needing a divorce. She tried to make up with him but he didn’t seem to notice. Her birthday came and he ordered the usual cake and celebrated. When she thanked him for the cake he said “I’ve done what I do as usual. I know your feelings towards me: Hatred, because I’m stingy. I don’t have hatred towards you for threatening to divorce me. I know I’m older and can’t change my attitude towards money. I won’t contest the divorce notice.”

She broke down and said “I didn’t realise that you could be so considerate towards me. You were a great help when I was ill. You got me the medicines at the height of the pandemic. You cooked for us then. I recognize your goodness and greatly appreciate your service towards me. I hope I haven’t offended you beyond redemption.”

“You can never offend me. I still like you no matter whatever you’ve said about my stinginess. My policy is waste not, want not.”

“I’m sorry I’ve said unreasonable things about you. I’m really sorry.”

“You can go back to work whenever you want. If the finance firm hasn’t paid you, tell me and I’ll give you the amount you were due. That offer still stands.”

“I don’t want money. I want your love and affection.”

“They’re always there.”

She rearranged her bed so that he could have access to her.

He laughed and said “You’re giving an old man access.”

She said “Don’t be sarcastic.”

The rapprochement was complete and they were reunited. The pandemic had also eased and they could leave home again. That evening she returned home and found Fred there. She said “Fred, I’m lucky to find you at home at this hour.”

“I came to collect some papers about my business which are in our locker here. I’ve collected what I wanted and am on my way to the store.”

“I don’t know how you’ll respond to news I have. I’m on my way to become a mother. I’ve just come back from Dr.Ruth.”

He hugged her and said “I’m lucky to have you as my wife. We’ll celebrate with Dr.Ruth whom we’ll invite for a party in this campus. You’ll have to go to her for confinement again.”

“I would be confined exactly a year tomorrow. The next confinement should be pleasant!”

END

March 06, 2021 12:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Aman Fatima
08:11 Mar 07, 2021

It's a sweet story! :) If you don't mind could you one of my stories.

Reply

11:17 Mar 08, 2021

Unable to understand your question. Please complete. Regards.

Reply

Aman Fatima
16:04 Mar 08, 2021

i meant if you could read one of my stories. Sorry i forgot to write "read".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.