19 comments

Coming of Age Mystery Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

(Trigger Warning under the part that has the trigger in it. You can skip the part when you see it)


Part 3


Mabel


I skipped down the hall, as Faith followed me. 

“Faith, remember how we were back then.

Ah, ah, I, I get

Fake, emotions that can't comprehend

Ah, ah, I,” I sang a particular part of Clean Bandit’s “Drive”, knowing that it has Faith’s name in it.


I hoped to hear either a sassy comment from her or to sing along with me. But, when I didn’t hear any of them, I realized something was fishy.

I turned around to see her staring at me, kind of blankly. It creeps me a lot and if she continues to do that, I’ll probably freak out. That’s for sure. 

Her hazel eyes were literally boring a hole in my soul.

I called her name a couple of times, but it seems like she didn’t hear me. She was still staring at me. So, I waved my hand, trying to break her from the trance, “Faith? Faith! Earth to Faith!”


“Huh,” She shook her head, frantically or maybe as a startle reflex, which scared me a bit. I don’t want my bestie’s neck twisted. 

She looked utterly confused, “What?”

“I’m the one who’s supposed to say that, Faye,” I told her, crossing my arms with a blank look on my face.

“What did I do?” Faith raised her hands, trying to show that she did nothing wrong.

“You were staring at me, Faith,” I said with a duh.

“Oh,” She looked away and blushed, which was so weird. Cause it was not something she’d do...I’ve never seen her blush, well, at least, when I’m around her. 


“Sorry, Mabes,” she looked at me and covered up her blush with her usual sweet smile.


Okay, so, I’ve been feeling something I've never felt before when I’m around her and she’s now staring at me. So, does that mean we have feelings for each other?! I'm so surprised. Woah, wait, May, it’s not the time for this. You have a mystery to solve, girl! Go and get her-I mean the culprit.


I gave her a reassuring look. We continued to walk and reached the living room.

“Dad?” I yelled out, hoping that Dad hadn't left.

But, guess what, good news! He already left.


Great,” I scoffed and let out a sigh in exasperation.

“Now what are we gonna do?” I said.


“Hey, Mabes!”

I turned around. Faith had a cheerful smile on her face and she had a new-looking car key and a note in her hands. She opened up the note and showed me:


An early birthday gift for you, May! Love ya! Drive safe! I’ll be at the Police HQ.

-

L. Pierce


Faith grinned at me, slyly, “Guess we got a car to investigate the mysteries and drive to crime scenes,”




Faith


“Well, we need to be secretaries first,” Mabel chuckled. “Now let’s go-And I’m driving.” She called out from the front.

I groaned and walked to the small Ford, tugging on my sleeves. As Mabel turned on the ignition, I looked at her, then glanced away. If she caught me staring at her again, I would probably have to confess to her that I liked her. But, my feelings were quite obviously all over the place so who knows what could happen.

I heard the car stop rumbling and looked out the window. The police station was right in front of my face. 

“Already?” I asked. 

Mabel nodded and bit her nails. That meant something was wrong. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and tripped over the stairs, and into a young man who looked about nineteen. I squealed and tumbled into him. 

We fell onto the ground and I stared at him awkwardly. “Sorry,” I squeaked. Holding out my hand, I pulled him up onto his feet. 

“Ah, it’s ok. I have two clumsy sisters and an idiotic brother who trips me all the time,” He explained.

“Are you calling me idiotic or clumsy?” I teased, then tensed. I just met this dude, and I was already flirting with him.

“None! I swear!” He laughed, then motioned to a Toyota down the road. “I have to get going.” 

I grinned, “See ya later Mr Cop!” I waved goodbye.

Mabel smirked, “Faithie’s got a boooyfrienddd!” She giggled. But underneath that happy, shining, beautiful smile, there was a tiny bit of sadness.


“Why did you leave without us, dad?” Mabel asked goofily. 

Mr Pierce dumped a large stack of files onto his desk. “So I could find these!” He exclaimed. “And they aren’t even all of them,” He smiled. 

“Wait,” I said, “You’re telling me we have to go into a giant warehouse to find dusty files?”

Mr Pierce nodded happily while Mabel chuckled under her breath. I threw daggers at her, “I may not have always been fashionable, but you know I’m a neat person.”

“Mmhm. Well we need to go...” Mabel rolled her eyes.

Together we walked off into the distance, chatting happily. 


“Wait a minute,” Mabel frowned. “They wouldn’t have records back when Da Vinci was alive!” “We did this for nothing!” She exclaimed.

I laughed, “My mother meant that he wasn’t as well known as him. Not that he was alive when he was! He’s only my great-grandfather.” 

“Ooh,” Mabel nodded, finally understanding. “Now, let’s talk about that cop who totally likes you!”

I shot a glance at Mabel and noticed her smile falter slightly with every second I stood there. “T-that doesn’t sound like you,” I teased.

“A girl can change!” Mabel shrugged. 

“Yeah, yeah. But we need to move onto the files. Let’s have a look at my great-grandfather's past!”


Mabel


“Yeah, we have no time to waste. Let’s go,” I say, grabbing Faith’s hand, accidentally. When I noticed that, I let go, both of us blushing furiously. I let out an awkward chuckle. 


“Aren’t you guys coming?” Dad turns around, confused why we are still standing there.

“Yep,” I say, shooting a glance at her and Faith called out, “Coming, Mr. Pierce!” We, both, started walking, trying to catch up with my dad.



“Damn, this is indeed dusty!” I say, as I glance up at the thickly spun cobwebs, around the shelves and dusty files in them. I coughed a bit and sneezed continuously, not being able to tolerate the dusty atmosphere, “Oh come one, don’t people come here, though? Is it like a haunted house or something?”

I guess hearing me cough and sneeze scared both Faith and dad, cause they ran to me, worried about me. 

“Woah, woah, honey! Are you okay?” Dad told me, and lifted me up with his hands, about to do the Heimlich maneuver, thinking that I choked.

 “Woah, woah, slow down, dad! I’m okay!” I say, trying to stop dad.

“Mabel, You okay? It’s better for you to be outside this dusty place,” Faith says, deeply concerned about me.

I gave Faith a “you’ve gotta be kidding me, look” and said, annoyed, “I’m fine, Faith. Please…”


Dad walks away, searching for the files he needs, not wanting to annoy me more. 

I ask Faith, “How about we ask dad who investigated the fake fraud claim? He might know who investigated the case,” 

“Good idea,” Faith said, after she thought for a bit.


“Hey, Mr. Pierce?” 


“Yes?” Dad replied, as he flipped through the thick, dusty files.

“Um, do you know about a specific artist called...uh, Nixon Campbell-Smith?” I asked, playing with the tip of my hoodie.

“Yeah. I know him. He was an awesome painter. Love his paintings so much,” He said, adjusting his glasses. My eyes widened.

“Um, do you know who investigated his false fraud case?” Faith asked curiously.

“Yeah, it was Officer Christopher. Why do you ask?” Dad turned around, a confused look on his face.


“Oh, it’s...uh…” I stuttered thinking of a convincing excuse.

“It’s for our friend who is in high-school. He needs help to do an art assignment on underrated artists of all the time and he chose ‘Nixon Campbell-Smith’. We decided to help because it contributed to fifty percent of his total score.” She lied, with a grin on her face.

I guess that convinced him, cause he stopped asking further questions and continued searching, “That’s a wonderful thing to do, guys. But, don’t help him too much, okay? He have to learn to do his work on his own,”

“Sure, dad.”


“Can we meet Officer Christopher, Mr. Pierce?” Faith asked, walking up to dad.

“No, I don’t think so. He is no more with us,” He said, a frown quite visible on his face.

I let out a deep sigh, knowing we are at the dead-end. I thought Faith wasn’t stupid, but, the next thing she said, made me rethink my opinion about her. 


“Can we get his number? You know, to contact him?” Faith asked, curiously and my eyes widened.

“No, I don’t think you’ll be able to call him-” Dad tried to explain, but she continued, cutting him off.

“At least his address?” I facepalmed myself. I swear I wish I could disappear out of nowhere right now. 


Dad opened his mouth, after letting out a sigh, about to tell the fact. That’s when I grabbed Faith’s wrist and turned her around, a blank look on my face. She looked so confused.


“He’s dead. Officer Christopher is dead, Faith,” I say.


Faith


“Oh well! My condolences. Let’s go,” I hissed. I grabbed Mabel by the shoulders and shoved her out the door. Mr Pierce gave me a peculiar look and I laughed nervously. 

“Seriously, Faith?!” Mabel exclaimed.

“Oh, shut up.” I rolled my eyes, and Mabel smiled. I knew that she was happy she was smarter than me, but who cares? I just wanted to give it a shot. Make sure that he didn’t mean...well...you know. Like those characters from disney channel, the ones that always gave it another try.

“I’m smarter than you!” Mabel taunted. She was so childlike sometimes.

“If you are, why do I have this?” I held up a file I stole from the shelves while Mr Pierce wasn’t looking. 

“I-Is that...?” Mabel stuttered.

What else would it be?!” I asked, “A case on a donkey running into someone’s home and stealing their lettuce?” 

Mabel laughed, “Sorry, Faith. But...We’ve been working so hard. It’s like we’re following this scarlet thread that keeps leading us to a dead end.”

“I’m thinking the exact same thing,” I hugged Mabel, then blushed. I slowly melted into the hug, like it was the one thing to protect me.


Mabel


I hugged Faith back, stroking her back slowly, trying to calm her down, “There, there, Faith. We’ll figure this out, together.”

We pull away and I smile at her, “Um, so, what are we gonna do next?”

That’s when I hear the door creak open. I look around and see the guy Faith bumped into a few moments ago. He walks up to dad. 

“Hey, Mr. Pierce. Here you go, the files you’ve asked for,” He smiles at dad, and hands over the stack of files.

“Oh, thank you, kid,” Dad holds his files in his hand, putting the file he had earlier back in the cupboard.

“My work is done, sir. Am I allowed to leave?” 

“Oh sure, why not,” My dad says. “Got someone to hangout with, huh?” He continues, teasing.

“No, it’s just me, I guess,” The police-in-training laughed with dad.

That’s when he noticed both of us. He waves and smiles cheerfully at Faith. Faith waves back. 

And, I huff and roll my eyes, wishing I could get out of here, other than being a third wheel with the two lovebirds. Like, Faith, don’t forget the fact that I’m still here. 

Faith hits me in the elbows, playfully, seeing me huff and roll my eyes. 

The guy Faith is swooning over right now, walks over to us.

“Hey, noodle-head!” he exclaimed, going for a fistbump. 

Faith laughs at the nickname he just gave her.

“Hey, Smalls!” He smiled back. Adam was quite short for what I thought his age was, so I stifled a laugh.

“I didn’t catch your name,” He says.

“Oh, it’s cause I didn’t tell you my name,” Faith smirks a bit, “Anyways, I’m Faith Campbell,”

“Adam King here,” He says, removing his cap. “I’ve heard of you and your family so much. The Campbell Family.”

Adam held out his hand and we fistbumped.

“Of course, I know you,” He says, “You’re Mr. Pierce’s daughter, Amabel. Heard of you so much. But, never got the chance to meet,”

I smile and high-five, “Nice to meet you, Adam.”

“Um, so, Faith, wanna hang out with me?” Adam looks at Faith, with puppy dog eyes. 

“Yeah, sure, why not?” Faith says, both of their fingers intertwining, “I’m sorry, Mabel,” She mouths to me, before walking away with him. “Lead the way, sir,” I hear Faith say in the distance.

I sigh out loud and walk out of the warehouse, to the nearest cafe. Faith is not meant for you, Mabel. She deserves someone way better than you. I hear someone say in my head, making me break into tears.


Faith


“Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

Adam laughed, “To Neon Cafe if you must know.”

I blushed, looking into his eyes. He leaned in a bit and I sucked in a breath. I could feel the warm puffs of his breath on my neck, but he pulled away awkwardly, rubbing his neck.

“Uh, what do you want?” He asked.

I smiled in what I hoped was a charming way, “A vanilla latte please.”

“Coming right up!” A couple minutes later, he returned with our table number and a menu.

“So, I do this on most of my...” Adam paused.

I slowly took his hand, “Dates.” I grinned, not being able to stop myself. He blushed and nodded, squeezing my hand.

“Three questions each. You can go first.” He sat back in his chair.

“Okay...How old are you?” 

“Nineteen and a half.” Adam thanked the waitress, who, while dropping off the drinks, seemed to swoon at Adam.

I giggled at my next question, “How tall are you?” 

Adam rolled his eyes playfully, “Sadly, only about five foot three.” 

“Last one...” I thought for a minute. “Ok, question of truth. Do you like Disney? Because if you don’t, this is over.” Adam laughed, but then saw my deadpan expression and his eyes widened.

“Um, is Meg from Hercules absolutely comedic and amazing?” I laughed and nodded.


“Last question,” Adam smiled softly. “If a nineteen year old cop wanted to kiss you, would you let him?”

I blushed-for what, the eighteenth time today?-and tapped my chin, “If his name was Adam King.” I leaned in close, and our lips brushed slightly before I had a realisation. I liked this guy, I didn’t love him. But I loved Mabel.

I heard the bell on the door ring and my attention broke from the kiss. Mabel stood at the door, dumbfounded. She nodded confidently, then walked off, less confident.

“Mabel!” I looked at Adam desperately, who was looking at Mabel walking away. He obviously had a hunch.

“Go.” He said. I sighed and hugged him tightly, planting a kiss on his cheek. “Friends?” I asked.

“Friends.” He smiled.


Mabel


“Stupid, stupid, stupid,” I muttered, frantically under my breath, pacing forward. “Why am I so stupid to think she'll like me more than a friend,”


I cursed internally, face-palming myself.


I just wish I could pretend that nothing happened and Faith and I could be nothing more than friends. I've been trying, but I just can't fight it. I love her more than anything else.


I stopped for a moment and thought, you'll be okay on your own, Mabel! You don't need a girl or a boy to solve your own problems! I wiped my tears on my sweats' sleeves and sighed.


I sat down on a bench, on the pavement. I pulled out the case file-um, no, not the one where a donkey runs into someone’s home and steals their lettuce. The real case file- and flipped through the pages.


That's when I heard footsteps nearby. I sighed, deeply, and paid no attention to the person, wanting to be alone right now. I felt the footsteps closer and closer and finally, the person sat beside me.


"Just leave me alone, Faith," I say, uninterested.


"Mabes, you okay?" A deep, concerned voice asked instead of Faith's soft, yet high voice.


I turned around, my eyes widening, "Ch-Charlie?"


Charlie nodded, softly. I wonder why he was here, don't he have classes?


"What's wrong, Mabel?" He asked, softly.


I gazed down, kicking my sneakers on the ground, anxiously. Suddenly, I just felt like hugging him and did like I felt.


"There, there... Don't you know that you can tell me anything, sis?" He patted my back, trying to console me.


I pull away, and nod a bit, "Yeah, I do." Charlie was always like a brother to me, and me, a sister to him.


"Where's Faith? I thought she was with you," he asked.


"I don't know and I don't care. She doesn't care about me and why should I?" This is what I've wanted to say. But, me being me said, "No idea,"


He just looked at me, confused and I brought my focus back to the case file.


"Anyways, Matthew and Alyssa told me to tell you and Faith that they miss you both so much," He smiled a bit. "He said: I miss Blondie and Ginger soooooo much!" he says, imitating Matthew's voice, making me laugh a bit.


"Why are you here? I thought you had classes," I ask, not taking my eyes off the file.


"Oh, hey, Faith! There you are! Where have you been?" I heard Charlie say.


I turn around and see Faith standing there. I looked away, not wanting to talk to her right now.


Faith


“Hi, Charlie! Don’t you have classes?” I asked, giving him a tight hug. Mabel was sitting on a bench, avoiding my eyes. I know Mabel, and I know she wants space, but I have to talk to her.

“Ah, no, actually! It’s my bre...” Charlie glanced at his watch. “Shoot, um, I’m actually late for a lecture right now.” “Sorry to duck off, but see you later?” Charlie ran off, waving goodbyes as he went.

“Bye!” I called. Mid-step, he tripped and fell onto the pavement. I snorted, then tried to cover it with a cough.

“Haha,” Charlie grinned. He pulled himself up and dashed off into the distance.

I approached Mabel slowly, as if I was approaching a wild animal. To be fair, Mabel could be a bit like a wild animal when she was angry. She could snap at you, or slam a door in your face.

Unlike me, who did slam doors, but also threw stuff in her room. Preferably an expensive vase that my mother gifted me.

“Reading about the donkey?” I laughed softly.

In response I got a glare.

“Okay...Mabsie, what is going on?” I sat down next to her tentatively. She took a sharp breath as I placed my hand on her knee. I took it back and let it hover in the air.

“Nothing.” She said, “just...Just go home, Faith. Leave me alone.” Mabel grabbed her bag and walked off.

A tear slipped down my cheek, but I forced the rest to stay in. She doesn’t like girls, Faith. She doesn’t like you.


I slammed the door behind me, and looked up. Sitting there was my mother.

“Where have you been?” She asked-not in a worried way, if you were wondering. Her hair was tied up in a neat bun, and she was wearing a mauve dress.

“Solving the mystery. But that’s over.” I muttered. My mother glanced at me, her eyes full with empathy-something I rarely see on her face.

“Don’t give up, Faith.” My mother smiled.

I looked away, “Says you, mother dearest.” My mother was not going to give advice on something that she had no idea about. She doesn’t know what it’s like to actually do something. Plus; I know what would happen if I mentioned something about it-Mabel and I.

My older brother was married to a man, and my father refused to let that be the case. It sparked a fight between the household, and I was only little. I would spend the nights in my room, covering my ears, while the only person who comforted me was actually Charlie. He would come over with Mabel and put me to bed, whispering that it would all be okay.

“Faith Wren Campbell!” My mother exclaimed. I knew she would start yelling at me, so I got up and left the room.

“Come back here!” I blocked my ears, shutting out her calls. I walked into my bedroom, curled up on my bed and started to cry.


“Faith?” I looked up to see my little sister, Maggie, standing in the doorway. I sat up slowly, rubbing my cheek.

“You can come in, Mags.” Maggie sat on the end of my bed, with her little stuffed bunny-Bugs, after Bugs Bunny.

“What’s wrong?” She asked. I laughed quietly. A lot of things, Mags. A lot of things.

“It’s just hard to solve this mystery. I think I might give up.” My smile faltered.

“But, if you do, then Mabel will have to marry the idiotic buthole!” Maggie exclaimed loudly. I slammed my hand over her mouth.

“You heard me say that, didn’t you?” I muttered. Maggie nodded. “Don’t say that around mother. She’ll skin you alive.”

“Mm-M-mm” I took my hand off her mouth.

“If you give up, then you’re setting a bad example for your little sister,” She pouted innocently.

I rolled my eyes. I knew she was right. But, manipulating her older sister?

I taught her right.

But, if I thought about this seriously, Mabel was my best friend. I don’t know what I would do without her. I should help.

“Thanks, Mags.”


Mabel


Guess what? I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere and I have no idea where in California I'm right now. I even wonder if I crossed the border, and reached Mexico.

That's when my phone rang. I picked up the call. It was dad.


"Hi, dad," No matter what I tried, my voice sounded upset.

"Where are you?" he asked, concern in his voice. "I hope you're feeling okay,"

"I have no idea where I'm right now. I hope I didn't cross the border," I joked.

He laugh, "Even if you did, I won't be responsible for that,"

"Can you come pick me up, dad?" I asked, smiling a bit.

"Honey, I don't think I can, right now. I'm busy," he says. "But, I'll send someone to pick you up,"

"Love you, dad," I say, wondering how he could locate me.

"Love you more!" He said, before the call hung up.


I didn't have to wait for long. Soon, I saw a rather familiar car coming the way. The young driver looked very familiar too. He pulled over and I saw his face clearly.


"Adam?"

"Mr. Pierce told me to pick you up," he says, smiling at me, through the car window. "Hop in, Amabel!"

I hesitated a bit, but got in the front seat.

"Should I call you 'Mabel' or 'Amabel'?" He asked, as he drove off. "Your dad told me you don't like being called your first name,"

"Yeah, I don't. Call me anything other than 'Amabel'" I laughed, " Most people call me Mabel. So, you can call me that."

"How did you find my location? And, how did you get here so fast?" I wondered out loud.

He just laughed in response.

"Never knew the police department was this much efficient." I say.

"Never underestimate a Cop-in-training," he joked, and we both laughed.

I looked out the window, watching the sights. I've been wanting to ask Adam a question since this morning and I thought I could try asking now.

"Adam?"

He hummed in response.

"Do you like Faith?" I asked, twirling my hair coils, nervously.

"Yeah, I do," he said, his eyes widening slightly, "But, I like her as a friend,"

I was confused. Adam and Faith were inches away from kissing earlier and now, he is saying they are only friends?

"Yeah, I know you might be confused. At that time, I thought she was the one for me, that was why I almost kissed her," he continued, "But, I realised that Faith is not meant to be mine and there is someone out there who likes her to the moon and back,"

Adam looked at me and smiled.

"And, I know that that's you. Look, Faith also finds me as a friend. I think she has a crush on you."

I nodded, subconsciously, finding it hard to believe what he said. Faith like me?

"You sure?" He nodded. "How is Faith?"

"She looked pretty upset when I last saw her."

I sighed, realising what I did was wrong, "Tell her that I didn't mean to hurt her and I feel bad that I made her upset, okay?"

"I hate losing people I love." I say, sniffing a bit.

"Hey, Mabel. We all know that you'll never hurt her purposely," he said, trying to console me.

"Um, can you help me…" I trailed off.

"Solve the Scarlet Thread Case?" He filled my sentences.

"The Scarlet Thread?"

"That's what Faith named the case you both are trying to solve,"

"She told you everything?" I asked, looking at him.

He nodded. "Yeah, I need help. I mean, I don't wanna trouble you. I just need some info,"

He smiled a bit and I smiled back, feeling a bit okay after all that happened today.



"I think I don't have to tell you what to do, right?" Adam said, dragging a chair to the computer, "Faith said you're a tech-genius,"

I blushed a bit and sat down on the chair. The computer turned on.

"This is the guest list." I pointed at the screen. "It's so long."

"How about I read each name out and you can say if there's a possibility of the person being the thief. Okay?"

"Aye, aye, Cap'n Adam King," I joked, giving him a salute, making him laugh.

"Prince Ericson Relish?"

I cringed, hearing his name, "No possibility of that jerk being the thief,"

"Woah, wait, I forgot to say my findings." I said, opening my notepad, "There was once a false fraudery against the artist, Nixon Campbell-Smith. Faith and I found out the convict of that case and the Scarlet Thread might be the same person. Or someone who is related to that convict. And, the criminal would be a person who is pretty close to the Campbell Family as Nixon wasn't that popular," I say, in a breath.

"Wow! You both make great detectives. This info is so important. Now that we know that, we can find the criminal easily."

I grinned, widely.

"The convict of the false fraudery case is…" he says, typing in quickly, trying to find the criminal records, "Mr Hanley Carpenter. That was the only crime he committed."

I say, noting down, "So, the culprit is someone from the Carpenter Family,"

Adam nodded, "We're gonna crack this case in no time,"

I smile at the now shorter guest list, "I hope so,"


Faith


My phone rang, and I reached over my hot chocolate to pick it up. I smiled at the caller id and answered.

“Hello?” I asked, knowing exactly what he would do.

“Ah, yes, pizza hut! I would like two ham and cheese pizzas, and some juice.” Adam snickered.

“I’m sorry, sir. We don’t serve nineteen-year old cops.” I burst out laughing, in harmony with Adam.

“Hey, Adam!” I snorted.

“Hey, noodle-head. Just calling to tell you that Mabel found another clue to The Scarlet Thread.” I frowned. Was Mabel really doing the case without me? I thought we were a team.

I sighed in exasperation, and pulled my red hair back, revealing my still red cheeks.

“It’s someone in the Carpenter family,” Adam said, but there was an edge to his voice.

“What aren’t you telling me, Adam?” I asked, “are you helping her?”

“....Yes,” He admitted, “I said I would, at least. But then I remembered I had training.” A giggle escaped from my lips.

“Darn your horrible memory,” I joked. Adam suddenly transferred the call to a facetime, so I could see him smiling.

“But seriously, Faith. You should try to solve it.” He tousled his hair.

“So I’ve been told....I think I will.” I said goodbye to Adam and grabbed my copy of the case file.

“Hanley Carpenter...Let’s do this.”


“Thanks, Mr Pierce!” Mabel’s dad waved, and walked back into the police station as I clutched the case file tightly. I’d managed to get my hands on a copy of the case file, ready to study it.

“Okay,” I murmured, stepping into my car. “Hanley Carpenter....Eight Carpenter Place. Quite ironic.” I snickered.

I punched the address into my gps and started to drive to Carpenter Place.


I knocked on the door confidently, hoping that the Carpenters were home-and that they wouldn’t think I was the cops. I heard thumping footsteps inside, and voices muttering complaints about how annoying random people were.

“Hi!” I greeted the woman at the door, who raised an eyebrow curiously.

“Do I know you?” She said snappily. I had an urge to say...something...but I left it alone.

“No, but, I was wondering if you knew Hanley Carpenter?” I asked. The woman’s face drained of colour.

“Are you the police? We don’t accept them here. Not the news team either.” She beckoned someone behind the door to leave.

“No, I-” I was cut off by the sound of a door slamming in my face.

“Eejit,” I muttered.



Mabel


“You said you wanna meet me?” I ask, sitting across Adam, who looked cheerful as always.

“Yeah, I finded some important info,” He says, pulling out his phone. “The address of the apartment Hanley Carpenter used to live; the place where the Carpenters live nowadays,”

He handed over the address. I ran my eyes quickly through the address.

“I don’t think it’s a wise idea to just go and knock at the door, asking if they know Mr. Hanley. They’ll think that I’m a cop or some media person.” I continue, looking up at him.

The waiter came towards us, and I stopped talking. He enquired, politely, “What would you like to order, miss and sir?”

"Nothing for now," Adam sent him away.

The waiter frowned and then walked away to serve the other customers.

"How about this? Dress up as a pastry chef and you could enter the house, saying that you are a pastry chef and you study by selling pastries that you bake,"

"Even though I don't know the ABC of baking, I like that idea," I say, beaming.

"I could sell pies, eclairs, donuts, pretzels," I say, counting on my fingers.

He chuckled, "Damn, man! You're making me hungry!"

That was when his phone rang. He looked at me as if he was asking me if he could answer the call. I nodded at him.

He picked up the call, "Hey, what's up?" I heard him say.

'Who is that?' I mouthed to him and he mouthed, 'Faith'.

My heart stopped for a moment. It's been two days since we talked. And, that's the longest we've stayed without connection. I wanna talk to her so badly. I'll be lying if I say I don't miss her.


'Can I talk to her?' I mouthed to Adam.



Faith


“Adam, I just went to the Carpenters...It went really badly, and I don’t know what to do. Should I dress up as a scout leader and see if they want cookies?” I asked, the idea coming into my head. A snicker came from the other end of the phone.

“Hi, Faith.” A feminine voice said.

Mabel.

“I wanted to talk to Adam,” I said a little too sharply. I heard rustling on the other side of the phone. “Can you hand the phone to him?” I demanded, though it came out as a question. But I wasn’t wasting my time with Mabel, who was still mad at me.

“Why? Why should I, Faith? Why should I hand it to him when you could talk to me, the person who’s helping you.” Mabel snapped.

“You’re doing it without me. That’s not helping!” I shouted angrily.

“I’ve done everything so far, Faith. You’ve sat around flirting with Mr Cop here, while I did all the work!” Mabel yelled.

“Well if you think that then I-” Adam stepped into the conversation.

“Faith, stop. Mabel, be quiet.” Mabel scoffed. “You girls are best friends, and now you’re fighting over a case you were working on together.”

“Were best friends,” Mabel corrected, making my heart break into two pieces, then shatter into a million.

“Mabel,” Adam warned. “And I just got a message from Mr Pierce who was in contact with Mrs Campbell. Eric found the thief.”

I dropped my phone, and I heard a thump on the ground. Eric was going to marry Mabel. Mabel was going to marry that idiotic man. No. No, no, no, no, no. I flicked myself in the arm to snap myself out of it. I had to go home. I had to.


I rushed into my house, only to see mother shaking Eric’s hand. He smirked at me when he saw my wide eyes.

“That’s right, darling. I won.” He strode over to me and kissed my hand. I kicked him away, disgusted.

“GET AWAY FROM ME YOU STUPID MAN. YOU SHOULD BE IN JAIL!” I screamed at him. Mabel suddenly burst in with Adam, who ran over to hold me back.

“Hey, hey, Faith, stop.” He whispered. I wanted to kick him. I wanted to kick him so badly. He kissed me on the lips, stunning me. Adam nodded, “I needed you to shut up,” he shrugged. I watched as Eric wrapped an arm around Mabel’s waist, and she struggled against his tight grasp. He kissed her cheek.

“Are you excited for our wedding? It’ll be as beautiful as you.” Eric purred. I caught Mabel’s eye and noticed they were full of tears. I pulled free from Adam and ran over to her. I ripped her away from Eric.

“Stay away from my best friend.” I threatened.

“Oh, but Faith, you know the deal. I will marry her.” He laughed. “And the wedding’s in three days.” I held Mabel close, fighting back my own tears. I couldn’t leave my best friend to him.

Three days. I have three days to solve this.


Mabel


(TRIGGER WARNING: Skip this part if you don't want to read it.)


Yeah, I know.

I'm hundred percent sure that what I'm gonna do is completely stupid. You'll absolutely scold me and say that I'm outta my mind. I'm doing this cause I just don't know what to do other than this.

So let me tell this stupid decision that I'm gonna take, I'm suiciding. Yeah, I am.

I am already aware that I can't solve this case alone.


I glanced around, my feet shaking on the side-walk.

Okay, I'm actually nervous right now. I closed my eyes, hoping that would give me confidence and jumped on to the road.

Slowly all the good and bad memories started to play in my mind (yeah, just like in those movies):


My, Charlie's and...Faith's first day at school. I guess I was the only kid who didn't cry because I had my bestfriends with me.


Those days dad and mom would argue. I thought she would like me as much as I liked her. But, all she cared about was money.


The day mom and dad got divorced; the day mom pushed my brother away from me and dad. Those days Charlie and Faith would cheer me up and console me that everything's gonna be alright and no one can push me away from my brother.


The day of the masquerade party. I can't describe how beautiful Faith was that day. How she beated up the jerk, Eric. The way she cheered me up. We walked down the streets singing Jonas brothers and Clean Bandits.


The day I saw Faith flirting with Adam. When I saw them almost kiss. That was the first time I felt jealous. I was hurt. Then, I realised it was my fault to think that she will love a stupid girl like me.


And, then, yesterday, when I heard the news that we lost. That Eric is going to marry me. And, I don't know what to do to stop him.


I guess I'm a coward.


Pain seared throughout my body and I could taste the metallic taste of my blood. To be honest, I think I should have chosen a method which is way less painful.

My head was one-eighties and it was an indescribable feeling.


Some feeling that I hate.


Vision started becoming blurry and I started seeing black spots.

I felt someone take me into their arms. I looked up at the familiar face. I can't understand who it was.

"Mabel? Stay with me. You're-you're gonna be okay! Everything's gonna be fine," I hear my dad consoling me, his tears dropped down on my cheeks.

But, before I could say anything back, my vision blacked out.


TO BE CONTINUED...

December 13, 2021 06:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Maraika!!! 😎
05:11 Aug 26, 2022

OMG ASH YOURE BACK!!!!!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU???????

Reply

Ash S
14:59 Aug 27, 2022

HEEEEYYYYYY MARAIKAAAA!!! I'm doing okay hehe. Been through a bit lately and now I'm having my exams, so a tad bit stressed. And the math exam was FREAAKINGGG HARDDDD like for all of us! How are you btw? After exams there would a 10 day vaca for us, so hoping to get back to writing again! Started writing TST again with our Skyeee!!

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
19:00 Aug 28, 2022

EEEEEEEEEEEEE ASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh I'm doing good too. My family and I just got over covid but luckily it wasn't that bad just a bad cold. I'm starting highschool next tuesday because my summer break is almost over so i'm really excited for that. Ooof exams sound hard. I'm wishing all the luck from the other side of the world!!!!!!!! I'm sure you did awesome on the math exam :) Yes vaca!!!! I have NOT written anything in a long time, but in fairness i haven't been feeling it lately. I'm so glad you're back!! I missed you so much!!! Ca...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:10 Apr 10, 2022

Thanks for the shoutout Ashlynn!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
19:57 Feb 10, 2022

I DONT KNOW HOW LATE I AM ON THIS BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! also how have you been doing? i haven't heard from you in a while

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:51 Feb 07, 2022

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:28 Jan 21, 2022

HOLY TOILET PAPER THIS BURNS IT'S SO GOOD BUT SO PAINFUL THANKS FOR THE WARNING THAT WAS INTENSE

Reply

Unknown User
21:17 Jan 23, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

21:39 Jan 23, 2022

WHOOOO!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
19:16 Dec 17, 2021

HOLY MOTHER OF KEEFE THAT WAS GOOD. Like that was awesome guys. ⭐FABEL⭐ is coming togther!!! YAY!!! BUT OMG IF MABEL ISN'T ALRIGHT I MAY LOSE IT SHES TO PURE FOR THIS WORLD AHHHHHHHHHHHH *deep breath* Okay that was so good. So worth the wait and yes ⭐FABEL⭐ is coming togther. #Fabelfanclub What I really love about you guys writting togther is that each POV is diffrent and speical but also fits and merges togther like one writer is writing it. You guys are doing such a good job :) Here are some of my fav things about this story: ~Lov...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ash S
06:44 Dec 13, 2021

Yay! TST part 3 is out!! And, this is the longest part ever written by us! Sorry about that. And, yeah the last part went a bit dark. *chuckles nervously* Will Mabel be fine? Or will something happen to her? *dramatic music* Stay tuned to find out! I better leave or else you guys will chase me for making Mabel do that. I'm out! #Fabelfanclub #IhateEricsonRelishclub #whymabelwhyclub #tst #idontgiveoutspoilers

Reply

Ash S
06:48 Dec 13, 2021

Yeah, I'm back, I forgot to tell ya all somethin'... Feedback is appreciated!! And, if you haven't read the first and second part, check them out first so that you have an idea of what just happened earlier. Bye! Peace out! ✌️ Ash

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:37 May 26, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
07:02 Mar 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
00:23 Mar 01, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
06:25 Feb 03, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
13:47 Dec 14, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
04:59 Jan 28, 2022

Gale!! *runs into you and hugs you tightly* i missed you!! 🥺♥️ This is so damn cool! Consider it done, ma'am! 😁 *teleports*

Reply

Unknown User
13:27 Jan 28, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.