Just a Random Rant

Submitted into Contest #123 in response to: Begin or end your story with “Well, that was dramatic.”... view prompt

37 comments

American Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

Dear Surgeon General Admiral Murthy,

Reflecting upon recent events I feel the need to react to an article that was posted this morning in the Los Angeles Times. Or is it Las Angeles? I can never remember. Whatever. That’s not the point. The point is WTF. When is enough enough. The surgeon general is now warning of an “emerging” mental health crisis in our youth? You are seriously, just today, warning that there is a crisis that may or may not be starting in our young children. Are you joking? Do you think you are calling attention to this crisis? 

You should be advised that you are about two years too late. The party stopped a long time ago. The music stopped. Are you the only one who didn’t get a chair? That means you lost. You need to look more closely.

Didn’t you notice that the children were suddenly, without even knowing what was going on in a lot of cases, pulled out of life and living? They simply disappeared. The schools were closed. Stores were emptied. Restaurants were closed. 

Family dinners, family celebrations, vacations …these all stopped. Birthday parties were canceled. Birthdays were gone in the kids’ minds. Birthdays. My students were in tears about missed birthdays with grandparents, cousins, friends, and cupcakes. 

And the pandemic kept going. 

These children were gone. The schools were empty like fish bowls turned upside down. The goldfish flipped and flopped gasping for air, but there was none to be found. The water was gone.

These children had been surrounded by routines and schedules. They had warm places and warm hearts to rely on five days a week. They had safe and secure havens. They had breakfast and lunch provided for them, and sometimes snacks too. These children were afforded counseling services, a school nurse, a psychologist, a bus driver or teacher that they shared a special connection with. They had a library filled with books. They had art classes and music lessons and a gym to run around. 

And then these were taken away.

But you think these children are, two and a half years later, they are just now showing signs of possibly having anxiety and depression. 

Am I angry? You bet. These children have forgotten how to talk to one another. They have difficulty looking at a human face or maintaining eye contact when having a conversation. They cringe at a sneeze or cough and rather than say, “Bless you” or “Excuse me” the immediate response is, “Are you sick?” or “It’s just allergies!” It is a constant struggle all day long to ask the students to pull their masks up. I don’t want my students to cover their sweet faces. I want to see them. I want to know what their faces look like and see those toothless grins. How odd is it that I am teaching students to read when we don’t even know what each other looks like? Fifty years from now, will I be remembered as some masked shadow who taught that child his letters and sounds? So much has been lost.

The children have lost holidays and how to be a family. They lost the family connection. The big family dinners at Grandma and Grandpa’s house stopped. Those stories and conversations with deep and rich meaning and history ended. We all crawled into our shells and prayed for the end. We all hunkered down in our houses, tried to buy toilet paper on instacart, and binged on Netflix. I myself have only seen my parents three times in the last two and a half years. They live hours away and are elderly. We have only managed to meet up for lunches a few times in an outdoor, airy location. We also waited until everyone was fully vaccinated. My husband hasn’t been able to see them at all due to an unfortunate set of health circumstances for him. My children have also not seen my parents either. We have wanted to limit their exposure to people and up until recently they haven’t been able to be vaccinated. My parents aren’t getting any younger and this scares the hell out of me. 

I’m an adult and I am having these anger issues. I am feeling this anxiety and depression. I cannot imagine being a teenager during this. I can’t imagine being a ten year old living in this time. My five and six year old students are perplexed as to why they can’t sit near one another and share crayons.

Aren’t we all taught to share and get along with one another? Aren’t we innately social human beings? Why are we being kept six feet apart? How do we keep kindergarten students six feet apart during recess? 

My own child stared at a screen for his classes all day every day. He rarely turned his camera on. His teachers didn’t expect him to turn it on. They emailed packets to be completed each day by 2 o’clock. Every teacher. That’s right. Every teacher sent a packet to be completed by two o’clock. Six classes, about ten-fifteen pages in a packet. You can guess how much work he did in a day. Zero. I can’t say there was very much motivation. My son is the type of person who requires a teacher who teaches, not hands out a packet. He is a student who asks questions until he understands. He won’t quit until he gets it. Well, he used to be this way. Lately, he has given up. 

I can’t get my son to get out of bed most mornings. He used to be so happy and bubbly. He used to be the one telling the jokes and funny stories. He used to be the most energetic person in the house. Virtual learning for two years took its toll on him. Everything seems overwhelming. There are days when he can’t decide whether to wear socks or not. He can’t decide if he is going to shower now or in ten minutes. He is simply overwhelmed by life as all sense of control was quickly taken away. 

And so many people died. 

Every day. 

The news just came pouring in. Over the phones via texts and news stories. It was on TV. It was on the radio. It was being talked about at the dinner table and over breakfast. It was even on “Grey’s Anatomy.” There was no escaping the fact that this pandemic was killing people. Rapidly. It was not safe to leave the house. It was not safe for anyone to enter your house. 

It was like we had all entered our own shelter in place, like we practice at school five times a school year. Only this wasn’t a drill. This was the real deal. We closed our doors and didn’t venture out. And every one of us crawled inside, some crawled into their turtle shell and haven’t yet come back out. 

I thought with the return to in person learning this year, things would have improved. I thought with more people being vaccinated things would have improved. But that’s me, ever hopeful because without hope there’s despair. 

But it didn’t take the surgeon general telling me that our children may be feeling depressed and anxious. Moron. I am so tired of our country being reactive rather than being proactive.

We see that our children are struggling, so help them. We see we need more counselors, teachers, and paraprofessionals. We also know that the vaccine works. We need to be proactive. In this case, yes, put the cart before the horse. 

This is a matter of life and death. These children deserve our best. So please, please don’t tell me, “well that was dramatic.”

All my best,

A mother/teacher/wife/human being 

December 09, 2021 10:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Lucy G
16:05 Dec 16, 2021

The emotions captured are so powerful. Your writing perfectly puts into words what we have all felt, in some capacity, throughout the pandemic. It was raw and honest. Fantastically put together. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:40 Dec 17, 2021

Thank YOU so much for checking in and checking out my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Steckley
15:27 Dec 13, 2021

Definitely creative non-fiction, with a good view presented.

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:27 Dec 14, 2021

Thank you. I hadn't even thought of it as being creative non-fiction. Odd, but I hadn't even thought about that category! Thanks for pointing it out to me, not that I can change it now due to it already being submitted. Thank you for taking a look at my story and for commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
14:52 Dec 13, 2021

I- wow. This is such a powerful story. It speaks from a place of pain and frustration that I can relate to, and it's honestly so much more eloquently written than my stories that comes from the same place. This is intense and it's scary, but most of all, it is the world we live in. You write the words lodged deep into out worlds. And you give them life. Great read!!

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:18 Dec 14, 2021

Oh CC, how you flatter me so! This was just as the title indicates, a rant, a rage, a rambling stint of worry while stamping my feet and wanting to shout from the rooftop that life sucks right now, has been and will continue for the unforeseen future. Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment. I really so very much appreciate you! :)F

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
20:53 Dec 14, 2021

No problem!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
17:34 Feb 23, 2022

I always enjoy your stories. At the end you ask that they don't say, "that was dramatic ". But it was....because it has been dramatic this past few years. We need to be proactive - I can't agree more- I will continue to enjoy your stories as long ad you keep writing them....

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:04 Feb 24, 2022

This rant was quite, well, angry. I have so many more things to rant about. I am just waiting for the right prompt. Trust me. The inner rage is waiting to be unleashed at any moment...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Skinner
14:34 Dec 12, 2021

Guh. Good way to approach the prompt - the ending definitely hits. I felt for this narrator and was nodding my head as I read many of the lines. I liked how it bounced around showing how the last two years have affected everybody. There aren't any winners. The proactive vs reactive argument is what resonated with me most. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Francis Daisy
01:44 Dec 13, 2021

Scott, Thank you for reading and commenting. I feel that all too often our society functions as reactive rather than proactive (look at school shootings, for example). I'm glad you found that line. It is an important one, at least in my opinion. -Francis

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
14:12 Dec 12, 2021

This was a real eye-opener for me; the construction of your work is great and it made me reflect on my life for a bit. Could you please read my latest story if possible? :)) Thanks :))

Reply

Francis Daisy
01:39 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to comment. I will most certainly read your latest, with pleasure. Thank YOU for asking. :)

Reply

Palak Shah
21:21 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:30 Dec 14, 2021

It's all about the feedback on Reedsy. Without the suggestions, comments, and edits, we are all stagnant. We become better writers by building one another up. Thanks for helping me grow!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:46 Dec 14, 2021

Exactly, that is so right and I definitely agree to that :)) No worries, thank you for all your help :))

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:41 Dec 15, 2021

Here is another silly question for you: are you notified if you are short listed? It seems like I see so many writers have pieces that have been shortlisted. How would one know if they were short listed?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:29 Dec 12, 2021

Hi Francis, this was another important topic that you tackled with extreme surgical precision. I know the pandemic has effected everyone in some way and I think you touched on a lot of those topics. Especially with the children. So many lost opportunities. Time is our most precious resource and it's the one thing we can't get back. Very well done!! :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
08:40 Dec 12, 2021

Hello and thank you! My heart breaks a little bit more each day for these children...so the article from the surgeon general and that prompt were rather timely. I don't feel I am being dramatic when I watch my teenage daughter walk into her former elementary school cafeteria start crying because all the tables have been replaced by desks. She is hurt and confused as to why children can't be children. And she is sixteen. She asks me, "mom, these are the years the kids are supposed to be sitting and laughing and sharing their lunches and talki...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
18:33 Dec 12, 2021

I totally understand, my daughter is a special needs child and has to stay home for school via online learning. She hasn't been out much since this whole thing started. It's a hard time for everyone.

Reply

Francis Daisy
01:54 Dec 13, 2021

Just so you know, your words rendered me utterly speechless for a long time. I sat and stared at my screen and cried angry tears. What are we doing to our children in the name of keeping them safe? What are the long term effects? For now, we just keep hugging and talking and put one foot in front of the other. Some day, hopefully soon, the world will open back up again.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
07:33 Dec 13, 2021

Yeah, I hope the world will get back to normal soon. My little one loves going out, but with her health problems, we have to be very careful with where she goes, and she won't keep a mask on her face. She doesn't understand about the virus and I imagine a lot of kids don't either.

Reply

Francis Daisy
12:09 Dec 13, 2021

It's a balancing act between telling our children too much information and just enough information. We want them to understand the importance of hand washing and mask wearing and social distancing, yet we don't want them to be frightened.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
23:02 Dec 09, 2021

Great essay, Francis! I feel so bad for the children. They've been robbed of some very important freedoms that every previous generation has taken for granted. It's hard to argue with the necessity of some of these measures, but that doesn't make it any easier. Humans are very social animals and the lack of socialization might have repercussions for our youth that affect them well beyond the pandemic (which, by many accounts, might be with us for a long time if not the rest of time). But we are also an adaptable animal, and there will be way...

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:49 Dec 10, 2021

We have suffered a lot of losses, big and little. From the birthday parties, to being able to go to the local ice cream stand and buy and ice cream cone. We lost being able to go to the park and play on the swings. We lost going to the beach. We lost neighbors and grandparents. We lost people, places, and things. It is hard to navigate for sure. As adults we have coping skills. And children are adaptable, but, I think you are right in saying that they are losing their childhoods. The lost proms, sports teams, clubs, field trips, movies, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
22:35 Dec 09, 2021

Hello Francis, I enjoyed reading your piece, although, perhaps the word ‘enjoy’ isn’t appropriate here. Given the subject matter and circumstances it’s the wrong word entirely. However, I thought your writing was well paced and worked up to a devastating conclusion; we’ve all lost something, friends, contact, love and tolerance, and we’re careering away from a sense of ‘being human’. All those things we adults took for granted are the very things we must relearn and endeavour to teach our children from memory. Memories are more important no...

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:30 Dec 10, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment. It's amazing that you used the caterpillar analogy because I was thinking of chrysalis and how all of our children have turned into their tiny cocoons. Many, too many, have not yet emerged. Many have not yet spread their wings. Too many still have wet, damp, or damaged wings and cannot fly away. But I didn't want to put this in, as it just seemed too dramatic - for lack of a better term. Honestly, it makes me too sad to think about. You are absolutely correct, so much of our language i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
21:12 Dec 09, 2021

This is almost precisely how I feel about the whole thing. And I have heard lots of panicky "It's just allergies!" over the past two years too. "Some masked shadow" was well-put for how these teachers will be remembered. It's so sad.

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:24 Dec 10, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment. I am sorry to hear that you feel the same way. Please know you are not alone. It's not allergies, it's tears. I get it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
03:16 Dec 15, 2021

If I were going to write a series of rants, what would I find to rant about...and give the topic the justice and respect it deserves. AND ALSO, the rants would need to fit the prompt given. It's almost too broad a subject to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.