0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

I got into the first class compartment of a train that morning. The conductor who appeared very friendly led me to a 4 bedded enclosure and said “Sir this train isn’t very crowded. I’m sure you can travel alone in this enclosure.” I nodded. I knew the train had a two and a half hour run before halting at the first station Marigold Junction. In a short while the train picked up speed, and I watched trees run back alongside, went past a stone mountain and fields flooded with water in which white herons stood to grab fish.

What was I doing on the train? I am a middle aged widower and live in a retirement home. We had no children .Until a decade ago I was a superstar having acted in many films but now have lost popularity. I was on this train going to the capital for the launch of my book – actually my autobiography. Don’t think I’m a polymath! My book is ghost written by my friend Tom who resides in the same retirement home. In fact it was Tom who suggested I write and then he wrote the book!

A bearer now brought me a cup of hot coffee and I sat sipping it looking through the train’s window.

We were approaching bridge 47 which was reported to have collapsed only three days ago. The span was under repair and I saw a team of workmen standing aside of the rails for our train to pass. I knew repair work was in progress. The train went slowly over the bridge and when it was clear of it again picked up speed.

I remembered how I had bemoaned my exit from the film world to Tom. Tom had said “That’s the way of the world. As Omar Khayyam says: Some little talk awhile of thee and me/There seemed – and then no more of thee or me. Don’t feel bad.”

I had told Tom about my career: My loves with the leading ladies, my rescuing them in the sea or in lakes and rivers, my fights with fists and knives, my rapprochements to make the audience feel happy as they head home. I had narrated how many bad men I had to subdue and how many heroines I had to disappoint! Tom had patiently listened, taken notes and had created the text suitably.

“Using the book you’re writing I certainly want to remind the public about their neglect of me.”

Tom had laughed and said “They won’t care but if it gives you satisfaction go ahead.”

The steady movement of the train made me sleep and I lay down and slept till the train reached Marigold Junction. There a short burly fellow got in and made his way to my enclosure with the conductor in attendance. In fact I saw the conductor carrying the passenger’s baggage. Seeing my co-passenger and his bossy ways I had an instinctive dislike for him.

I heard the conductor say ing “Mr.Solomon, may I go?”

“Of course. Thank you for your help.”

As the conductor went elsewhere, a man with tattoos on his arm came in and Solomon ordered “Bring me my medicines at Salt Beach station.” The orderly who probably was travelling in another compartment, nodded and left.

I knew Salt Beach was the next major stop. Solomon seemed a taciturn individual. He would not even smile at me. He totally ignored me and concentrated on his phone. From the continuous messages exchanged it was obvious that he was in some kind of business. His having joined in my enclosure interrupted my reveries about the past.

The train was now going past high rise buildings and I knew I was nearing Salt Beach. It halted a moment near the station to perhaps take line clearance and with horn sounding halted at the platform. Solomon’s orderly came with two packages and was about to deliver them when a policeman who appeared said “Mr.Solomon give me those packages. I’m from narcotics prevention. You can see my card.”

The orderly disappeared.

The policeman said “Mr.Solomon I’m charging you with trafficking in narcotics. This co-passenger will be my witness.” He had pointed to me!

Solomon surrendered the packages silently. One of them contained medicines. The other had been packed with a few bananas.

Solomon laughed and said “You’re after the wrong guys. Why did you not examine one more package on the baggage shelf opposite?”

I said “There is only my suitcase there.”

The policeman pulled out a package and opening it said “Well, well, well! We have found nearly 5 kilos of drugs in this package.”

I said “Someone must’ve put it there.”

Another policeman dragged the orderly into the train and I punched him hard on his back saying “You blackguard you planted the drug there. The packing looks similar to the other two which were opened.”

Solomon said to me “You rascal you’ve no business punching my orderly.” He tried to attack me when the policeman intervened. I remembered how I had easily punched a thief on a film.

I shouted at the policemen “You’re all in this together including the conductor.”

The policeman said “Shut up or we’ll take you to the lock up.”

At this I retreated and sat back. There was a confidential chat between Solomon and the police after which the seized drug packet was handed over to Solomon himself!

I shouted “You’re a pack of thieves. You’re seizing drugs and .......”

Ignoring me the policemen left. I had no idea about what I could do in the matter. In a few minutes I got a phone message: “We know you’re the old time film hero. We know where you live. If you  complain to authorities in the matter the White Tigers will come for you. They will make you wish you were never born. Remember films are different from real life! Travel silently.”

I had thought of going further in the matter but then decided to remain silent as I was scared of mafias. I decided that the publicity with my book release was enough. After having listened to Tom I had bought a copy of the RUBAIYAT of Omar Khayyam. Finding the verses racy I had read them several times and some had even gone to memory. I recited these lines to myself to find consolation: Oh Thou, who man of baser earth didst make/And who with Eden didst devise the snake;/For all the sins wherewith the face of man/Is blacken’d – man’s forgiveness give and take!

Four days later I was back and told Tom about the incident on the train. He merely nodded and asked about the book release. I said there was only a tepid response.

He said “All just happened as I had thought!”

END

October 16, 2022 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.