0 comments

American Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

    There was once a simple question known as why? When it becomes as annoying as heck explaining, the simplest answer to it became “Because.” Because is identified and a conjunction. In Astronomy a conjunction is the position of any two bodies that appear to meet, such as two celestial bodies on the celestial sphere. So, when there is a continuous barrage of why then one must try and remain calm. One must turn their internal self in to a semi-irrational person and use the conjunction ‘because’ as a singular word statement to adjust to the fact that the other person is not planning to stop anytime soon.

   For someone to ask me questions such as why or how they must believe I have an answer. Now whether that is because I am older, more experience, read more, or simple give off an aura of knowledge is a puzzlement to me that I have yet to figure out. What I do know is that even though there is no such thing as a stupid question, there are sadly many people that behave stupidly. So even the most tolerant of individuals will at some point become completely feed up and blurt out the statement “Because I said so!” It is rather a common expression among parents, sibling, relatives, babysitters, and some other individuals. It can even be heard in certain occupations such as the military, the police force, management, and other area were some is allegedly another superior and therefore you must obey them.

  That bloody phrase, “because I said so,” might even be something that could save your life. For example. You are on a hike with a friend. Your friend sees a lethal snake that you do not. They yell at you, “stop don’t move,” as they see the snake coiling to strike. When you blurt out why they are really not concerned about anything other then you or them being bit so they say, obviously, “because I said so.”

   More often or not the phrased is used in the following scenario. 6 am Monday, “mom why do I have to take a shower before going to school? You give a sensible answer, “Because it will help wake you up and you be clean and fresh for the day. 6:30 am “mom why do I have to eat breakfast if I’m not hungry? You reply, because your body and brain need fuel and energy so you can think better and feel good. 7 am” mom why can’t I wear shorts and crocs to school today? Your reply because it’s 40 degrees outs side and the weather person days it’s supposed to rain. Mind you during that hour from 6am to 7 am you are also trying to get ready for work, pack lunches, make sure books and homework are in the backpack, make sure your supplies and office work are in your briefcase and looking around to see what else needs to be done before you leave to get the kid to school by 8 am and yourself to work by 9 am.

  Out of the house and to the car and away you go.7:30 am” Mom why do we always have to leave at 7:30? “So, we can be where we need to be on time.” 7:45 am “mom why do I have to go to after school program, can’t I just take the bus home? “No be you can’t because the law states you have to be at least 11 before you can be home by yourself. Car door slams and you’re of to work. Ah 15 minutes of peace. You find a parking spot and are walking into your office at exactly 8:55. Your business associated comes in Why aren’t you in the conference room we have a teleconference. You don’t reply and head for the meeting. 9:30 am, “Okay so why are we showing s decrease in sales?” You respond with a well-documented group of facts. 10 am meeting ends and you associate asked, “Why are you always so prepared.” You just laugh. 10:30 am one of your managers that you supervise asks, why don’t we take an early lunch I have some ideas to increase sales. Lunch finishes at 12pm and you arrive back in the office. So far you have been asked why almost ten times and it only just the afternoon.

   From 12 pm to 2 pm you have a department meeting to brainstorm about increasing sales. A none stop barrage of why don’t we try this, why can’t we do that and why don’t you believe it will work. 2pm meeting ends and you step into your office and close the door. From 2 pm to 5pm not one why is heard. You open your office door and head on home. You stop at the local market to pick up some groceries and the deli man say’s, “why don’t you try some of this new cheese?” I nod. The produce clerk yells out, “hey why don’t you try some of these new strawberries we just got in? Again, you nod. Finally, you make it out to the car and had on home. You go in to the garage, grasp the bags and head into the kitchen to start dinner. You can tell your child is home because you hear music coming from the bed room. You finish setting the table, get the dinner done and head upstairs to knock on the door. You knock and open up the door and see you child and another child doing homework. “Sorry kid but it’s time for dinner and your friend has to go home. They say their goodbyes and you tow sit down to eat. You ask about school, you finish eating and your say, “okay time to help with the dishes.” But mom why do I always have to help with the dishes, I’m tired” You reply well with both tired and we can get them done quicker if we do them together. Kitchen clean, foods put away and you say. “Okay kiddo time for bed.” “But mom why it’s still early?  Answer “BECAUSE I SAID SO!

May 20, 2021 04:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.