Implementation

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about activism.... view prompt

3 comments

General

      ─ Is it available here? She looked up. The man was around thirty, maybe.

      ─ Yes, always room for freedom. She smiled gently.

He sat down on the other end of the bench. At once, the robot rolled towards them. “Two meters between, everything OK” whistled it. Then it moved on. 

      ─ I never get used to that, she sighed. 

─ I agree, totally. But on the other hand, it doesn`t discriminate against anyone. Everyone must keep the same distance. 

─ Sure. But I can`t imagine the prime minister be measured by anything. 

─ That is true. She does not meet strangers in the park, either, I suppose. He smiled. 

She tried to sit still but wrung her hands. Didn`t know how she should sit, what to say. When she looked at him, he steadily caught her eye for some seconds. 

      ─ Do you have downloaded the tracing app from the Government?

      ─ No.

      ─ Good. Do you have a Facebook profile? 

      ─ No, deleted it last year.

─ Good.

─ And I left my mobile at home, as I was told.

─ Good. I hope you also have the tracing off anyway. The surveillance is always there, you know.

─ Yes, and that scares me. 

They kept quiet for some minutes. She felt uneasy. This person said so little. 

─ Relax. The first meeting has little information. It was like he read her mind. ─ I am leaving now. Tomorrow at the same time you will meet another person on the bench outside the town hall. 

She stayed seated while she watched him walk down the street. What had she said yes to? 

─ Is it available here? She looked up. The woman was around forty, maybe.

      ─ Yes, always room for freedom. She smiled gently.

The woman sat down at the other end of the bench. The robot came immediately, measured the distance, and rolled away again. 

─ What happens if we had less distance between us? She asked with a whispering voice. 

─ Don`t you know? Then it makes a lot of whistles until a constable will enter towards us. Make sure that you don`t cry, because then the same will happen. Just look over there. 

The woman pointed with her head towards the bench on the other side of the town hall. A constable walked towards two women sitting on the bench with a robot in front of them making noise. One of them sat leaning forward and the other one had laid her arm on her shoulder. They could not hear what was being said, but the constable looked strict and said something. The women moved away from each other and they straightened up. The constable and the robot moved away.

─ Who invented machines for surveillance out of lawnmower robots? The woman sighed. ─ And I appreciated new technology for use in the homes. 

─ I have no idea. I have just stayed obedient at home all this time. What had happened if they didn`t do what they were told?

      ─ Then the constable would have written a big-ticket. 

─ That`s stupid. And it`s hard to get acquainted with our Norwegian democracy changed into dictatorship, in only 5 years. It`s unbelievable!

─ Please be careful with your words. You should talk in code. But you`re right, that`s why so few people make resistance. They can`t believe what`s happening. 

They were sitting on the bench without speaking for a while. She felt empty and sad. 

      ─ Why did you contact us?

      ─ Because I can`t live like this anymore!

The woman nodded.

─ My boyfriend tried to warn me. I didn’t believe him. It was him that started to call this a “plandemic”. I listened more to the governments than him, and I chose to follow the quarantine requirements. Now he has become public enemy number one. It`s insane. I miss him really, really much. 

─ Don`t start crying. The woman looked her into her eyes. ─ We don`t want the constable to be aware of us, do we?

She tried to smile at the same time that she glanced at the leaves on the trees next to the bench. The slow wind made them move slowly. 

    ─ Have you been vaccinated?

─ Oh God, no! 

─ Then it`s urgent to get you out of here. I suppose you know that they are training dogs to smell who is without the protection against the virus, as they call the vaccine. And they have apps to watch over the vaccinated persons.  

She shook her head and closed her eyes for a second. 

      ─ Where do you want to go?

      ─ Do I have a choice?

      ─ Yes. Finland, Portugal, or the Maldives. 

─ I didn`t know. I can understand Finland, maybe also Portugal, but I thought the Maldives were inundated by the sea by now?

─ That is the big climate hoax. 

─ He talked a lot about that, too.

─ No tears now! The woman had a strict tone in her voice.

─ New person and new bench tomorrow at the same time.

Then you need to have made up your mind.

─ When am I allowed to cry?

─ At home deep under your blanket. The woman had a

tightness in her voice before she smiled warmly. ─ Good luck

with your life!

─ Is it available here? She looked up.

The man was old and had a lot of white hair and a beard. He reminded her of her dear grandfather, who died ten years ago. 

      ─ Yes, always room for freedom. She smiled warmly.

He sat down at the other end of the bench. The robot came rolling immediately. 

─ I don`t need to ask you any questions for checking your story.

You are as beautiful as in the photo. 

She felt that she looked totally stupid with open mouth and round eyes. He laughed with a calm and confident sound. Never before did she want that strongly to hug a stranger.

      ─ Have you made up your mind?

      ─ No. I am escaping. It`s the same where just get me out of here.

      ─ Then we need to make the decision. Do you trust me?

      ─ Yes.

─ Go home. Pretend everything to be as usual. Prepare to leave

in a second. You can`t take anything with you, only what you can

get into a small bag. Leave no traces. Crush your mobile and

throw it in a garbage container three blocks from your home.

Don`t mention your plans for anyone, not even to the dog you

don’t have. Do you understand? 

─ Yes.

─ We will be in touch within a week. 

He stood up, slowly. The left foot seemed weak. He took a step towards her and changed his voice to whispering. 

─ I know your loved one. He got happy yesterday. He thought

you still were angry at him. 

      ─ Will I get to meet him? Please!

The old man took a step behind but smiled. 

      ─ Have faith. 

She was standing as frozen as long as she could watch the man walk towards the main street. Then she turned around and wanted to run and jump and laugh loudly. She saw a robot and calmed down. They couldn`t get to know this if she should be able to meet her loved one again. 

June 12, 2020 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

18:11 Jun 16, 2020

Cool concept, though a bit confusing... I really enjoyed this, Thanks for writing it!

Reply

Liv Sandbakk
20:46 Jun 17, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Faith Chrayon
16:53 Jun 18, 2020

I agree. Maybe you can edit the outline next time. But I was hooked! 👏👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.