4 comments

Fantasy Fiction

The small town, Towns End, nestled at the foot of Mount Aldebrang, was a popular place to stop for rest for traders, making the journey through the mountain pass. The Inn had grown over the years, Tau’s father had added extensions, as had his father before him. The different wood and different workmanship gave the building character. 


It was late when the guest arrived. He banged the snow off his boots and entered. Tau was used to strangers arriving like this. The pass was treacherous, so successful merchants sent paid men to move their goods. It was rare to get repeat customers. Something about this guest felt off though. Tau could not put his finger on it. 

The guest approached, but stopped short of the bar, tilting his green hooded head as though listening. 


“Welcome friend, you need a room?” 


The greeting was met with an awkward silence, until finally, the guest continued to approach, “One room, one week, full board.”


“Looking to ride out the storm?” Tau said. 


“Something like that,” the guest said. 


“Not sure what I have for a week, let me see,” as Tau retrieved the bookings, the guest dropped a dozen gold pieces on the counter. Tau took the gold, it was good, so he gave a key to the guest. 

“Take the room at the top. What’s your name?” Tau asked.


“You may call me, Will.” Tau felt as though he was being given permission to use the name, rather than making acquaintance. 


“Very well, any luggage, Will?”


Will turned away, to head for the room, “I travel light.”


Two days had passed until Tau saw Will again. Will staggered in, not drunk, but exhausted. He slumped down at a table. He waved a hand in the air, gesturing for service. Tau stayed the maid, “No, let me.” He approached Will to get a closer look. “Whats your poison?” Tau said. 


Will looked up, eyebrows drawn down in a frown, “I’m not poisoned,” he said. 


“Huh, no, it’s just a saying round here. I mean, what can I get you to drink?” Tau said. 


Will wearily set his eyes down upon the table, “My misunderstanding, I apologise. A whiskey?”


“You run into a spot of bother?”


Will pulled his green robe over the blood spatters on his arm, and stood, “I’ll take it in my room. Can you have it sent up?” It was more of an instruction than a question, but Tau nodded confirmation. 


Tau poured the whisky and called over one of the maids, “Take it up, but don’t talk to him.” 


“Yes, Sir.”


“What are your thoughts?” Asked Josephine, as she wrapped her arms around Tau, resting her head on his back. 


“I’m not sure, yet. I've seen his kind before, but I can’t place it. I don’t like it, but he has paid handsomely for basic lodging.”


She squeezed him, “Well, only a few more days. Don’t be getting all nosey, digging around like last time. His business is none of our business. As long as the golds good.” 


Tau knew, but his intrigue always got the better of him eventually. He would just have to keep busy. 


The snow was getting worse, and the Inn was emptying out. Tau didn’t expect any new guests now, the mountain pass was likely impassable. There were only a handful of guests left, and Will. 


Unlike every other day, today, Will had remained in the bar. He sat by the window, his hood up, covering his face. He did not drink or eat anything. He was there so long, being so quiet, that Tau forgot he was even present a few times. Tau was busying himself, wiping down a table when he heard something outside. It sounded like a high pitched wail. Will stood sharply, taking Tau by surprise. 


“That’s some storm,” Tau said.


Wills eyes set upon Tau, the intense stare unnerving him. “Do you have a basement?”


“Yeah, well, of sorts. It’s an outhouse out back, it goes underground. it’s where we store the liquor.”


“Get down there, now, take your staff and guests.”


Tau chuckled, “I’ve been here for 20 years, no storm has got me yet.” 


The window illuminated in a blue flash, followed by a red flickering of fire. Something was burning outside. 


“This is something else,” Will said. 


The wooden door of the Inn suddenly exploded open, splinters flying everywhere. The maid screamed. Two men, all in black, their faces covered except for the eyes, ran in with swords drawn. A guest was too close to them to get away. One of the men slashed the back of his legs as he ran, then, as he lay helpless on the floor, impaled him through his heart. 


Tau called to his wife, “Josephine, get the girls out of here.” 


She protested, but he stood his ground, “Go, now.” 


Tau reached under the bar and pulled out his sword. It had been 30 years since he served in the Kings Army, and not much less than that since he last used the sword, but he felt the familiar pumping of his heart as he prepared to fight, he almost welcomed it. 


He saw one of the men run toward Will. Tau was about to shout to Will, but then through the dark and the settling dust, he saw the unmistakable blue glow of a Protectors sword illuminate. Tau had fought along side one, back in the final battle when they reclaimed Stronghold. Fearsome warriors from the Starlight Realm. That was what he saw in Will. The man attacking Will was either oblivious of what Will was, or reckless. Tau watched the glow of the sword arc and swoop as Will swung his attack. The attacker was cut in two, the sword passing through him like he was made of clay. 


The second attacker was almost upon Tau, who was in a fighting stance, muscle memory kicking in. Tau was pleased with his defensive blocks, he was a bit cumbersome, but effective. He spotted an opening, and without hesitation, flicked his sword, cutting the attackers arm deep, making him drop his sword. He then thrust his sword into the attackers chest. 


Will approached Tau, observing the dead man at his feet, “Not bad, for an Inn Keeper.”


Tau knew the Starlight formal greeting,”I am Tau Jones of Towns End, formerly a warrior of Stronghold, and I yield to you,” 


Will bowed his head, “I am Will Runesflame of the Starlight Realm, and I yield to you, Inn Keeper.”


More men entered the Inn. Will turned and shot each with a light bolt from his Protectors sword. The weapon always amazed Tau. One minute it was a sword, the next a bow, shooting arrows made of light. 


“Who are these men?” Tau asked. 


“Followers of Arcanvor.”


“Arcanvor was destroyed at the last battle, I saw it with my own eyes.”


“Not destroyed, imprisoned. His soul is trapped in King Ritters sword. These men are seeking it. As am I.”


“What makes you all think it’s here?” Tau asked. 


“Prophecy.” Another man ran in, this time Will cut the man down with his sword. “And the company you keep.”


Well shrugged, “What company?”


Another group of men surged inside. Tau and Will stood back to back as they fought. The men were no match for them. The bodies were quickly piling up. 


“Aleks Ritter,” Will said. 


Tau would have been shocked that anyone knew, they were so careful to hide his identity when he came. A fake name, civilian clothing and no guards. Even Josephine did not know this occasional guest was the boy prince. Yet he was not surprised a Protector knew. 


“He’s not here,” Tau said. 


“He is late and it worries me. But if they had him already, they would not be attacking now.”


“Even if he was here, he wouldn’t have his fathers sword.”


Will looked disheartened, “He would this night. He will betray his father, for love.” 


The sound of screams came from out back, “Josephine.” Tau ran, Will followed.


Josephine was surrounded by the attackers. She held a small blade, and she was furiously pointing it at the men as they edged closer to her. The maid cowered behind her. One man lay on the floor, rolling in pain as he bled out. Tau put him out of his misery, and then engaged the attackers from behind. The first few were taken down without a fight. Will looking like he was effortlessly dancing around them. Tau was not so effortless, but no less deadly. One of the attackers, distracted by the counter attack, soon felt Josephines knife slammed into the back of his neck. 


Tau stood panting, holding onto Josephine. The town was on fire. A large dark shadow flew through the smoke over their heads. 


“Take cover,” Will said. They ran to the opening of the store room. The night air lit up as a fire ball hurled across the sky, smashing into the Inn. Tau watched teary eyed as the fire engulfed the wooden structure. The dark shadow continued over the town shooting more fire into the other building’s. 


“What now?” Tau said. 


Will placed a hand on his shoulder, “You continue to survive. Dark times are coming Tau, and the forces of good will need strong men like you. I am honoured to have crossed your path and fought with you.”


“Can they really bring the Dark Lord back?”


Will nodded, “It has been foreseen, but there is one so can stop it. Until we can identify the one, I must try get the Kings sword from Aleks, before it falls into their hands.” Will put his own sword away. 


“Head South, there is an old wood barn that Aleks sometimes stays in, when it’s too risky to come here,” Tau said. 


“Thank you, Tau of Towns End. Perhaps our paths will cross again.”


Tau watched as Will left, disappearing into the darkness of the trees. The Inn was unrecognisable now, already burned down to within a meter or two of the ground. The town beyond glowed bright as it burned. Tau pulled the heavy storage door shut, and bolted himself, Josephine and the terrified maid inside. 


Tau looked at his sword, his old friend. Now the Inn was gone, this was his last possession. He studied it, watching the glints of light as he turned the blade, thinking of the battles he had been in, the sacrifices he had already made, and the friends he had lost. All that, for 30 years of peace. Now it seemed the world had gone full circle, and the same battles were starting all over again. Tau had hoped he would die in peace, but it felt like he was being dragged back into the fray once more. 



January 21, 2022 18:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Xylianna Clay
05:34 Jan 28, 2022

This was interesting, I'd love to read more. I wasn't expecting the time period going in! I like the characters you developed in such a small space, thank you for sharing!

Reply

Greg Short
13:45 Jan 28, 2022

Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed it. I plan on doing more short stories in this world, so maybe Tau will reappear again soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard Hann
22:02 Jan 26, 2022

I loved the way you left me wanting to know more, did the prince survive and if so what happend to him? I really enjoyed reading your story

Reply

Greg Short
20:32 Jan 27, 2022

Thank you for reading it, I am pleased you enjoyed it. I have been writing a longer piece based in this world, but I like to write some short stories in it too to get the brain going. My other short story, Snow Hawk, about the fate of the prince can be found at https://theshortscribe.weebly.com/short-story-collection.html

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.