0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

Dear Diary, 

Mama and Papa think I'm lying. Everyday, I cam hear bells in the woods behind our house. Not the kinds of bells that you find ringing on a Cathedral. They sounded a lot like jingle bells, the kind that you imagine when you think of Christmas. I want to enter the woods, but every time I hear the bells, it is always dark. Mama and Papa are always warning me that things are always more dangerous in the dark. I want to prove them wrong.

Signing off, 

Isabelle Flores.

~~~

Isabelle, or Isa as her family called her was always the odd one of all of her siblings. She often preferred the darkness, and adored the forest. Her sisters would often find her reading outside at night, beneath the bright blue glow of the Christmas lights that her parents had never truly learned how to take down. 

"Isa! Isa! Why do you like the dark?" Alexis, the youngest of four girls had asked her once. Alicia, the second youngest looked at her older sister expectantly. Isabelle smirked. Now was the time for her to tell the two youngest her newest creation.

"Don't tell Angelica. Okay?"

"Aren't twins supposed to tell each other everything?"

"Everyone has their secrets. There are things that even I don't know about her."

There was an adorable "Ooh" sound that left her little sisters. It made Isa's smile widen playfully. 

"Well, I'm friends with nighttime. It is a much nicer person than most and always likes to tell me jokes and fun stories. I am very happy to be friends with it. Although, I wish I could hear it's name." 

Her little sisters smiled. "Wow! That's so cool! What does Nighttime look like?" 

Isa thought for a moment. "I don't know. It won't show it's face to me. Nighttime lives in the forest, so maybe someday I'll get to see Nighttime again."

~~~

Dear Diary,

It's me again. Today, I told Alexis and Alicia about my friend. They think that Nighttime is a real person. Although I think I could use this to keep them from telling Mama and Papa. This might be one of the best ways for me to know where the bells are coming from. This is all for now. Thanks for always listening to me. 

Signing off, 

Isabelle Flores.

~~~

That night, Isabelle set up a pile of pillows and plushies as she had seen on cartoons. "They'll never know!" She whispered to her pink plush dog, Miss Puff. She filled a single backpack with snacks, a blanket, her toy camera, her favorite story book, some crayons, and some lose pages. Isabelle, dressed in pink leggings, a shirt with a moon design climbed out of the basement window that faced in the direction of the woods. She pulled on her light up sketchers, and her oversized blue jacket, and stomped. Satisfied with the colorful reaction, she marched. "Let's go, Miss Puff." She looked to her light up watch, unsure of how to read the hands, but sure that she'd be home quick. 

As she made her way into the woods, she would dig her heel into the dirt as a way to mark her path back home. Her plan was truly perfect. 

A while of walking later, Isa found a nice space at the roots of one of the Sequoia trees. found in the forest. She set up her base, sprawling the blanket into the hole and curling her small body into a ball. "Ok, Miss Puff. It's your turn to watch. Your mission is to tell me if you hear the bells!" The young girl saluted the pink puppy, before opening her bag. 

She pulled out her snacks, munching on the mini cheese balls that she had saved away from whenever he mother gave out snacks. She liked the cool breeze of the night, as well as the peaceful blanket calm darkness. Over the course of an hour, she felt herself begin to drift off to the warmth provided from her fluffy blanket. She closed her eyes for a while, breathing in the fading scent of fabric softener. 

~~~

About an hour later, the bells resounded from the clearing in the woods. Directly in front of Isa's tree. She stirred, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes and gasped. 

"Miss Puff! Why didn't you wake me up?" Came her quiet scolding. A sapphire glint from her plushie's black button eyes was what alerted her. As quickly as she could, Isa shifted from her laying form to a kneel, she stared through the thin branches from behind one of the large roots. A perfect hiding place, if she did say so. 

Isa's eyes widened as a star seemed to collide with the forest's clearing, the light temporarily blinding her. It took a few seconds before she could look back up. She felt excited, yet terrified. It seemed as if it were something that she should not be seeing. She watched.

Where the star had fallen, stood a large, winged beast. A panther. Isa recalled. It stood at half of the height of the Sequoia tree. Isa held her breath. Panthers are dangerous. The beast raised its head, yawning and stretching it's large wings. The feathers, Isa noticed, resembled the night sky. A beautiful midnight blue, with silver speckles that seemed to glow. Around it's neck was a silver chain with a crescent moon. Pretty.

"Goodness, it's still early. I suppose I should get a head start." She's a girl! So cool!

The panther began to walk into the deeper part, completely obscured by the dark. Isa put her hand on the ground, before the crinkling of the snack wrapper announced her presence. Isa winced, when the beast froze, whipping around to face in her direction.

"WHO GOES THERE!" She boomed, her snarl echoing through the forest. Isa could have sworn the darkness felt much colder than before. 

"SHOW YOURSELF FIEND!" The beast lowered herself to the ground, stalking toward little Isa, who was frozen with fear. The glowing gold of her eyes seemed to be looking at Isa with the intent to kill. She sniffed the air, before pausing. I'm scared.

Suddenly, the hostile aura dropped, replacing itself with an air of confusion. 

"A cub? What's a human cub doing out here at this hour?

She stalked toward Isa, stopping only a few feet in front of Isa's secret base. She lowered herself into the ground, laying before her.

"You can come out now, little one. I won't hurt you."

Isa shakily stood. "U-um... Hello. I'm sorry." She stepped back. 

"You needn't fear me, young one. Here, I'll tell you my name. Then I won't be so scary, right?"

Isa's wide eyes looked up, hesitantly nodding at the panther.

"My name is Nyx. I am the guardian of the night, and protector of this forest. It's very nice to meet you."

Isa, shakily nodded, before opening her mouth. "My... My name is Isabelle Flores. But- my little sisters call me Isa. It's nice to meet you too." She walked out, standing a little over half a foot in front of Nyx. The panther smiled at her, resembling the cartoony Cheshire cat from her favorite movie, with an air of elegance surrounding her. Isa smiled back. 

"There's a good girl. I'm terribly sorry I scared you. I thought you were a Shade, or a Nightmare."

"What are those?"

"Quite the curious one, I've stumbled across." Nyx sighed jokingly. "Worry not, cub. It's best you not concern yourself with such trivial things. More importantly, what has brought you out here at such a late hour? Aren't humans afraid of the dark?

Isa quickly jumped, excited. "No way Miss Nyx! I love the dark!" As if suddenly realizing her outburst, Isa seemed to shrink, a bright red hue darkening her tan face. "I love the night."

Nyx, now thoroughly amused, chuckled a bit. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to show you my domain. Well, child of man. 'Hop on.' As the youths these days say." Needing no other invitation, the young girl grabbed Miss Puff, packed her backpack, and ran. Nyx looked pleased at how Isa's shoes would light up as she ran. The small girl struggled for a bit before Nyx lifted Isa with her tail.

"Hold on now, this will be quite the windy ride."

~~~

Isa's happy squealing resounded throughout the forest as Nyx took flight, the stars on her wings glimmering with every movement. Every once in a while, she would perform a loop or a sudden drop to elicit laughter from her new little companion.

It's been so long since I've met someone new.

Every so often, Nyx would spot a ghostly white Shade, or a tall, dark Nightmare and she would tell little Isa to close her eyes. "This will be very bright for your eyes." Was what she would tell the little human. Before she would release a roar and would envelope the monsters of the night in a bright light.

Young Isa does not need to see such gruesome things. I will protect you.

~~~

Three hours before sunrise, when Nyx would inevitably return to her home in the sky to be replaced by Sol, she sensed Isa begin to drift to sleep on Nyx's back. "I believe it's time we return you home, little one."

"But I want to stay with you a little longer, Miss Nyx. Mis Puff agrees too."

"... I have finished my duties earlier than expected. I will stay with you, until you fall asleep. Does that sound good?"

"Yes."

Nyx's heart warmed, allowing for her to release a fond purr. She'd made a friend for the first time in centuries. She looked ahead, picking up a scent similar to Isa's, and she followed it.

"Hey, Miss Nyx?"

"Yes, Child of Man?"

"Will I be able to see you again tomorrow?"

A breathy laugh was heard. "Of course, little cub. But, will you promise me that you will keep me a secret?"

"Yes Miss Nyx. This is our little secret."

"Good Girl."

~~~

Dear Diary,

When I told people about the bells in the forest, no one believed me. I think that's a good thing. I went out into the forest when everyone was sleeping. Miss Puff came with me, so I was safe. What I saw in the woods was a very pretty thing. But I can't tell you either because I promised her that no one would know. It was a pinkie promise! Even if she doesn't have any pinkies. She gave me a star too! I'm keeping it safe in my locket. We're gonna meet again today at the entrance of the woods. I'm going to bring some snacks and a book for her! I have to get ready now, but thank you for listening to me!

Signing off,

Isabelle Flores

P.S. Don't tell mama and Papa!

December 16, 2022 21:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.